cruising and ending in Bangkok

mikeyar

We are planning a cruise starting in Beijing and ending in Bangkok and doing pre and post tours. However, we want to stay a few more days after we finish in Bangkok..any suggestions which place we should visit before leaving for home from Bangkok or Hong Kong?

Thanks,

Arlene

We are planning a cruise starting in Beijing and ending in Bangkok and doing pre and post tours. However, we want to stay a few more days after we finish in Bangkok..any suggestions which place we should visit before leaving for home from Bangkok or Hong Kong?

Thanks,

Arlene

If you are talking about the Princess pre and post cruise package tours, I have not done that. The are undoubtedly very convenient but I can beat the price to death by taking the Princess transfers to/from the ports and making the hotel/tour arrangements myself. In Bangkok we used Viator tours, www.viator.com. We took, and highly recommend, their "Bangkok's Grand Palace Complex and Wat Kaew" and "Bangkok's Temples Tour Including the Reclining Budda at Wat Po" tours.

Do you need a hotel reservation in Bangkok?

We did a pre tour with Princess in Bangkok, but you can always sign up at the Princess desk at the hotel if you'd prefer to wait. If you go to the Princess website, you can see what they are offering as a pre or post package there and that will give you the 'big' sights, like the Grand Palace, the golden Buddha. We picked the Nong Nooch tour because we really enjoy gardens. Elephant show was okay, but the drive was really, really long.

Thanks for that info, we will be staying for 3 days in Bangkok and plan on doing our touring privately and not with the ship. Yes, we need rec. on hotels. We would also like to leave Bangkok and visit another city before going back to the States. Any suggestions?

Arlene

Thanks for that info, we will be staying for 3 days in Bangkok and plan on doing our touring privately and not with the ship. Yes, we need rec. on hotels. We would also like to leave Bangkok and visit another city before going back to the States. Any suggestions?

Arlene

Chiang Mai. Easy one hour flight on Thai Airways, cooler than Bangkok depending on the time of the year and different than Bangkok.

Arlene

We stayed at and can highly recommend The Old Bangkok Inn www.oldbangkokinn.com . Very interesting neighborhood for short walks to really absorb the atmosphere. It is similar to staying at a small family owned European hotel. It is listed on the 2006 Conde Nast Traveler "Hot List." We were in the Lemongrass room. There are not many rooms and they are very small by our standards. Cozy. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city center. The "private garden" outside that room is even smaller. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The Grand Palace and temples are quite close and there is even a McDonalds nearby if you just want to have a quick sandwich and an outside ATM machine at a bank next door to the hotel to buy Baht. We prearranged with the hotel to pick us up at the Bangkok airport and take us back there to meet Princess on embarkation day. Viator Tours picked us up and took us back to the hotel each day. Very reasonable prices and good English speaking guides. You can certainly get cheaper lodging in Bangkok but they do not have this local atmosphere. If you go there please do not be disappointed at the size of the rooms. But that is the only negative we would have.

If possible go on a one or two day trip to Bridge over the River Kwai - easily organised from Bangkok and you get to see the war graves, the Jeath Museum, walk over the bridge and have a ride on Death railway. The second time we went, we actually stayed in a hotel deep in the jungle alongside the river and visited Hell Fire Pass on the second day

The Bridge on the River Kwai trip can be combined with a trip to Tiger Temple. Absolutely Spectacular. There are MANY many tours which get you out of Bangkok, into the jungle with elephants, tigers and history.

http://www.tigertemple.org/Eng/

http://www.tigertemplethailand.com/tours_tiger_temple_thailand.html

And you are only an hours flight from Angkor Wat. Easy to book the flights online (Bangkok Airways). Hotels can easily be booked through Asia Rooms. And you don't need a tour-you truly can do it on your own or just have your hotel hire a driver and guide. Enjoy!!!

The Bridge on the River Kwai trip can be combined with a trip to Tiger Temple. Absolutely Spectacular. There are MANY many tours which get you out of Bangkok, into the jungle with elephants, tigers and history.

http://www.tigertemple.org/Eng/

http://www.tigertemplethailand.com/tours_tiger_temple_thailand.html

And you are only an hours flight from Angkor Wat. Easy to book the flights online (Bangkok Airways). Hotels can easily be booked through Asia Rooms. And you don't need a tour-you truly can do it on your own or just have your hotel hire a driver and guide. Enjoy!!!

Thank you. Do you know any details of the elephant camp visit mentioned on the 2nd website?

Thanks,

Arlene

I would recomend Hua Hin this is a beach town quite large. 2 i/2 hours drive from bangkok the king has a residecne here great 5 star hotels on beach plenty of shopping and restaraunts plus a 5 star golf course.the hotels to stay hilton. ask for gulf view room, or the Softiel this was in the movie the killing fields, transfers from bankok in mercedes or volvo about $80 i have been here 4 times in the last 12 years.if you stay here you would be able to transfer back to bangkok airport. check Hua Hin out on the net. its pronounced wah hin enjoy.

p.s if interested i will look for transfer company.

I would recomend Hua Hin this is a beach town quite large. 2 i/2 hours drive from bangkok the king has a residecne here great 5 star hotels on beach plenty of shopping and restaraunts plus a 5 star golf course.the hotels to stay hilton. ask for gulf view room, or the Softiel this was in the movie the killing fields, transfers from bankok in mercedes or volvo about $80 i have been here 4 times in the last 12 years.if you stay here you would be able to transfer back to bangkok airport. check Hua Hin out on the net. its pronounced wah hin enjoy.

p.s if interested i will look for transfer company.

Do you know how far/how easy it would be to get from Hua Hin to the port?

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are staying at the Shangri-la Beijing for 3 nights prior to a Beijing to Bangkok cruise on the Diamond Princess. I booked the hotel myself (not a pre-cruise tour). Does anyone have any comment about the hotel? Also, what is the best way to get to Xingang given that we don't have Princess transfers?

Post cruise, we made reservations with Princess in Bangkok. Any comments? We're staying at the Shangri-la there, also.

Thanks for any helpful insight.

Louise

• 2 months later...

Thanks,

Arlene

Dear Arlene:

I am also looking for info regarding our cruise on the Diamond Princess leaving oct 6/08 - Beijing to Bangkok.

Has anyone given you info on transfers (not from Princess) from the ship to the airport in Bangkok? I would liketo know what others have done.

This cruise critic thing is a bit confusing for a computer slow grannie like me so please email me at

suelust@telusplanet.net

Strathmore near Calgary Alberta Canada

Many thanks,

Susan

My husband and I are staying at the Shangri-la Beijing for 3 nights prior to a Beijing to Bangkok cruise on the Diamond Princess. I booked the hotel myself (not a pre-cruise tour). Does anyone have any comment about the hotel? Also, what is the best way to get to Xingang given that we don't have Princess transfers?

Post cruise, we made reservations with Princess in Bangkok. Any comments? We're staying at the Shangri-la there, also.

Thanks for any helpful insight.

Louise

Shangri La is a quality hotel group. Have not been to Beijing but would always stay Shangri La in Bangkok ( great Thai restaurant on river ) and Shangri La in Singapore. Not Hong Kong where Mandarin Oriental is my World number 1 :)

Archived