May 20 Istanbul to Athens overbooked

gnu2cruisin'

Well. We received a call from our TA this morning offering us a full refund and $750 to give up our cabin. No way!! We leave Thursday for a precruise visit to Istanbul, but told the TA we'd be happy to cancel for $1.2 million. :D

$750 does seem a paltry sum to offer Oceania passengers. Who can put a price on a years worth of planning and delicious anticipation?

I agree. I wonder if it was $750 pp, or total. But there's always someone who is not as emotionally vested in a vacation, and they will take some figure. I wonder what the final offer would be. It would depend on pre- and post-cruise plans and financial commitments--if there were flights booked and paid for, no way I would take an offer. Interesting that it's cash, and not a future cruise credit--that's nice. OTOH, they could give you a nice big credit for a future cruise, that might be worthwhile.

Actually, I believe there was a choice of $750 or a future credit of about $2000. In any case, certainly a paltry sum to drop plans at the last minute! I can't imagine anyone taking this offer unless they were totally booked (air, hotels) with Oceania and were having second thoughts about taking the trip anyway. As for us...we booked our own air, several nights in Istanbul and Athens at hotels and we're going:D !!!! See you in Istanbul, Penzance.;)

Archived