Best Family Cruise Line / Ship ??

Vic Mackey

Originally Posted by Vic Mackey viewpost.gif

Hi,

just returned from our first cruise on OV2.

We really enjoyed the cruise, and the kids club for our boys aged 8 and 6 was very good.

I was thinking of maybe trying a bigger more upmarket ship next time, but don't want to lose the good kids club / facilities, and don't really want the formal dinner setting as this would not allow us to eat in peace as the kids were in the club.

I have loked at Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL, Costa and P&O

Any sugestions folks ?? :D

First you have to tell me what the OV2 is? Thanks...lol. :D

Next, most mainstream cruiselines have great programs for kids. Some are a little better than others. Some have alot of ammenities geared toward kids.

But how big of a ship do you want to be on?

Well, NCL does not have traditional dining, so you could go to dinner after the kids head off to the club.

Also, with lines with traditional dining, if you don't mind eating late, you could take the kids to the buffet for dinner early and then share dinner with your spouse during the second seating.

I haven't been on all the lines you listed, but I think that the choice of ship on each line is just as important as the line itself. The newest/biggest ships on all the lines have all the great amenities for kids and adults alike.

Originally Posted by Vic Mackey viewpost.gif

Hi,

just returned from our first cruise on OV2.

We really enjoyed the cruise, and the kids club for our boys aged 8 and 6 was very good.

I have loked at Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL, Costa and P&O

Any sugestions folks ?? :D

for the UK market the answer is clear - RCCL Indepedence of the Seas sailing from Southampton:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?br=R&shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=ID

Love the suggestions coming from this thread. Our family is considering a cruise for summer 09 and are looking at FOS.

What cabin suggestions do you have for the young families? One has children aged 4 and 1 (at cruise time) and the other has children aged 6,5, and 4. Then us, the grandparents. I'm thinking 3 cabins, but wonder if any of the suites would be better. I'm not finding pricing for passengers 3,4,5 . . . in the suites. Can you help???

:):):) ninkb

Love the suggestions coming from this thread. Our family is considering a cruise for summer 09 and are looking at FOS.

What cabin suggestions do you have for the young families? One has children aged 4 and 1 (at cruise time) and the other has children aged 6,5, and 4. Then us, the grandparents. I'm thinking 3 cabins, but wonder if any of the suites would be better. I'm not finding pricing for passengers 3,4,5 . . . in the suites. Can you help???

You won't find pricing for more than 4 people in a cabin on the website. You can only book a maximum of 4 people on the web. For more than 4 people in a cabin you will have to call either RCCL or a TA to book,

RCCL has several options for families of 5 but they vary depending on the ship.

RCCL has several family staterooms (Family Insides, Family Promenades, and Family Oceanviews) that will hold up to 6 people in the same cabin. They require a minimum of 5 people to book and they cannot be booked over the internet.

They also have Royal Family Suites which have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathroom and hold up to 8 people (minimum of 5 people to book).

RCCL will allow you to book 5 people into Grand Suites and Owner's Suites.

They may also want to look into connecting cabins for options.

For the family with only 2 kids, they have lots of options as RCCL has staterooms in many categories that will hold 4 people. BUT, they will want to remember that in inside quad cabins, the 3rd and 4th beds are pullman beds that aren't really suitable for children as young as theirs. They will probably want to go for at least a balcony cabin with a sofa bed.

Good advice about the pullman beds. As for the pricing, do the suite prices apply to just the first and second passenger, then others pay discounted (3rd, 4th, . . .) prices?

Sounds like I need to get a TA involved sooner than I usually do. I like to do the research, and have things pretty well figured out before calling to book. Guess I trust something in writing over the internet more than I trust an answer over the phone, when it's not in writing.

I'm still keeping an open mind on this . . . all help is appreciated!

The 3rd and 4th passenger pricing varies depending on the sailing. I would definitely get a TA involved now especially if you are interested in a family stateroom. If you want to travel at a popular time of year, the longer you wait, the more of a chance you can't book the cabins you need.

Has anyone with kids booked the RCL Independance of the Seas yet ?? :cool:

I know people who were on the inaugural sailing of Indy with kids.

Since it is the same as the Liberty/Freedom except for itinerary (and it's brand new)...what question did you have? I may be able to help you.

I pretty much laid out the highlights of a Freedom Class ship here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=774447

I know people who were on the inaugural sailing of Indy with kids.

Since it is the same as the Liberty/Freedom except for itinerary (and it's brand new)...what question did you have? I may be able to help you.

I pretty much laid out the highlights of a Freedom Class ship here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=774447

Thanks for your help cruisinmama !

Was wondering if the kids facilities were really as good as advertised by RCL ?

Thanks for your help cruisinmama !

Was wondering if the kids facilities were really as good as advertised by RCL ?

Yep, you can see the kids Adventure Ocean schedules that this family board has compiled at...

http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

I assure you, none of us get paid to advertise for RCCL. Although we SHOULD...lol. :D {hint, hint, if you are reading this RCCL}

They have great facilities on Indy...no matter which age group. If you kids are still 6 and 8 when you sail, they will be in the same group. If they are 7 and 9, they will be divided.

And of couse, outside of the kids club, they have some pretty awesome ammentities for kids.

Main Pool...

Freedom-Pool.jpg

H20 zone

IMG_0724.jpg

The Promenade

IMG_0867-1.jpg

And there's the 3 level dining which is nice...

IMG_0750.jpg

Has anyone with kids booked the RCL Independance of the Seas yet ?? :cool:

If you are planning on going during school holidays you can bet on it. Last summer when we when the Navigator iwas doing these cruises I had never seen more kids on a ship - as many as Disney. The vast majority of passengers were from the UK (90%+) with a smattering of people from everywhere else.

• 5 weeks later...
If you are planning on going during school holidays you can bet on it. Last summer when we when the Navigator iwas doing these cruises I had never seen more kids on a ship - as many as Disney. The vast majority of passengers were from the UK (90%+) with a smattering of people from everywhere else.

Archived