Barbados Driving Tour Suggestions?

atdogbeach

We will be arriving in Barbados on the Adventure of the Seas on Tuesday, May 13th and have reserved a rental car for the day from Stoutes.

Can anyone recommend an itinerary for a driving tour of the island that will have us back to the ship on time?

How much of beautiful Barbados can we see in just one short day?

Of interest to us:

1. Accra for some beach time,

2. The Crane. (too far away?)

3. West coast beaches for snorkling?

4. A nice place to stop for lunch.

Sure would appreciate some advice! We'd like to make the most of our day...

We will be arriving in Barbados on the Adventure of the Seas on Tuesday, May 13th and have reserved a rental car for the day from Stoutes.

Can anyone recommend an itinerary for a driving tour of the island that will have us back to the ship on time?

How much of beautiful Barbados can we see in just one short day?

Of interest to us:

1. Accra for some beach time,

2. The Crane. (too far away?)

3. West coast beaches for snorkling?

4. A nice place to stop for lunch.

Sure would appreciate some advice! We'd like to make the most of our day...

Will need to know how long you are able to tour.

Looking at your interests it appears as if you’re solely interested in beaches and lunch.

If you chose to go to Crane, you should plan on 1-1/2 hours round trip travel, plus beach time plus lunch there if you chose. The only problem with Crane is that you won’t want to leave, so I’d make a day of it. Beach, lunch and leisurely drive back.

You can return to the West coast beaches the way that you came, or head up the East Coast Highway after you leave Crane. Absolutely stunning scenery. You can head West at Bathsheba and meander through the interior (plan on getting lost here) and arrive at Holetown. Here you will find some decent snorkeling at Folkestone.

If you STILL have time, continue south to Accra, but I’ll bet you’ll be beached-out by now.

If you’re not hungry yet at Crane, continue north to the Atlantis Hotel in Bathsheba for lunch. Excellent and much cheaper than Crane.

If you do the circuit (dock-Crane-beach-lunch-Bathsheba-Holetown-Folkestone-dock), you’re looking at six+ hours (depending on your length of stays at these places plus your luck at not getting lost). Add another 1 to 2 hours if you want to see Accra after Folkestone.

Pretty much an eight hour day, but one to remember.

Enjoy! :)

Ming - Your description really helped! The ship will dock at 8:00 am and leave at 5:30 pm - I'd say that gives us around seven hours to tour the island.

If you had seven hours in a rental car, what would you do?

I’d leave the dock and head NE to Harrison’s caves. Really nice stop (check hours of operation as they’ve changed since we’ve been there).

Continue NE on #2 (?) and stop at Chalky Mount Potteries (local stuff…excellent) then south to Bathsheba / Tent and explore and awe (this is the best in the Caribbean and it is a close match to the Sheyshell Islands in the Indian Ocean).

South to Crane (going to be hard for you not to stop every K, or so, as it’s so beautiful.

Spend your time here (no snorkeling!!).

If you look up beautiful in Wikipedia, the first definition is CRANE BEACH ;)

Lunch at Crane (you’ll love it).

Back to the ship via SW.

Seven hours (unless you can’t leave Crane!).

If the Caves don’t interest you, you can substitute Welchman Hall Gully / Flower Forest / Andromeda Gardens / St. John’s Parish church that are all in this area.

Come back (as my dad sez) and see the rest! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of years ago we rented a car from Stoutes, just outside the cruise ship terminal. We had a great time, mostly just meandering around.

We drove north along the main road and hung a right at Speightstown. That took us up into the highlands, stopping at St. Nicholas Abbey. Then we continued downhill stopping to take in some incredible vistas. We stopped at the Windmill and took the tour, picked up a drink and made our way to Bathsheba. We stopped at a beach or two along the way then cut back across the island to Gun Hill Signal Station. Along the way we stopped and got some snacks and a sandwich before heading back to Bridgetown.

I found Bridgetown VERY difficult to find my way around. I think I stopped 3 times asking for directions back to the terminal. I finally spied the funnel of the ship in the distance and just made my way in that general direction until I found it. The streets went every which way and didn't seem to have much in the way of signage. I'd give yourself plenty of time to get back!

I'd do it again in a minute. It was so much fun just rambling around. Driving on the left was a challenge but I didn't scare anyone besides my wife.

Your old pal,

Joe

I found Bridgetown VERY difficult to find my way around.

I think I stopped 3 times asking for directions back to the terminal.

I finally spied the funnel of the ship in the distance and just made my way in that general direction until I found it.

The streets went every which way and didn't seem to have much in the way of signage.

Yes, Bridgetown was never logically laid out -it evolved!:)

You might like to consider that, just two days ago

the Visitor's Driver's Permit fee escalated wildly

from U.S.$ 5 to U.S.$ 50 :eek: so you may want to reconsider!

The entire local car-rental industry is up in arms about this

and representation is being made to have it reduced to a sane level

(maybe U.S.$ 10 would be more appropriate?duuhh)

so this isn't the end of the story, just yet.

Sorry bout dat. :o

You might like to consider that, just two days ago

the Visitor's Driver's Permit fee escalated wildly

from U.S.$ 5 to U.S.$ 50 :eek: so you may want to reconsider!

The entire local car-rental industry is up in arms about this

and representation is being made to have it reduced to a sane level

(maybe U.S.$ 10 would be more appropriate?duuhh)

so this isn't the end of the story, just yet.

WOW!! quite an increase.............Thanks for the heads up............

• 5 months later...
I’d leave the dock and head NE to Harrison’s caves. Really nice stop (check hours of operation as they’ve changed since we’ve been there).

Continue NE on #2 (?) and stop at Chalky Mount Potteries (local stuff…excellent) then south to Bathsheba / Tent and explore and awe (this is the best in the Caribbean and it is a close match to the Sheyshell Islands in the Indian Ocean).

South to Crane (going to be hard for you not to stop every K, or so, as it’s so beautiful.

Spend your time here (no snorkeling!!).

If you look up beautiful in Wikipedia, the first definition is CRANE BEACH ;)

Lunch at Crane (you’ll love it).

Back to the ship via SW.

Seven hours (unless you can’t leave Crane!).

If the Caves don’t interest you, you can substitute Welchman Hall Gully / Flower Forest / Andromeda Gardens / St. John’s Parish church that are all in this area.

Come back (as my dad sez) and see the rest! :)

Sorry for digging up an old thread. We're looking at renting a car in Barbados for our 8am to 5pm cruise stop. As it turns out, we'd be there on Dec 31st.

Anyways, the above itinerary looks very nice. We'd definitely want to check out the Caves, and possible Crane since everyone's talking about it.

We would also definitely like to fit in some monkey sightings, and also some historical sights.

Any suggestions on itinerary for a day of driving would be greatly appreciated!

Archived