Tipping ??

BluexMoon

OK. Now that we've covered prepaid vs. envelope, what about tipping in the specialty restuarant? Does this come from the prepaid tips, or completely separate? If separate, a cash tip on the table seems to be the route.

Any other options?

OK. Now that we've covered prepaid vs. envelope, what about tipping in the specialty restuarant? Does this come from the prepaid tips, or completely separate? If separate, a cash tip on the table seems to be the route.

Any other options?

The reservation fee is $25 per guest, per entree. This fee includes the wait staffs' gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water.

Per CCLs FAQ's

Steve

I can't imagine why you'd care but I do have a cruise booked as well as two other vacations, one being Europe.

I have no idea who "ha hem" is, nor do I care.

Dolly

I rest my case.

Steve, that thread Randy posted then locked so we couldn't answer. Ahhhhh, but liv to the rescue. Same topic and it's hilarious! :D

Cjalphonso posted:

"If a waiter gets $3 per person per day and they serve 2 tables of 8, times 2 seatings thats $96 per day. Multiply that times 7 to get $672 per week times 50 weeks and thats $33,600 per year. Keep in mind they pay no room or board and all their earnings are not taxed in the U.S."

To be more realistic:

I've researched Carnival Legend Ship Details and found out that the passenger capacity is at 2124, and the number of the crew is 930. If every passenger pays $80 gratuity for a 8 day cruise, that's $169,920. If you divide that by 930, it comes out to little over $182 per crew member (equals to $22.75 a day). If a crew member works 50 weeks a year, that's about 43 cruises. $182 multiply by 43 is $7,826 per year. That's only if all passengers pay their recommended gratuity amount. On a monderate to busy night, most waiters/waitresses and bartenders make an average $100 or more on gratuity at a reputable restaurant. So compare to that, $22.75 for a day of work seems too little.

Laugh I can see this would be fun, but the figure $22.75 is based on 930 crew sharing the tips and of course thats not the actual number that share the Tips, its probably more like 500 crew at most. As far as I know none of the Officers, Entertainment, Shop staff etc are part of the tips. Also you do leave out the fact across the board that all drinks on the ship include a further 15% charge, also the 2124 capacity is based on double occupancy most cruises take out more PAX than that. I know I read on one post that the number can often be over 2400 per cruise.

I dont honestly think any of the figures really help from all the threads I've enjoyed reading on the subject everyone is very selective about how they intepret the data :) (I know I am, but please dont tell anyone else it can be our secret! ;) ) I did leave out all the tight wads who each take 20 children with them (In Diapers!) and do not think they have to Tip for the Children. So of course my figures will be off by quite a few *smile*

I do know I could not do the job they do and the information about the Tips on S&S was something I was not aware of. I think whats more frightening was I knew who *ahem* was ROFL and its no fun this timezone difference I miss out on the fun posts on a Friday, wonder if I could talk you all into starting one VERY early on a Friday so that I can have a laugh and while away an hour or so.

I've saved a book mark to Liv's thread and I'm going to re-live it next Friday. (*Laugh* should make the last couple of hours in the office far more bearable.)

I read Liv's thread, too (very entertaining). :D

My head was hurting after the first set of calculations and numbers, I'm not about to do more with everyone else's interpretation of the staff to passenger ratio data. :p :eek:

How about you pay more gratuity if you wear jeans in the dining room, pay less if you go topless, and other passesngers get onboard credit if children in diapers go in the pools? ;)

p.s. I don't know who "ah hem" is and would like to know. At least give me a hint or something.

I read Liv's thread, too (very entertaining). :D

My head was hurting after the first set of calculations and numbers, I'm not about to do more with everyone else's interpretation of the staff to passenger ratio data. :p :eek:

How about you pay more gratuity if you wear jeans in the dining room, pay less if you go topless, and other passesngers get onboard credit if children in diapers go in the pools? ;)

I'm all for paying more for jeans, but could I please get onboard credit for going topless?? ;) I'd like to keep my tips in place for the staff, but have some extra drink and spending money instead.....

I expect at least decent service from service employees when I cruise. Service employees are usually paid minimun wages...whether on foreign registered ships or on American soil, and depend on tips.

Some people, whether passengers on ships or vacationing/dining out on land are appreciative, and some are not.

Those of us that appreciate being served will hopefully make up for in tips what the non-appreciative cheap-os don't dare part with.

Personally, I don't care if someone waiting on me is making minimum wage or is a millionaire...if someone is taking care of my needs, especially with a smile, and going that extra mile, above and beyond to ensure I am happy, then I will gladly tip them above and beyond....because I am appreciative.

You either are or you aren't.

My heart goes out to those that aren't...you don't know what you're missing out on. It's a great feeling, appreciation.....great to give AND to recieve. I find that those who give more of it, usually receive more as well.

Archived