where to (first time/honeymoon cruise)?

dooleymoe

So we are finally planning a honeymoon (a year late), we've decided to try a cruise, since it's new to both of us. Our previous trips have mostly been to central florida (disney, but we don't want to do a disney cruise).

We chatted and key points/wants are:

-Key West - She would love to go to Key West if Possible

-No Mexico - however, she would prefer NOT to go to mexican ports, which eliminates most fo the key west cruises from what I have seen

-suite/mini-suite - since it is our honey moon, I'd like it to be a nicer ship and be a suite (or at least a balcony cabin)

-length- she does not want to do longer than 7 days

-leaving from - initially she wanted to leave from port canaveral so we could visit with friends in orlando for a couple days before/after, then go on the cruise, after showing her the cruises/ships that leave from there, I have talked her out of it I believe, but she would prefer a shorter flight if at all possible (we are in boston, but do not want to leave from boston/new york as we want to avoid 2 days at sea each way) I would prefer if Jetblue flew there so we can use our free flights.

Other than that we are just looking for a fun and unique experience, we dont get away often, so we want to take advantage of seeing a few different places on a cruise. Food, on-board entertainment, gambling, etc are all our type of things, so it really boils down to the stuff above,

Thanks!

Dooley

RCI is a nice line and a Junior suite would be perfect for a honeymoon! The larger suites get concierge service, but IMO, that's not really worth the additional cost. A JS is the size of a nice hotel room, with a tub, walkin closet and nice, wide balcony.

Not many of the week long cruises go to Key West--that's a port that is on the 3-4 nighters.

I agree with the Mexican ports--ick! Try an Eastern Caribbean route. And to get the most nice weather out of your vacation time, you really do need to depart from a Fl. port!

Can't help you with the airline situation--I'm all about the most direct flight, no matter which airline!

Good luck! (Once you've done a cruise, you will definitely do another!!!)

The best way to go about it is to do a search on any online travel agency site. Put in the month you wish to sail and then use the general Caribbean selection that will bring up all the Caribbean cruises, or put in particular parts such as Eastern or Southern. I didn't mention Western because those cruises would be to Mexico where you said you didn't want to go. If you want to go to Key West, that port is offered on most of the Western Caribbean cruises. Just a note, islands such as Belize and Roatan will be in the Western Caribbean, so if you're not opposed to maybe 1 stop in Cozumel Mexico, you could check out the Western Caribbean also. I did a short 5 nighter once with Key West, Cozumel and Belize.

Personally, I prefer the Southern Caribbean. Especially itineraries that include Barbados and St. Lucia. In my opinion the island are much bigger and nicer. You may even want to consider those leaving out of San Juan and I think Jet Blue may fly into San Juan. It may cost a little more in airfare, but generally the cruise prices are lower since you have to get there.

As for the cruise line, all of the mass market lines, NCL, RCI, Carnival, Princess, etc. will offer pretty much everything across the board. Once you find an itinerary you like, the price range you like etc., then narrow it down and check out the ships to see what they offer. If you're interested in ice skating rinks, surf riders, etc. then you might enjoy the newer ships of RCI. Personally, I think NCL offers the best suites and suite perks around. So if you're interested in a really nice suite, check out NCL.

Takes some time but going step by step makes it easier. First pick your itinerary and then decide on ship. Check them out on the cruise line sites and look at age, etc. Read a few reviews by checking out postings on the cruise line boards. Again, like I said, most mass market cruise lines offer you the chance to have a great time.:)

Have fun whatever you decide.:)

Archived