is there dancing?

Hi all,

I am sailing on the Explorer of the Seas in Nov (12-night, South Caribbean), and I wonder if you anyone knows much about the dancing on board?

My parents are joining us and they LOVE to dance (ballroom, latin, you name it they dance it).

I encouraged them to come on a cruise with us (they are first timers), and I am hoping they will have somewhere to go to dance every night.

If any of you are into dancing, could you let me know what options there are on this ship?

Haven't experienced Explorer, but all RC ships are about the same. Expect that there will be a venue every night for ballroom, disco, and usually latin. Line dances are often done as part of theme nights or parties. Music is usually live (except disco), most often a 4 piece dance band, and a 3 piece band in a different venue. Occasionally you will get the full stage orchestra, or the Caribbean pool band.

Also, most ships have ballroom, and sometimes other, dance lessons available - usually on sea days.

Just off two 2 week cruises on the same type of ship. The 1st, on the Jewel, was big on ballroom - crowded floor every night. The second, on the Radiance, was dead relative to ballroom - 3 or 4 couples danced most nights. However, on both ships ballroom lessons were packed. Why the difference? ????????????????

My experience on the Explorer is nearly two years old now....

When I sailed (and roomed with my favorite dance partner), there was an awesome little ensemble playing music that was great for ballroom dancing - but they were located in the Viking Crown Lounge at the top of the ship, which has a dance floor the size of a postage stamp. Not much room for more than a few couples, nor for any of the smooth dances that travel. Pretty frustrating.

We found good Latin music in one of the nightclubs a couple of times - sorry, can't remember the name, but it probably doesn't matter at this point anyway.

There is at least one area with an awesomely big dance floor, and once or twice there was music we could swing or cha-cha to (if you can get creative with the beat in 50s-60s or 70s-80s music, you're in luck). But they didn't put the group that played good ballroom music in there (ever).

Explorer, but also would like to know Enchanments?

Thanks!:)

I have not been on the Explorer but based on other ships in its class it has its dedicated Disco. It was "The Dungeon" on the Navigator. I believe "The Chamber" is on the Explorer. 70s dance party is on Royal Promenade.

On the Enchantment the Disco was in the Viking Crown Lounge (as well as the 70s dance party).

We sailed on the Mariner last December. We are avid ballroom dancers. We like to foxtrot, cha-cha, waltz, rumba, east and west coast swing, hustle, tango. Like your folks, you name it and we’ll dance it. This was our biggest letdown on the Mariner. The dance floors (Ellington’s, Bolero’s) are laughably small. Ellington’s (ballroom music) is a teeny half-moon shaped sliver completely unsuitable for anything but some swaying in place. It’s not wood and it’s hard to turn on. The Bolero’s (Latin only) floor is maxed out if more than four couples are dancing.

The band in Bolero’s, Latin Rumba, was quite enjoyable. The band in Ellington’s, The Mariner Quartet, was not.

That was it for ballroom venues on the Mariner.

I chatted with the Mariner’s cruise director, Drew. He said RCI cut the show band from all ships. The Lotus Lounge on the Mariner, which has the best dance floor on the ship, never had a scheduled dance event all week long. That’s where the show band used to play. But now the Lotus Lounge has been given over entirely to karaoke. It is the only venue on the ship where karaoke can be held and, per Drew, the passengers will start an armed uprising if they miss a night of karaoke.

The Mariner disco featured contemporary and hip-hop selections. No ballroom or even anything close. Not even a token 70's disco or 50's/60's theme night.

Hi all,

I am sailing on the Explorer of the Seas in Nov (12-night, South Caribbean), and I wonder if you anyone knows much about the dancing on board?

My parents are joining us and they LOVE to dance (ballroom, latin, you name it they dance it).

I encouraged them to come on a cruise with us (they are first timers), and I am hoping they will have somewhere to go to dance every night.

If any of you are into dancing, could you let me know what options there are on this ship?

Hi Aussie....

I cruised on Explorer 1 year ago with a group of Arthur Murray students and we loved it. There were 17 of us. We do most ballroom, like your parents and it was our first cruise, too. Waltz, foxtrot, salsa, merengue, samba, rumba, cha-cha, swing, tango, hustle, etc. Our cruise was a "dancing cruise" so we all scouted out almost every dance space. We all had so much FUN. That one that was mentioned from the top of the ship...I think it was Dizzy's Jazz Lounge on Deck 14.......the dance floor was WAY too small for any dancing. I could estimate the space but let's just say that it was teeny-weenie. I'm probably wrong but it seemed like it was one square yard!

For the most fun, we started out at one place, then after a while, went to another....usually we started at the Aquarium Bar, then went to Maharajas, then sometimes back to the Aquarium Bar, as the band there would take a break midway through their performance. This all took place in the evening after dinner.

We danced almost every night at the Aquarium Bar for starters, where there was comfortable cushy seating and a great live band...it was Latin music. It was enough space for our group of 17, plus some other guests, but not a large dance floor. Latin dancing is danced in crowded places, anyway, so that worked out fine. We still used every square inch of that dance floor and then some as we spilled out into the adjoining walkway. Passersby didn't seem to mind that at all. I think our dance group attracted other guests who liked to watch and some of our group helped other guests learn to do some steps. On that floor we did mostly merengue, salsa, bachata, rumba, and a little cha-cha. The band (Latin Express) took requests and they also sold their cd, so we bought one for a souvenir. They were awesome!

We danced in that dungeon-style club--The Chamber. For serious dancers, I thought it was just okay and very dead in that room. Pretty much only our group there. The music was not live (a dj) and not great, the floor was very sticky for our turns. Still, we all end up having fun no matter where we go but that just was my least favorite spot, though roomy enough. We didn't usually stay for long in that room. It was kinda gloomy.

I saved my Cruise Compass booklets from our '07 cruise. I'm only going to list the ones with the good dance floors. You'll see other entries in Cruise Compass, after you arrive, for the Promenade, the poolside area, the Schooner Bar, but they wouldn't really be considered dance spaces for ballroom dancers... This is a little of what is listed under Music & Dancing for Explorer of the Seas:

Latin Express (the band we loved)--Aquarium Latin Bar on Deck 4 at 9 p.m. until late.

A DJ played in The Chamber--Deck 3 and 4 at 10 p.m. until late

Various live bands in The Maharajas Lounge on Deck 5--the largest dance floor with LOTS of comfy sofas and chairs to sit on. Check the Cruise Compass listings each day because the music may change throughout the cruise. We heard a great ballroom band on some nights and other nights it was a young band playing 70's style music. Also check it for the times that the bands play. Most of the good music was in the evenings after the dinner times.

I wouldn't bother with the Schooner Bar, the Crown & Kettle Pub, or the Promenade listings, if they want dancing. Those places are fine for listening to music, though.

We missed out on a poolside dance party because I was very tired and we hadn't read the Compass. Some others in our group went to it. That party was called "Dancing Under the Stars and Pool Buffet." Waaaa.

I can't stress this enough....The Compass is delivered to your room each day; so check the times and places for the events. On the very back page of the first day issue, is a Cruise Highlights list. Mark the good stuff with a highlighter pen. They list the whole week's events.......they showed a "Learn to Swing Dance Class" and Salsa class too...both at the pool area on a Tuesday before dinner. There was Ballroom Dancing listed on a Friday. There is also a listing of the various bars and the deck that they are on, so that will help you to locate the places that you want to go to. There is a section just for "Music & Dancing" also on that back page of the Compass. You can dance every day of your cruise.

You are SO LUCKY to be going on the Explorer because they have that new production for entertainment---the ballroom dancing competition. I posted info on another thread. It was designed by some guy (I forgot his name) and Cheryl Burke (from Dancing with the Stars TV show). There is a dance, and then 4 couples are chosen to participate in the competition. They work with choreographers, costumers, make-up artists, etc., and perform for a competition later on in the cruise. That sounds like so much fun!

I am doing a southern 7 day cruise on Serenade, but would have loved to do the very one that you are going on. My hubby just can't take 2 weeks off from his job right now! Have lots of fun!

Salsa Dancer

Hi Pro Junior,

We're avid ballroom dancers too. My hubby and I started three years ago for his 50th birthday, then began to teach our daughter, who is now 20 and really pretty darn good. The three of us are going on a cruise together (her first our second) and hope to find out, ahead of time, about Serenade for dancing. Do you know anything about that one? We LOVE to dance!

Salsa Dancer

Archived