What snorkel excursion do you recommend in Aruba & why?

vossjemi

What snorkel excursion do you recommend in Aruba & why?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What snorkel excursion do you recommend in Aruba & why?

• Mi Dushi
    • Jolly Pirates
    • Pelican Adventures
    • Red Sail Sports
    • DePalm
    • Octopus Sailing Charters
    • Roberto's
    • Tranquilo
    • Arubawavedancer
    • Royal Caribbean's offerings/other

We will be in Aruba 1 day in jan 05 and want to do a snorkel excursion. There are so many companies out there we are not sure who is reputable/who is not. We are interested in one that isn't overly crowded or too much of a party/obnoxious type crowd. But, don't get me wrong....we like the idea of having an open bar/lunch included. We'd like a warm and friendly crew who take us to several good snorkeling spots, possibly including the antilles. And, of course, price is always a consideration. Anyway, these are the companies I've found so far. Who do you recommend and why? Thanks a bunch!:)

Hello,

My wife and I used Jolly Pirates last June and they were great, unlimited drinks and quick lunch. We are going on a cruise in 2 weeks and decided to rent a car and go to Baby Beach and then up to Arashi Beach. These are the best snorkle places in my opinion. Jolly Pirates and most of the other groups will go to Arashi and another site close by and then to the Antilla wreck. Be forewarned, the water is much choppier out at the wreck. Have fun and enjoy which ever you choose.

We've used most. Windie's Watersports is family run and they are very good.

My Favorite thou would be Blue Melody IF they are still around. Why? They took us eto the BEST snorleling area I've evr seen in Aruba. LOTS of star fish!!!!! They were very good.

They're all good. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just came back from a land vacation in Aruba and went on a Pelician skorkel trip.

Was a small group, with only one child. He was about 12. We stopped at two sites and the 2nd was rough, the waves were pretty hard to swim in. The 12 yr old had never done this before. The skipper jumped in the water with a tube and let him hold on to the tube and helped him snorkel..... I was pretty impressed on this trip on how the staff really went out of thier way to make sure everybody knew how to use the equipent and did whatever to make sure we all had a great time..... I would certainly recommend this group.

Yes, we had a great day. Thier website is http://WWW.Pelican-aruba.com

We did an afternoon tour that lasted 3 1/2 hours, but they also have AM tours as well.

Aruba is a popular cruise stop and on some days can have more than one ship in the port, so you may want to book early. Sorry, I do not remember the exact price that we paid. They dock at the Holiday Inn in Aruba, in the highrise section.

Have Fun,

Janet

We learned of Roberto's through these boards, and could not have been more pleased. They have two boats available-each holds only 8 passengers. Price per person varies according to how many you have. There were 4 of us, and I think it was about $35 or $40 each. We went to three sites, including the Antilla. They will not add other folks you don't know to your party, which is a big plus. One advantage of Roberto's is that they go to the sites when the crowds aren't there. The folks were great, and we would not hesitate to go again. Check their website for more info. Look under Roberto's Private Snorkeling.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyllis

wvufan,

Thanks for posting what you did about Roberto's!!! I found them on the internet and wanted to hear from someone who had actually used them. We will have 4 in our group. Sounds like if we booked, it would just be us 4? Lunch/drinks included? What all is included? I kind of like the idea of a private snorkel excursion that isn't too expensive! Lots of special attention. How long is the excursion? Did you book in advance? Did you put down a deposit or pay in full before going? How did you get there? Taxi/bus? Their boats kind of look like pontoon boats...am i right? Any info you can give would be helpful! Thanks!:D

Hi Vossjemi!

Been a couple years, but will try to remember the details. If you are only wanting four of you to go, they will not add others-it will just be you four. If you added folks on your own that you met on ship, that would work. I think they had drinks, but no food. They are located at the Holiday Inn beach, which was a fairly short taxi ride from the cruise ship dock. I'm sure bus would get you there as well. I really can't remember how long the total trip was, but it was several hours. I do know that we were very very pleased. They avoided the crowds and treated us like royalty. I think we reserved with them over their website, but don't think we were charged until we actually made the trip. I exhanged emails with them on those kinds of things, and they were very responsive.

I think there are lots of good tour operators in Aruba, and you will have a good time. Obviously, we liked Roberto's and feel comfortable recommending him.

Have fun!

OOOEEE:) :) Bob and Phyl

Pelican Adventures is who we snorkeled with on our land vacation in Aruba two years ago and it was WONDERFUL! Like mentioned above, the water is a bit choppy out by the shipwreck, but it was the second stop so you had time to get a bit used to snorkeling at the reef and it was amazing!

Staff was top notch and very fun. No kids on our tour. Drinks poured freely but it wasn't exactly a "party barge" either. Fun but not out of control.

Very reasonable, we were at the Wyndham and booked through them. I recall it was only $35 pp. at the time and well spent money.

Jealous . . . . wish we had enough vacation time left for a trip to Aruba this winter! Enjoy! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Mi Dushi is a tie winner with a vote of 4 today.

We went on the Mi Dushi on a trip to Aruba in 1992 and had a great time, but were wondering if times have changed. We'll go to Aruba again in March on the Celebrity Summit.

Seems like all the snorkel trips go to the same places? Is this true? Do they get crowded?

Just back from a week in Aruba and did the Pelican Adventures snorkeling tour on 11/29/04. The tour lasted 3 1/2 hours, price was $37.50/pp, included drinks and cheese/veggie tray. No ships in port that day so our group was only 16 people. Went to 2 snorkeling sites, including the Antilla wreck. Saw many schools of fish and several species. The crew was very good at explaining how to and where we shoud look for the best fish sightings. Another company's cat was anchored at our first site, but left shortly after we got there. Very good snorkeling for us.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Aruba 6 days ago ( dec 20) and we went to the De Palm ISland. I snorkled three and we saw tons of fish. It was superb. We took our underwater camera and got lots of great pics. There is a lot of coral which the fish apparently are attracted to. They offer you free lunch and free drink ( I recommend the rum punch ) The equiptment they allow you to use is new and the people are friendly. But I would go in the morning ..the water was crystal clear. Have fun..:p

Carolyn, I have heard that it is a fun time and I am considering it for us (along with other possibilities), how many people were on your excursion? Was it a family thing, or was it one where there is a lot of drinking? Those are the two things I'm concerned about, as we have a 14 y/o son and don't really want to go on one of the booze cruise party boats. Fine for us alone, but not with our son along too. I'm glad you had fun, and look forward to hearing more about it! Thanks!

Carolyn,

Hey, I've read your posts on our roll call. I posted this there, but you might have missed it so I thought I'd try here as well.

cmjaffe,

I think I read on another forum that you did the Jolly Pirates snorkeling excursion in Aruba. We too have planned this. We were thinking of taking the bus (across the street from the pier). I think I read you took a taxi...did you or anyone you know take the bus or have any problems with it? The bus is supposed to be $2pp RT. Also, did you like Moomba's? Did you hang out there afterwards? Was it nice? Could you use the beach chairs since you had done the excursion from there? Or did that cost extra?

Jolly Pirates was THE BEST.... had a great day!!! (great value too).

Don't think you're going to have much time to take bus to Holiday Inn (stop) to get to Moombas in time for 9AM... take a taxi $10 fare and INSIST on it.. taxis that stop right a ship are going to try to tell you fare is $20.. it's NOT!!

Take bus back... $1.50 one way.

Enjoy it's a fun day.

Carolyn

Archived