Alaska Cruise on Island Princess - Concerned I'll be bored.

aggie182

Everyone likes different things. That is what makes life interesting. A few years ago, we went on an Alaskan cruise. I really did not want to go, but did only because the family was going. I do enjoy nature, but am not a camper type. I thought this would be the most boring vacation ever. I had an absolute blast. We are going again in a month. I was never ever bored. Of course, Good Ol' Stu was the CD, and what a great job he did!

While you may still not enjoy the trip, I hope that you do. Let us all know what you think when you return.

Ohiodoglover

So what can we say.... You seem to like sun, sand and concrete..... very little of that in Alaska. Instead you will see glaciers, majestic mountains, the inside passage, eagles, bears, whales, trees galore..... but no sand and concrete. :rolleyes:

That is too funny - you might just scare the poor guy away.:)

I see that you were in Alaska in 1999 - There are a lot of changes since then. They actually do have concrete, and sand.:D

Just on the off chance that OP hasn't done any research - -

Every port is actually in a "City" - some of which have tall buildings too! Espresso stands abound, as do the usual assortment of bars, pubs and restaurants and places to shop, of course.

:) Actually, Alaska is quite civilized! :)

Thanks for the responses so far. I too predict I will have a good time, but I am concerned a bit so I was looking for outside opinions. As the above poster said, someone else will be doing the cooking and cleaning - heck that's enough for me. I didn't have to go, but with it being a family vacation, and not seeing my bro, sis, and parents all at once very often along with my wife really wanting to go, we are going. Since booking, my sister has become pregnant and didn't want to travel 7 1/2 months in, so she's staying behind (heck, I don't blame her). I could come back a changed guy and think nature > city, but who knows. It will be a change of pace for sure, but maybe a good one, we'll see. I am definately not going in to it thinking it will be terrible. I am going in with an open mind.

I'm glad you are going with an open mind. What this cruise will do is open your eyes to the beauty and majesty of Alaska.

I am not the campy, nature type. My idea of camping would have to include a 5 star hotel. But I loved Alaska so much I went back a second time and will plan a third trip sometime soon.

I did a glacier hike on my first cruise. It included a helicopter trip out and an hour hike where you get an up close look at the little streams that flow into a waterfall directly into the glacier, little ponds of ice blue water, and of course the ice blue peaks of the glacier. Return trip was views of more glaciers among the mountains. My pix from this excursion are some of the best I have ever taken.

I've also done a dog sled ride. The ride is bumpy and fantastic. The dogs themselves are friendly and funny, you can look at them and see they want to run. For most of the dogs this is a way of training/conditioning for the runs they will do in competition races.

Weather, Alaska is unpredictable. Plan on layers tho. One cruise was chilly (Aug) and one was warm (June.)

I can't remember our exact excursions but I will look them up later this evening. If I remember right, one is a on a train, one is on a crabbing/fishing boat, and the other is whale watching I think. I can't remember exactly. Hopefully they will be a good time. I am confident they will be, especially with the whole family in tow on 2 of the 3. I am going to do more reading and research and check out some of the suggestions yall have given and see if some of them seem better suited for me.

You're right, what can we say? I don't have the same interests as you. I don't consider mountains majestic and eagles, bears, whales and trees don't really do it for me. Like I said, I am hoping I have a killer time and change my opinion completely on these things, or at least broaden the horizon when it comes to vacations. It might be one of those things for me where when I came back, I can have the enjoyment of saying I have been to Alaska or better yet, I will really enjoy it. Time will tell and I am hoping to have a blast. I was only voicing my concerns, not saying that we should all feel the same.

Well.... let us know how it turns out for you after your June cruise. Maybe you will come back with a different attitude.

OP, I am SO GLAD you posted this because all my cruises have been to Caribbean islands, and oh, how I love palm trees, white sand and the turqouise sea...we booked a B2B to AK for NEXT YEAR because I just figured "it was time to experience what everyone is talking about." I have since watched Discovery Channel's shows on AK and just think it is breathtaking, BUT, like you, I wonder if I'm not going to be aching for a nice sea day sitting on Lido with a DOD and slathering on suntan lotion. Plus I HATE being wet and I have Reynaud's Syndrome which makes my toes and fingers numb in the cold, so this is going to be quite an experience for me. Really enjoyed reading all the comments. And can't wait to hear all about your cruise!

Karen, I missed this post earlier and wanted to comment.

You sound like you are really looking into Alaska so you may know this but I'll say it anyway to be sure. Take along a few good pairs of rain proof shoes one a boot type, the other nice walking type. I don't say that to scare you, I say it because you'll want to be careful to keep your toes warm. I also had fleece mittins, hat and scarf.

My one trip was cool but as long as my hands and feet were dry and warm, I was fine.

My second trip, I was almost too warm. Had a few sun days at the pool too. :D

If you're booked on the crab-boat I'd recommend watching the Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel if you haven't seen it before (new episodes air Tuesday nights, but it replays during the weeks and I think there is a Deadliest Catch marathon this Sunday). It's a series following these amazing men on crab boats out of Dutch Harbor, battling the Bering Sea in winter to fish for crab. Words can't adequately describe it - it's remarkable, hypnotic, tragic, exciting, heroic. Wowers!

If you're booked on the crab-boat I'd recommend watching the Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel if you haven't seen it before (new episodes air Tuesday nights, but it replays during the weeks and I think there is a Deadliest Catch marathon this Sunday). It's a series following these amazing men on crab boats out of Dutch Harbor, battling the Bering Sea in winter to fish for crab. Words can't adequately describe it - it's remarkable, hypnotic, tragic, exciting, heroic. Wowers!

Yeah, I definately watch it. Usually the rerun marathons. It's a pretty insane show.

Thanks Mickie, I am really going to have to be very careful, but I am really psyched up about this cruise. I made meat loaf tonight and just churning the meat turned my fingers white :eek: Where there's a will, there's a way! I have small feet (size 5) so figure I'll get a bigger size shoe/boot and do the layers. I'll do the same with gloves and be sure to bring the hand warmer thingys you can put inside. It's going to be weird packing all this stuff while we are sweating it out in August in NJ lol.

Thanks Mickie, I am really going to have to be very careful, but I am really psyched up about this cruise. I made meat loaf tonight and just churning the meat turned my fingers white :eek: Where there's a will, there's a way! I have small feet (size 5) so figure I'll get a bigger size shoe/boot and do the layers. I'll do the same with gloves and be sure to bring the hand warmer thingys you can put inside. It's going to be weird packing all this stuff while we are sweating it out in August in NJ lol.

I too have Reynaud's, but it actually bothers me more away from Alaska, because in Alaska I'm prepared to dress for the weather. I've actually had "attacks" of it in 80 degree weather when there was a breeze, or 100 degree weather when I went in the water for a short swim.

When camping here in Alaska, or going out on a boat, I always (no matter the weather forecast) have a fleece hat or headband, fleece gloves, and extra socks. I find socks especially made for hiking to be worth having, as they are nice and thick. Even with wet shoes, I can last several days as long as I have extra socks. If it's going to be windy (which on your cruise I'm sure it will), make certain to have windblocking fabrics. I always travel with a lightweight rainjacket, as pulling it on over my fleece jacket is a great windbreak. Fleece headgear is great because it sheds water if it happens to rain.

Aggie, I feel your pain - I'm in the same space a bit. I'm taking a 14 day back-to-back from Vancouver on the Diamond Princess in a few weeks. I'm being urged to go in part because, living here in BC, I cannot see the appeal of an Alaska cruise, but it is the third largest cruise desination in the world after the Caribbean and Europe, so I'm trying to figure out why.

On the bright side for you, though, the Island Princess is one of my favourite ships in the fleet: lots to do, lots of space, an open pool and a second one with a retractable roof, a cigar bar, lots of hot tubs and a thermal suite in the spa. Even if you just hang with your family, I bet you'll have a great time.

After doing a few cruises in our time which was always to the warm and sunny islands which we could lay on the beaches, check out the rain forest on different islands and just plain walk around in shorts,tank tops and sandles we will be leaving on sunday for our Alaska cruise aboard the Star Princess. I also will be going with an open mind that the weather will be totally different than we are used to (weather reports show snow flurries and high in the 40's) just the fact of seeing the glaciers, whales, eagles and the plain beauty has me very excited about this cruise.

Things will certainly be different but I am sure it will be easy to adapt because going anywhere on a cruise in great and this one certainly will be no different and yet may be the best cruise we went on.

I will let you know how it was when we get back.

On the bright side for you, though, the Island Princess is one of my favourite ships in the fleet: lots to do, lots of space, an open pool and a second one with a retractable roof, a cigar bar, lots of hot tubs and a thermal suite in the spa. Even if you just hang with your family, I bet you'll have a great time.

Buddy604, is it actually warm by the pool under the retractable roof - do they heat that area on cloudy days to keep it warm enough to be comfortable in a bathing suit? We'll be on the Star in September, and that ship also has a pool with a retractable roof, and we were wondering about that. Thanks!

mytime53, Great advice. Thanks. We won't be cruising AK until August, 2009 (have 3 Caribbean cruises to get out of the way first! :D :p ) so I will probably wait until after winter sales next year to purchase any "new equipment." I am keeping all this advice in a folder, tho. I just looked up fleece gloves on Amazon.com and they're on sale from $21 to $2.99 :eek: Wonder how good they are??? (Classic Polar Fleece Gloves)

Aggie, I feel your pain - I'm in the same space a bit. I'm taking a 14 day back-to-back from Vancouver on the Diamond Princess in a few weeks. I'm being urged to go in part because, living here in BC, I cannot see the appeal of an Alaska cruise, but it is the third largest cruise desination in the world after the Caribbean and Europe, so I'm trying to figure out why.

Thanks for the info on the activities. My mom (who is reading this and thought being a 'lurker' as I said in the 1st post was a bad thing - HI MOM) planned this and said the Island is a smaller ship, which is more enjoyable to her. I cruised on the Carnival Conquest on my only other cruise which is massive so this may be a bit of a change, and hopefully a good one. I am definately excited about the trip.

mytime53, Great advice. Thanks. We won't be cruising AK until August, 2009 (have 3 Caribbean cruises to get out of the way first! :D :p ) so I will probably wait until after winter sales next year to purchase any "new equipment." I am keeping all this advice in a folder, tho. I just looked up fleece gloves on Amazon.com and they're on sale from $21 to $2.99 :eek: Wonder how good they are??? (Classic Polar Fleece Gloves)

I actually thought the fleece kept my hands warmer than leather gloves.

Aggie,

From your first post to your most recent one, I sense the excitement level has gone up and the thoughts of boredom have gone down. I hope that is the case. You've got some good excursions planned, you'll be with family that you seem to enjoy spending time with, and in the end, you'll have some fabulous pix to add to your collection!

Life is good. Happy cruising. :D

^^ I have been excited to go on vacation from the start. It's the time on the vacation that is concerning me. It is almost like I spent a lot of money for something I wouldn't have chosen, if that makes sense. But with the family and wife really wanting to go, I was more than happy to throw the money down for our share. It's not that I don't want to go or that I am not looking forward to it, I am, it's more that it's not in line with what I have enjoyed doing on vacation. I have my mind open to enjoy this though, that is for sure. I figure the worst that can come of it is that I am out of the office for a week plus, someone else is cooking and making my bed, and that I know I won't want to go back. I am confident I won't hate it, I am not confident I will love it. Hopefully all that rambling made sense.

Buddy604, is it actually warm by the pool under the retractable roof - do they heat that area on cloudy days to keep it warm enough to be comfortable in a bathing suit? We'll be on the Star in September, and that ship also has a pool with a retractable roof, and we were wondering about that. Thanks!
On the Island and Coral they keep that area very warm - steamy in fact - when the roof is closed. It's almost meant to be a spa pool, and the bar nearby specializes in energy and spa drinks too. It's directly attached to the spa and the thermal suite, so it's nice for hopping back and forth too. I miss that on the Diamond and Sapphire, where the covered pool is aft and the spa is forward.

Thanks for the info on the activities. My mom (who is reading this and thought being a 'lurker' as I said in the 1st post was a bad thing - HI MOM) planned this and said the Island is a smaller ship, which is more enjoyable to her. I cruised on the Carnival Conquest on my only other cruise which is massive so this may be a bit of a change, and hopefully a good one. I am definately excited about the trip.
Your Mom is in for a treat. You see, the Island is a smaller ship as far as passengers carried, but not as small in terms of space and gross tonnage. It has one of the best passenger space ratios in the fleet at 46.4, versus say the Diamond at 43.3, the Crown at 37.2 and Carnival Conquest, your other ship, at 36.9.

The higher the number, the more elbow room for each passenger. :) The numbers game would seem to say it's almost 30% more spacious than Carnival Conquest. I know that on the Dawn or Sun Princess, which has almost the same passenger load as the Island or Coral, but a space ratio of 39.7, I was always running into the same faces everywhere I went. On the Island, we all spread out a bit.

Well, there's fleece, and then there's fleece. I'm not familiar with the Classic brand. I have a cheap pair from Walmart ($5 or less) that I wear when others aren't wearing gloves, and then heavier, name outdoor brand ones that I wear for winter. I see you're in New Jersey. I wore my heavy ones in New Jersey in January. And in New York. And in Conn. And in Penn. :D

Since wind does me in (and cheap fleece doesn't block wind), I'm looking at these: http://www.rei.com/product/759941?cm_sp=prod*desc_rel_item*element for my next purchase (I lose so many gloves every winter).

Your Mom is in for a treat. You see, the Island is a smaller ship as far as passengers carried, but not as small in terms of space and gross tonnage. It has one of the best passenger space ratios in the fleet at 46.4, versus say the Diamond at 43.3, the Crown at 37.2 and Carnival Conquest, your other ship, at 36.9.

The higher the number, the more elbow room for each passenger. :) The numbers game would seem to say it's almost 30% more spacious than Carnival Conquest. I know that on the Dawn or Sun Princess, which has almost the same passenger load as the Island or Coral, but a space ratio of 39.7, I was always running into the same faces everywhere I went. On the Island, we all spread out a bit.

I found the Island to be the most spacious sold out cruise ship we'd ever been on.

We loved the Coral - sister ship to the island. Not only spacious, but less hassle getting on and off the ship. Remember too that they have the little-used aft viewing area that spans the ship on the Carib and Dolphin deck. Wonderful panoramic views, partially covered so you can be out on your lounge chair even in soggy weather. It's one of the reasons we booked her again for a B2B next summer.

Great thread...I have often thought that for our 25th anniversary, we would cruise to Alaska. I love the Caribbean but have see all of the TRavel Channel shows on Alaska and to me, a cruise is the best way to see all of its glory.

We love nature and fortunate to experience it in our daily lives but nothing compared to Alaska. We know a few people who have cruised Alaska and warmer places. They said Alaska was unbelievable.

It's not cheap either especially if you live on the east coast. Will be interested to see how the OP cruise goes!

Archived