Boston transportation questions..help

bunduo

My DW and I are flying into Boston on June 5th and plan on using public transportation for the two days we are in the city prior to the cruise. We are flying in on Delta staying at the Westin Copley Place. Where is the bus stop at the Delta Terminal? How far is the airport from the Westin? It looks like we take the Silver line (SL1) from the airport to the World Trade Center stop? Is this correct? Are there any transfers involved or do we stay on the bus? How far is the bus stop from the Westin? How far is the Westin from the Black Falcon pier? Is it walkable or should we take public transportation?

I know there is a lot of questions but any insights would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Firstly, from the Airport to Copley Place:

The bus stops are clearly marked as you exit baggage claim. You have two choices, but both of them will require two transfers. You could either take the Silver Line SL1 bus to South Station, change to the Red Line to Park Street, and then to the Green Line to Copley Square; or you could take the Airport Shuttle Bus (#22, or #33 -- whichever comes to your terminal) to the Airport station, transfer to the Blue Line to Government Center, and then to the Green Line to Copley Square. Not sure one of those options is clearly better than the other.

On Departure, from Copley Square to the Black Falcon Terminal:

You will take the Green Line to Park Street, change to the Red Line to South Station, and then take the Silver Line SL2 or SL3 all the way to the Black Falcon terminal.

The World Trade Center stop on the Silver Line is not one you will need for either arrival or departure.

The Copley Square green line stop is a block or so from the Westin Copley Place. The Black Falcon pier is right at the SL2/SL3 bus stop.

Hope that answers all your questions. You might want to consult the MBTA website at http://www.mbta.com for maps and estimated times for all your various segments. My rough estimate would be 30 minutes each way, but it could be longer depending on how long you have to wait for each transfer and how long it takes you to drag all your luggage from one platform to another at each transfer point. Each segment, however, is quite a short ride.

Firstly, from the Airport to Copley Place:

The bus stops are clearly marked as you exit baggage claim. You have two choices, but both of them will require two transfers. You could either take the Silver Line SL1 bus to South Station, change to the Red Line to Park Street, and then to the Green Line to Copley Square; or you could take the Airport Shuttle Bus (#22, or #33 -- whichever comes to your terminal) to the Airport station, transfer to the Blue Line to Government Center, and then to the Green Line to Copley Square. Not sure one of those options is clearly better than the other.

On Departure, from Copley Square to the Black Falcon Terminal:

You will take the Green Line to Park Street, change to the Red Line to South Station, and then take the Silver Line SL2 or SL3 all the way to the Black Falcon terminal.

The World Trade Center stop on the Silver Line is not one you will need for either arrival or departure.

The Copley Square green line stop is a block or so from the Westin Copley Place. The Black Falcon pier is right at the SL2/SL3 bus stop.

Hope that answers all your questions. You might want to consult the MBTA website at http://www.mbta.com for maps and estimated times for all your various segments. My rough estimate would be 30 minutes each way, but it could be longer depending on how long you have to wait for each transfer and how long it takes you to drag all your luggage from one platform to another at each transfer point. Each segment, however, is quite a short ride.

Thanks! I am printing your post as I write this! Much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I moved to Arizona from Boston three years ago, and used the T a lot. However, it is MUCH easier to take a taxi to your hotel from the airport (and from the hotel to the cruise port), and to me it is well worth the extra cost.

I agree with Klauer. Take a taxi from Airport to Westin and Westin to Black Falcon Pier. You will have bags and getting around on Subway/busses will be hard. The airport is right accross the harbor from "town". The Pier is similar distance away from Westin but slightly different direction.

Do public transportation or walk (very walkable city) once settled. Do a Duck Tour, walk down Newbury St and have lunch at one of the cafes on the street. Tour the Museum of Fine Arts and/or Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Take the T over to Harvard Square and walk around. Do the Freedom trail, Fanueil Hall, etc. The Aquarium is nice.

June will be beautiful.

For a great view, go to top of Prudential (Restaurant there, Top of the Hub-expensive for a meal but can go to the bar for a drink or dessert and see views.)

The Red Sox are in town if you want to try for a game (can walk from Copley).

Right accross Copley Square is the Boston Public Library which has some great art work on the walls.

The new Apple Store just opened. May be fun to wander around.

• 1 month later...

We were there last year at about the same time. We did the Trolley tour. It drives all around Boston, the best part is that you can get on/off all day. We did the Fenway Park tour (awesome), we were able to spend the whole day there. we also spent another day doing the walking tours.

I would highly suggest the Trolly tours.

i grew up in the city. Please take a taxi to hotel. most likely your hotel has a shuttle bus-have you asked. also you must take a taxi to the pier. bus's and bags do not mix.

I went back several years ago and did the Duck tour. it was the best Duck tour i have been on and i grew up there.

never did the trolley tour as i walk all over. but Fenway is a must of the Soxs are not in town. if they are get a game ticket. also eat somewhere by Quincy market. I love the food hall. i can taste the clams now. Yummy!

Archived