Rhine/Danube?

Karen Lynn

Anyone have any idea which of these Rivers has excursions that are within walking distance?

Someone told me on a River Cruise all they seemed to do was take Coaches to-from the places they were doing the excursions to?? I would prefer being able to walk..for the most part.

Also--is there 1 particular itinerary that is preferable for Wine and Castles?

Tks!:)

Almost all of the city centers were with in walking distance of our docking locations when we cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam last summer on Avalon. I think there was only a couple of ports where we had to take a bus to the city center.It was lovely to be able to walk off the ship and into the old center any time we wished. Sometimes we would return to the ship for lunch and sometimes not but it was great to have that freedom.

If wine areas and castles are your priorities, I would highly recommend a Rhine/Mosel river cruise. The Mosel Valley vineyards are spectacular (and I live near the Napa Valley in California). We did that itinerary with Grand Circle two years ago...Antwerp to Basel and it was wonderful. The castles along the Rhine are magnificent and it is very hard to stop taking pictures!

Dorothy

Almost all of the city centers were with in walking distance of our docking locations when we cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam last summer on Avalon. I think there was only a couple of ports where we had to take a bus to the city center.It was lovely to be able to walk off the ship and into the old center any time we wished. Sometimes we would return to the ship for lunch and sometimes not but it was great to have that freedom.

I think she was referring to the Ship excursions and the fact they had to be bused all over to pick them up losing too much time in the process....

If wine areas and castles are your priorities, I would highly recommend a Rhine/Mosel river cruise. The Mosel Valley vineyards are spectacular (and I live near the Napa Valley in California). We did that itinerary with Grand Circle two years ago...Antwerp to Basel and it was wonderful. The castles along the Rhine are magnificent and it is very hard to stop taking pictures!

Dorothy

Sounds PERFECT!:)

Thanks to you both for the tips...any preference re:Line to travel with?

We cruised with Avalon and it was wonderful.I have not rivercruised with any other company and chose Avalon because they are owned by Globus and I have taken several Globus land tours.I did not regret my choice.

The optionals offered of Cesky Krumlov,Vienna Concert,Schonbrunn Palace,Salzburg, Weltenburg Abbey and Danube Gorge all left directly from the ship after breakfast in the morning and returned just before dinner did not go anywhere else or make any other stops except for bathroom breaks. Many things are include with Avalon that are optionals with other cruise lines.

We did the Rhine from Nuremberg to Amsterdam in April on the Amadeus Royal with Gate 1. Excellent trip. The ship is one of the newest on the river. The only excursions that required a bus were the optional ones. All others were walking distance from the boat and the guides (Gate 1 and locals) were fantastic. An added incentive to choose Gate 1 is that wine and beer are included with dinner at no additional charge. We were very pleased.

Archived