Birthday and Anniversary ?

We chose our cruise date because of our daughter's 21st birthday, which is 2 days prior to the cruise departure date AND our 33rd wedding anniversary is 3 days prior....is there any reason to share that info when registering? I don't know if there are any perks....it would be nice if there were, though, because I could have cruised for 1,000 bucks less in December versus right after her birthday. :rolleyes:

Salsa Dancer

Good Afternoon:

You certainly can share the information but unless you specifically request a cake they do nothing.

We cruise every February on our anniversary and it is in the reservation. They use to surprise us with a cake on the day but then a few years back they changed it to where you have to specifically tell the head waiter of the occasion and they bring you a slice of cake.

It use to be a special thing but then they cut back on it unless requested.

Enjoy your anniversary and daughters birthday!!

On our second cruise, we were surprised with a slice of cake with a little "happy Anniversary" stick in it and they sang to us at the dinner table. Our TA told them it was our anniversary. But that was all that happened. It was nice.

Other years, I will pre-order a chocolate cake and it was delivered to our room the first day. The chocolate cake is delicious.

For our friend, I pre-ordered the chocolate cake and had it delivered to the table the first night at dinner and they sang Happy Birthday to her. She was surprised!

Thanks for the tip. I just changed my reservation this afternoon after finding a huge savings....which means that we will be cruising ON our anniversary and ON our daughter's birthday. Who could ask for more? Except for a really good chocolate cake for three choco-holics!!! Thanks again!

Salsa Dancer

From what I have read, the age of the passenger for the cruise is the age on the date of the embarcation. Meaning, if she hasn't turned 21 by the beginning of your cruise, she will still be 20. Will that bother her?

From what I have read, the age of the passenger for the cruise is the age on the date of the embarcation. Meaning, if she hasn't turned 21 by the beginning of your cruise, she will still be 20. Will that bother her?

That's a great question...and the answer had me dancing in my desk chair earlier today!!! :D I booked the April 4th cruise solely because she and my hubby wanted her to be able to have a glass of champagne, etc., during the cruise...or a pina colada on the pool deck;) ...and I've posted a few times jokingly mentioning the "cost" of that glass of champagne!

Well, the GREAT news is this....I talked to a phone rep at Royal and learned that any young person 18-20 CAN have alcohol on a cruise, IF their parent/s are travelling with them and signs a waiver (found on the site somewhere). At first the rep said that the cruise departure date would be her age during the whole voyage, but she said, "Hang on...let me check something," and then told me about the WAIVER. I was so happy about that. So we can celebrate her 21st birthday onboard a ship/Barbados and our anniversary the day before in St. Lucia!!!! And by changing the date of our cruise, I saved a bundle!!! Now everyone is happy.

Sheesh...I know we sound like lushes, but not. We're just sentimental...heavy on the mental. :D

That's a great question...and the answer had me dancing in my desk chair earlier today!!! :D I booked the April 4th cruise solely because she and my hubby wanted her to be able to have a glass of champagne, etc., during the cruise...or a pina colada on the pool deck;) ...and I've posted a few times jokingly mentioning the "cost" of that glass of champagne!

Well, the GREAT news is this....I talked to a phone rep at Royal and learned that any young person 18-20 CAN have alcohol on a cruise, IF their parent/s are travelling with them and signs a waiver (found on the site somewhere). At first the rep said that the cruise departure date would be her age during the whole voyage, but she said, "Hang on...let me check something," and then told me about the WAIVER. I was so happy about that. So we can celebrate her 21st birthday onboard a ship/Barbados and our anniversary the day before in St. Lucia!!!! And by changing the date of our cruise, I saved a bundle!!! Now everyone is happy.

Sheesh...I know we sound like lushes, but not. We're just sentimental...heavy on the mental. :D

The minimum drinking age on RCI Ships is 21. Only on sailings from South America and Europe 18 - 20 year olds can drink with the waiver being signed.

If a person turns 21 during the voyage they can go to the customer service desk and have their sea pass changed reflecting the new age commencing on that date.

Good Afternoon:

You certainly can share the information but unless you specifically request a cake they do nothing.

We cruise every February on our anniversary and it is in the reservation. They use to surprise us with a cake on the day but then a few years back they changed it to where you have to specifically tell the head waiter of the occasion and they bring you a slice of cake.

It use to be a special thing but then they cut back on it unless requested.

Enjoy your anniversary and daughters birthday!!

This was changed due to all of the "Cake Hogs"

The minimum drinking age on RCI Ships is 21. Only on sailings from South America and Europe 18 - 20 year olds can drink with the waiver being signed.

If a person turns 21 during the voyage they can go to the customer service desk and have their sea pass changed reflecting the new age commencing on that date.

You're right, Ray....I started another thread on this topic, generated a lot of discussion, and have made some phone calls to RCI to clarify. One rep said one thing, when I booked, and the second rep, that I spoke to today, said another. According to the second rep, a departure from San Juan isn't included in the South American grouping but in the Caribbean islands...he checked further and informed me that the waiver isn't an option for a San Juan departure. He checked a couple of times, agreeing that it was a gray area with San Juan. The legal drinking age there is 18, by the way.

I think it is fair that they give you the opportunity to change your age status from minor to adult if your birthday occurs during your cruise.

Thanks for the input....I love this forum!

We usually cruise either during our birthday (DH and I share) or our anniversary...

Both times we usually get a slice of cake in the dining room one night AND a spa coupon...

Well, that sounds fine to me! I'm going to let them know that we have two events going on...you never know....that Tuesday is our anniversary and the next day is DD birthday. :)

Archived