QE2 Webcam Music on Board

ColumbiaSC

I greatly enjoyed the recent 2008 Farewell World Cruise on board "the marvelous QE2," as we heard at Noon daily when Captain McNaught was in charge. Now I am in the process of having my photographs sorted and prepared for presentation by a professional. I want to use the background music that I grew so fond of on the tv in my cabin when I watched the webcam. There were a number of classical or semi-classical pieces or parts and there was some variation but not much.

Clearly there was a "standard" tape used most of the time.

Could someone please tell me the names of some of the musical selections and the composer? As you know, music does not accompany the webcam of the QE2 when viewed online at www.cunard.com Therefore I need the help of someone who has been on board or someone who is currently on board who can ask the appropriate Cunard official.

Thanks!

So very happy to see that about 100 people have viewed this thread. Sorry that no one as yet has been able to identify the specific musical passages. I now think that two of the pieces are from Handel's "Joy of Man's Desiring" and from Bach's Brandenberg Concerto. Perhaps this will jar some memories ... Thanks for looking at this thread.

I believe that just about any light classical numbers would be fine.

You can sample selections at Itunes or other online music sites, to be sure that you have what you want or like.

As for asking "appropriate Cunard officials" on board... Yikes, better off composing and recording your own symphonies or concertos... :eek: :rolleyes:

Good luck and have fun with it. :D

Thank you, Kyle.

I will also pay careful attention to the music you have used along with some of the photographs you have posted. Great work! I have today e-mailed Cunard and requested the information about the music on the tape they use on the QE2 as background for the Webcam pictures on the television in one's cabin. When I get a response, I shall post the results on this thread for everyone to see.

Earlier, when I mentioned someone on board asking an appropiate Cunard official, I meant for that person not to ask advice of the official about what to use as music but just for the information about the names of the musical selections on the tape used.

Don.

Don,

Why not email the ship direct qe2@cunard.com and direct it to someone on board who might be able to answer the question? I must admit any time im on board l do find the webcam music very interesting, but just assumed they had a stack of cds in no order and somebody played them on randon selection...

Good luck with the quest, and do keep us posted

Cheers

Myles

I now think that two of the pieces are from Handel's "Joy of Man's Desiring" and from Bach's Brandenberg Concerto. Perhaps this will jar some memories ... Thanks for looking at this thread.

I think that would be "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" by J.S. Bach (the same composer as the Brandenburg Concerti). Regardless of what was actually playing on the Webcam channel, I think that these would be excellent choices for your project (unless of course you want to spice it up with "Touch My Body" by Miss Mariah!).

How embarrassing for me -- much have been a major senior moment. I am emailing Warren Smith to ask him directly about this, as I think he is in charge of the Webcam music.... Thanks.

DK

.... (unless of course you want to spice it up with "Touch My Body" by Miss Mariah!).

- or - Petal, afterall I, me, myself would not want to be "the last to let you down" ;) so how about a few bars of 'Runaway' by Mr Del Shannon, n'est-ce-pas?

LeOne

'The One who closed the door on Australia'

- or - Petal, afterall I, me, myself would not want to be "the last to let you down" ;) so how about a few bars of 'Runaway' by Mr Del Shannon, n'est-ce-pas?

LeOne

'The One who closed the door on Australia'

LeOne (like the new spelling, but should it not be LaOne?):

Hope you are well! It was a pleasure meeting you on QE2 - LA-NY. Not sure if you remember me. Curly hair, highlights. How are you finding settling back into "real" life?

Michael

Dearest runaway, your mere wish is my command, as you well know. I shant let you down easily, as you know I will undertake to do all I can for you in the end. Cheers.

I have not yet heard from Warren Smith, who is presumably still on the marvelous QE2. I may have to wait until the Lady from Athens (remember the passenger talent shows?) is next on board and have her get the information I want about the webcam music. She is taking a transatlantic to Soton later on and then a five-day sojourn and then the longest Med cruise -- the penultimate cruise of the marvelous QE2.

I feel so safe knowing you are in charge of the defense of Australia, that glorious place that I fell in love with.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

LeOne (like the new spelling, but should it not be LaOne?) Michael

Michael, too true, but I must make do with what I've got!

How could I forget? And, how very modest - stiff competition for Mr McDreamy is more like it.

Arrived back home on Saturday last after spending three weeks in Amsterdam. Fortunately I have Autumn Colours on QE2 booked for September so the pangs of separation from shipboard life, and QE2 in particular, are less than might otherwise be. I have no other definite plans for other cruises at this stage. How about you?

LeOne

Arrived back home on Saturday last after spending three weeks in Amsterdam. Fortunately I have Autumn Colours on QE2 booked for September so the pangs of separation from shipboard life, and QE2 in particular, are less than might otherwise be. I have no other definite plans for other cruises at this stage. How about you?

LeOne

LeOne,

How nice that you got to keep the voyage going, so to speak! I hope you had a blast in Amsterdam; never been, but hope to visit some day. We so enjoyed our short time on "your" ship (you being the WC complement who let us share your home!). Have a couple upcoming HAL cruises and then Jan '09 on Mary 2 to the Carib., which is building to a large group of like-minded, fun-loving folks! Be well, and see you 'round the boards! And perhaps onboard again sometime!:)

Michael

I am delighted to report that the impeccable Cruise Director Warren Smith on the marvelous QE2 for the Farewell World Cruise has responded to my query, and I am posting below his response as I promised I would.

Hello Don

Please see below some of the music we use on our Bow Camera Channel...

Alexander Pitanic

Bach Collection C

Baroque Masterpieces

Brandenburg Concert

Nithan Milstein

Piano Sonatas

Hope this helps?

Kind Rgds

Warren

Cruise Director

Queen Elizabeth 2

qehcdir1@cunard.com

Hello, Don --

Good on Warren for coming through! :)

Whenever I am on, I always put the cabin television to the bow camera for the music...it's just the "sound" I like in my rooms. One trip I thought there was one loop. After three days of it I went to the radio room to ask that it be changed! Done!

Trying to remember the January crossing, I recall the violin at times....I know they played the Brahms Violin #1 and the Bruck #1, as well as the Mendelssohn #1. And I heard the Brandenberg Concerti.

Also heard the Chopin #1 piano concerto, some Mozart and the Beethoven "Moonlight", #14, I think. Somewhere along the way "they" did the Haydn #52 in E-Flat, the Bach 2 violins in D and Pachelbel's Canon. I heard Teleman, the Concerto for 2 Horns in D.

I remember once a series of Handel ... the Water Music, the Royal Fireworks, and, once at Christmas, the Messiah. "They" also then did the Corelli #8 and some Vivaldi (Alla Rustica) and his Sonata in A.

Actually, I suppose most harpsichord music or Baroque pieces would aid you in your scoring.

You might try U-Tube and find if they've Bach, Gluck, Purcell, Scarlotti, Haydn, Handel or Teleman pieces posted .... you'll probably find something you like. You'll know it is "the sound" you recall from the QE2 and it will be so personal because it is music you've picked!

Hope this helps ... and encourages! :)

Archived