Why were Elation and Paradise built?

RjayB

Before you read this, please understand that I am not bashing Fantasy class ships! We had wonderful cruises on both the Fantasy and the Fascination. :)

The Fantasy class was an improvement on the Holiday class, which was an improvement on the Carnivale/Festivale, etc. But in 1996 the Destiny was built which was an improvement on the Fantasy class (480 balconies/suites versus 54 suites, 30K more tonnage, etc.).

What I don't understand is after the Destiny in 1996, the Elation and Paradise were built (1998), and the next "Destiny class" ship was the Triumph in 1999.

My question is this: Why did Carnival spend the money on 2 additional "older style" ships after the Destiny was such a success? Was this just due to existing contracts with the shipyard in Finland? It seems to me that it would be better to have more 2 more Destiny class ships instead of Fantasy class.:confused:

Here is the source for most of these facts: http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/shipscarnival.php

Keep in mind, at the time, Destiny was the largest cruiseliner in the world. They were probably trying to see how successful it could be (could they fill it up), were expanding, and therefore got two more ships in the class that was already very successful. Keep in mind it takes about 2 years to build a ship, so Elation and Paradise were ordered either before Destiny's maiden voyage or shortly thereafter. I am sure after about a year with Destiny in service, they realized she was profitable and ordered both the Triumph and Victory, with upgrades, sometime in 1997.

Before you read this, please understand that I am not bashing Fantasy class ships! We had wonderful cruises on both the Fantasy and the Fascination. :)

The Fantasy class was an improvement on the Holiday class, which was an improvement on the Carnivale/Festivale, etc. But in 1996 the Destiny was built which was an improvement on the Fantasy class (480 balconies/suites versus 54 suites, 30K more tonnage, etc.).

What I don't understand is after the Destiny in 1996, the Elation and Paradise were built (1998), and the next "Destiny class" ship was the Triumph in 1999.

My question is this: Why did Carnival spend the money on 2 additional "older style" ships after the Destiny was such a success? Was this just due to existing contracts with the shipyard in Finland? It seems to me that it would be better to have more 2 more Destiny class ships instead of Fantasy class.:confused:

Here is the source for most of these facts: http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/shipscarnival.php

Much of Carnival success can be traced to the Fantasy class ships, they put Carnival on the map. At the time Fantasy class ship were doing 7 day cruises.

There is only one Destiny class ship..Destiny. She was built in a mad dash to be the first 100,000 GT ship.There were several flaws in the design. They stepped back and didnt debut the first Triumph class ship until 3 years later.

Im sure it also had something to do with existing ship orders.

I remember back before the Fantasy was sailing at a past guest reception on the Jubilee, the announcement of 8 NEW "MEGA SHIPS", and they ran down the names to all the OOO's and AHH's. It was gonna be 8 from the start.

This was 1990.

And of course I had to try one out as soon as I could, getting two cruises in, in one year!

My first cruise was on Jubilee, followed by RCI's Empress, which was about the same size. I thought they were huge!

Then, I thought the Fantasy was huge.

It's all relative. If I'd started out on a jumbo ship, I'd probably think they were small.

Loved the size of the Miracle. I'm guessing Glory will be way too large with way too many people for my tastes (but I'll suffer through it and enjoy myself anyway :p ). But I'm anxiously awaiting a return to the Fantasy class on Fascination.

It seems there's still plenty of demand for that size ship. The prices are fantastic (paid $299 pp for Fascination and can drive to Jax) and the itineraries are fun.

I can totally understand why they built two more.

What I personally would like to see are more ships along the lines of the Spirit class. Not so huge, well laid out, good space ratio, elegant design that sails fast enough to do slightly more exotic itineraries and have all the amenities!

Archived