Cinque Terre vs. Florence (with 2 Teenagers)

We're on the Gem in early July and are very interested in either exploring Florence on our own, or taking the ship's tour to Cinque Terre.

For first time Med visitors traveling with our 15 and 12 year old sons, which would folks here recommend?

Cinque Terre is very appealing to my wife and I, since it seems like about as genuine as it gets and seems to really represent the Italian Riviera way of life. Florence also looks like a great place to visit, but considering that we're doing Rome on our own the day prior, it seems like more of the same. That said, we feel like we could be missing out by skipping Florence.

We've tried to mix up our activities to be a variety of on our own or through the ship with excursions revolving around historic sites: St. John's Co-Cathedral and Mdina in in Malta (w/NCL), Pompeii (on our own), Ancient Rome and Vatican City (on our own), Cinque Terre (w/NCL), and Cannes (on our own).

Are we going to bore our kids to death with this itinerary?

The hubby and I are going on our first cruise to the Med. in Sept. I wanted to respond because I too was completely torn between Cinque Terre and Florence. VERY torn. But from everything I have read, Florence is FLOODED with tourists, especially in the summer. Cinque Terre is certainly going to have a lot as well but not as many. Plus, like you, we will be in Rome for 2 days and Florence did seem like more of the same. Cinque Terre seemed more authentic. What really helped me to decide was that you can see pictures of Florence and what there is to see EVERYwhere. There are travel books, art books, history books, etc. We would be seeing and my hubby would be taking pictures of everything that we could buy a book about. The same can't really be said for Cinque Terre. And I know that if we went to Florence, I would always be wandering what we missed. In going to Cinque Terre, I can go look at some books or on the internet and see pics. of and read about what we missed in Florence. Well, that's how we came to our decision. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful cruise! When you get back be sure to post and tell us what to do/not to do, especially if you go to Cinque Terre!

We're on the Gem in early July and are very interested in either exploring Florence on our own, or taking the ship's tour to Cinque Terre.

For first time Med visitors traveling with our 15 and 12 year old sons, which would folks here recommend?

Cinque Terre is very appealing to my wife and I, since it seems like about as genuine as it gets and seems to really represent the Italian Riviera way of life. Florence also looks like a great place to visit, but considering that we're doing Rome on our own the day prior, it seems like more of the same. That said, we feel like we could be missing out by skipping Florence.

We've tried to mix up our activities to be a variety of on our own or through the ship with excursions revolving around historic sites: St. John's Co-Cathedral and Mdina in in Malta (w/NCL), Pompeii (on our own), Ancient Rome and Vatican City (on our own), Cinque Terre (w/NCL), and Cannes (on our own).

Are we going to bore our kids to death with this itinerary?[/quote

Cinque Terre nothing like Italian Riviera but charming little fishing villages. We`ve been a few times but always approached it from the sea leaving from Portovenere. You cannot compare with the artistic beauty of Florence but both have their own very different attractions. You pays your money and takes your choice. I hope you enjoy whichever you choose. :)

Go to Firenze and send the boys to the top of the Duomo. They should enjoy going up a very narrow stairway inside (between outer/inner domes.)

Cinque Terre is nice but I'd opt for Firenze.

Are we going to bore our kids to death with this itinerary?[/quote

Cinque Terre nothing like Italian Riviera but charming little fishing villages. We`ve been a few times but always approached it from the sea leaving from Portovenere. You cannot compare with the artistic beauty of Florence but both have their own very different attractions. You pays your money and takes your choice. I hope you enjoy whichever you choose. :)

I chose Cinque terre. I prefer tours of the countryside vs. the city, and we are in port on a monday when many of the museams in Firenze are closed.

I think Cinque Terre appeals more to adults. For teens, I think Florence has more to offer. The Duomo is a fun climb and a great view. Everyone's heard of Michelangelo's "David" (even teens). There are markets to walk through, gelato to eat, and medieval pharmacies to visit. I'd probably skip the Uffizi, though.

The Cinque Terre! The beauty of the Cinque Terre is something to behold. The ship excursion we did last July was fantastic. It was our favorite Europe experience (my father is very well traveled and he agrees).

I have been to both places. There will be lines, lines, lines in Florence. In the Cinque Terre- relatively few people, a lovely tour, picturesque scenery and the teens will not get bored- I can assure you.

At the last village you will have time for lunch and I highly recommend the local specialties of white wine and pesto sauce (I had it on linguine). It was fantastic and the best food I have had in Italy.

Our nieces and nephews were in Cinque Terre last year and have not stopped talking about how beautiful it was and how much they enjoyed the hike between the villages. We are going in June with our 3 teenagers and passing on Florence. I think throughout the trip they can only take so much history, ruins and culture. They are athletic so a vigourous day of hiking should be a lot of fun. Of course ending the day with an ice cold beer, legally with no id necessary (they are 18 & 16...lets be real, they drink beer ocasionally) should make for an unforgetable day:)

To the OP, you don't really say what types of things interest your boys, if they like being outdoors then they may like hiking between the villages in Cinque Terre. It might be best to do get them involved in the decisions and that will help to get them excited about whichever choices you make.

Cinque Terre for us was much more enjoyable as I felt the whole of the day in Florence was spent following the tour guide with the paddle - too many people not enough space. I suppose if you will never get the opportunity to visit Florence and Pisa again then maybe consider it but if you know you will have another chance to visit F and P then go to Cinque Terre.

Whichever you choose - enjoy!

Is there a reason that you are only looking at these two choices?

Consider maybe going to Pisa and Lucca. Climbing the tower would be a blast for your kids (in July you will want to make reservations) and then in Lucca you could walk or rent bikes and go around the walls. Sort of a more relaxed day. This is a very port intensive cruise and after Rome you will definitely be tired--maybe just consider going to Pisa, seeing the Duomo and Baptistery (where they have this strange echo --harmony effect) and then relaxing a bit.

After Rome, in July, with two teenagers I would opt out of Florence and before you decide on Cinque Terre take a good look at how long the day will be.

In Feb we cruised with a family that included three teenagers age 13-15. Even though the 13 yr olds were into track--etc they got tired of the day after day tour thing.

As much as I love Florence, I'd have to vote for the Cinque Terre with the teens on the day right after Rome. If it wasn't the day after Rome, I'd probably go the other direction...but in your case I'd say stay out of the city.

I had my two kids in Italy with me for a few weeks when they were 11 & 12. Of all the places we visited, they loved the Cinque Terre the best. Florence was their favorite city, but then we were staying there for several days so we could do it in small doses without following a guide and standing in long hot lines. On the day after Rome your boys are NOT going to want another day of doing that, trust me!

I've never done the Cinque Terre on a ship excursion, so I don't know what they have you doing. But I would definitely recommend getting them on at least one of the hikes between villages, if you can...and I'm not talking about the short, paved one between Riomaggiore & Manarola (known as the Via Dell'Amore). The best one would be between Corneglia & Vernazza - it takes about 90 minutes, and has got some steep challenging parts, but it's manageable for anyone who can hike at all, and it's the most beautiful of all. Tell them it's a 1000-yr-old goat path that for centuries was the only way to these villages. They'll love it!

In Vernazza there's a cool old castle up on a hill with some underground rooms they can climb around in. It may all be rather overrun with tourists in the summer months, but it will be WAY less crowded than Florence, and being right next to the sea, less swelteringly hot. And while the Cinque Terre is no longer the "authentic" Italian fishing villages they were before Rick Steves brought the world to their doorstep, they are still amazingly beautiful and charming - and if you ignore all the restaurants and souvenir shops that now occupy their ancient buildings, they still look the same as they have for generations.

I was lucky enough to be able to do both. We stopped at Livorno (went to Florence for the day on our own) and then stopped at La Spezia (went to the Cinque Terra on our own). It is quite a ways from Livorno to Florence (1-1/2 hours) or to Cinque Terre (not sure how long).

If you do the Cinque Terre, in Vernazza, the last town, there is a nice beach in case anyone would like to go swimming.

I agree that it depends on the interests of your teenagers. Some are very into books and learning and would just as soon not do a lot of hiking. Others would rather be outside and hiking, rather than stuck in some museum.

If you do the Cinque Terre, in Vernazza, the last town, there is a nice beach in case anyone would like to go swimming.

I think you mean Monterosso al Mare. Vernazza is not the last town - it's the fourth (heading north) or 2nd (heading south). Monterrosso al Mare is the last (or first :o) and has a nice little beach. It's actually a popular beach resort town for Italians - which is why I usually skip it when I go to the Cinque Terre, as I find it to be a little too touristy for my tastes. But you're right that it might be a good option for the boys - after the previous day of city sightseeing, spending some time on the beach might be just the thing for them!

Archived