Tipping ??

BluexMoon

Thats right...stiff them, give them more money than they could ever make at home, better housing than they currently live in and benefits to help there families...boy we surely showed them. I'm so glad we rape all the other countries like that, its what makes america great.

Oh the drama!!!! Tipping is a part of cruising... PERIOD. If someone cannot handle paying $10 per day... they should look into other vacations, IMHO. It is absolutely ridiculous the threads that get posted day after day after day... Tipping is NOT a new thing... Geez :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why would you reduce the tips? I guess I could understand if your steward and wait staff didn't show up, your bed was never made, you never had towels and your room was never clean... but why else? Just curious....

The wait team we had last year on the Victory showed up, but just barely. There were 11 of us assigned to a table for 10, and when we arrived the first night our waiter said there were too many of us and we couldn't all sit there. We told him we were all assigned to that table, and if he would just get us another chair, we'd be just fine. He said no, he was going to go talk to the Maitre 'D. I told him the Maitre 'D was already aware because I had spoken to him earlier in the day when I tried to get us changed to the late dining we had requested. The MD had told us the only way all 11 of us could sit together is if we stayed at the table and dining time we had been assigned, so that is what we did. Every night for the first three nights of the cruise we had to ask for that 11th chair when we arrived for dinner, and it was downhill from there.

We were on time every single night of the cruise (often arriving before they opened the doors), and were among the last out of the dining room each night. We often received our entrees when the table next to us was finishing up their dessert. Our assistant waiter would usually fill our water glasses or bring iced tea before our salads arrived, but it was extremely difficult to get refills or more bread once he'd been around the first time. (If it wasn't for our wonderful bar waitress promptly bringing champagne, I would have died of thirst.) ;) Any questions or special requests were met with "no, we can't do that" (and I can't remember now what it was we asked of him, but I remember we were saying to each other that this had never happened on our other cruises). We're not complainers, but by the third night we had just about had enough. The Maitre 'D stopped by our table and asked how everything was, and I'm sure he was sorry he did. I told him that while the people next to us (who arrived 15 minutes after us) already had their entrees, half of us were still waiting for our appetizers. The other half had actually gotten theirs about 10 minutes earlier, and as usual our water glasses were empty and none of us got bread. I also told him that, unfortunately, the service that night was similar to the first two nights. He looked furious and said he'd see what he could do. The next night, service was marginally improved, but by the fifth night we were back to the same poor service. The Maitre 'D never stopped by our table again, but one night on our way out of the dining room I happened to overhear other people from another table complaining to him about the same waiter.

So, in this case do you think we should have reduced their tips or not? Did I? NO, because I'm a big sucker and just couldn't bring myself to do it. I was afraid they were new, or stretched too thin, or whatever. In hindsight, I probably did the people on the next cruise who got stuck with this wait team a disservice. No reason for them to improve their service if their wallets don't suffer. I did write to Carnival after our cruise to let them know what we thought of our cruise (good and bad points). That was our first cruise with the automatic tips and I was not impressed with it. However, we had the totally opposite experience on the Glory this past May. Our wait team was FABULOUS!

True, but all new cruisers or new members would not know to use it, so these posting just show up everyday.:D

Steve

New members are SUPPOSED to read the Guidelines (they agree to them, why not read them?)... so there is no excuse :D

Especially since most of the tipping threads are started by *ha-hem*... and we know *ha-hem* is not new :D

New members are SUPPOSED to read the Guidelines (they agree to them, why not read them?)... so there is no excuse :D

Especially since most of the tipping threads are started by *ha-hem*... and we know *ha-hem* is not new :D

*ha-hem* ? Is he new?:confused:

Steve:D

[ Why would you reduce the tips? I guess I could understand if your steward and wait staff didn't show up, your bed was never made, you never had towels and your room was never clean... but why else? Just curious....

I was trying to find a way to get more cash in the hands of those that deserve it , so they could have a chance to KEEP more cash. I would not be reducing that amount in the end. merely trying to find a way around the pooling rules.

[ Why would you reduce the tips? I guess I could understand if your steward and wait staff didn't show up, your bed was never made, you never had towels and your room was never clean... but why else? Just curious....
I was trying to find a way to get more cash in the hands of those that deserve it , so they could have a chance to KEEP more cash. I would not be reducing that amount in the end. merely trying to find a way around the pooling rules.

The way around the pooling is to leave the tips on the S&S and anything you give them additional is theirs to keep.

As for Jamaica... the exchange rate is incredible in Jamaica... $41 an hour is NOT alot of money...

*ha hem*, is that me? I started this thread. And, yes, I do know how to use the search function. I did do a search and read through many threads regarding tipping. But, my specific question was not answered in those threads. I'm sorry if I annoyed anyone for asking. But, I was not asking why we tip, or should we tip. Which seems to be what this thread turned into. I just wanted to know the proceedure for adding tips to my S&S account at the end of the cruise, and if it was right to do it that way. I have learned that it is not the right way, I should leave the S&S alone and tip more in person. So, thank you to all who have helped with this answer. Those who are annoyed, unsubscribe to this thread. You know how right?;)

*ha hem*, is that me? I started this thread.

No, it is not you and if you thought it was, I apoligize for anything that led you to believe that.:o

Please don't stop posting for any info that you feel is important to you. A few people especially myself like to...lets say debate the issues and innocent people get caught in the crossfire.:)

Steve

Drama, drama, drama and more drama.

I can't help but wonder if those that drink so much on cruises aren't bending the proverbial elbow while they post.

Some sure sound like it.

Dolly :cool:

Always so negative Dolly. Do you have a cruise booked?

Most of us know who *ha hem* is and are used to him stirring things up on the tipping issue. It certainly keeps things lively around here. ;)

I can't help but wonder if those that drink so much on cruises aren't bending the proverbial elbow while they post.

Dolly :cool:

And the problem with that would be what??? :p Notice there are always ones that stir the pot by starting the drama, and those that inject their .02... Some people know just what it takes to get everyone all riled up :D And no, it's not the OP...

I know what you mean.Did you see the newest thread by livtojump?:eek:

Any thoughts on Jeans in the Dining Rm, Topless Deck, Kids in Diapers in pools

Geez, if that dosen't cover almost every hot topic.

Steve:D

LOL, did you see the one that earlier? That Randy is too funny!!! Oh you can tell it's Friday! :D

Always so negative Dolly. Do you have a cruise booked?

Most of us know who *ha hem* is and are used to him stirring things up on the tipping issue. It certainly keeps things lively around here. ;)

I can't imagine why you'd care but I do have a cruise booked as well as two other vacations, one being Europe.

I have no idea who "ha hem" is, nor do I care.

Dolly

Archived