What now?

JessiMommy

As of this afternoon we are booked on our first cruise. I'm so excited!! We are sailing on the Victory on January 16th from Miami to the Western Caribbean.

We are: Me 33, hubby 33, daughter 4, my Mom 59, my Dad 58, my brother 30, his wife 27 (will be 6 months pregnant when we cruise).

I am an over planner by nature so I need to know what's next? I've heard that you cannot book any shore excursions through Carnival until you are on board. Is this true? What kinds of things should I be doing now? I've got a couple books to read & I've been given links to some great cruise web sites. I guess I should just read up but I thought I'd ask for some expert advice! Thanks! :-)

Candi, congratulations on booking your first cruise! :) First, I would tell you to research as much as possible. If you read these boards, you will find answers to your questions. If not, try the search feature then if you still don't find the answer ask a question. Also don't forget the forums for specific ports here at CC.

It's true you can't book excursions until you board the ship, however, you can see what's available by looking on Carnival's website. They also have, at the very bottom, a FAQ section that may help to answer some of your questions. Read, research and ask! Planning is part of the fun! :)

JessiMommy, I am also an "overplanner" by nature, the best tip I can give you is to keep a small notebook handy while researching your cruise. In it I keep a list of places we might want to visit, directions to these places, etc. Also, on the cruise we used it to keep track of things we had learned on the cruise, to jot down addressses of friends we made, etc. Have fun, B&P

We are: Me 33, hubby 33, daughter 4, my Mom 59, my Dad 58, my brother 30, his wife 27 (will be 6 months pregnant when we cruise

To be on the safe side, make sure she has a note from her doctor as to her due date. Carnival will not allow those over 27 months pregnant to cruise. Without a doctor's note, they may not allow her to sail at 24/25 weeks as they will not know for sure.

Start a shopping list for things you need to get. #1 should be an over the door shoe holder - it is so handy and saves so much precious counter space! This was the best tip I ever got from this board. Research the different ports you will be visiting. Ask people on this board what they liked in each port, what they liked about Camp Carnival for their 4 yo, etc.

Most of all, don't worry about the opinions of some people. People have different tastes as far as food, entertainment, what to do in ports. Just use all suggestions as a guide. You are going to have so much fun on your cruise!

Yikes! I thought only elephants were pregnant that long. :)

EEK, me too! ha ha!! I guess they meant 27 weeks? My SIL has her doctor's approval as of now. Our travel agent didn't mention it as being a problem but I guess we better find out!!

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice! I imagine you'll be seeing me around as I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions! Thanks again! :)

EEK, me too! ha ha!! I guess they meant 27 weeks? My SIL has her doctor's approval as of now. Our travel agent didn't mention it as being a problem but I guess we better find out!!

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice! I imagine you'll be seeing me around as I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions! Thanks again! :)

Having her doctors approval is not the issue as much as having Carnival's approval. They are very specific and will not let her board the ship if she has reached her 27th week of pregnancy. She will need a letter from her doctor certifying how far along she is. Quick grab a calender!!! :D

Spend some time researching the ports on the web so you cab start deciding what you might want to do. Then check out the Ports of Call board for people's opinions who have been on the excusions.

Also, consider taking a private tour vendor and/or going on your own. The private vendors are usually cheaper and have the benefit of smaller gropups and more personal service. If practical, going on your own is not only usually even cheaper, but also provides the flexibility to schedule where you go and how long you stay. Again, the Ports of Call board is a good source of information.

One caution though, if ship excursions return late, the ship will wait for them. They will not wait for individuals so be sure you are back aboard on time.

Carnival will not allow those over 27 months pregnant to cruise.

Yes, I did mean weeks. I was reading and writing before I had coffee. Again, without a note from the doctor, CCL will not know how far along she is and may deny her boarding at the pier.

If her TA knew she was pregnant, she should have been warned as to what could happen when she arrived at the ship without documentation.

Archived