Day 1 in Tahiti?

runrgrl

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do the first day of the cruise? I understand the ship will be crowded as the previous cruisers may stay on later. We plan to board around lunch time. What should we do for the afternoon?

We were on the April 8th -18 Cruise. Ship was not crowded at all. We boarded about noon, had lunch and you could check your carry on in the Grill Restaurant if you wanted. You can get in your cabin at 1:30 and then we just chilled by the pool, etc- no crowds, plenty of chairs.

Of course we spent two pre days in Tahiti too. Options would be a local tour, or just grab a Taxi for a short tour to Point Venus and the Black Sand Beach. You get a little History lesson along the way concerning the Missionaries and the HMS Bounty.

Lots of options.

Dennis

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do the first day of the cruise? I understand the ship will be crowded as the previous cruisers may stay on later. We plan to board around lunch time. What should we do for the afternoon?

You will have access to your room, of course, when you board. Are you going to have lunch on the ship? The buffet will be where the ship feels really crowded. We jsut dropped our stuff off and headed across the street to one of the many outdoor cafes in Papeete. After that, we wandered through Le Marche (best bargains are on the top floor towards the back) and the mall close by. We walked down to the post office (best exchange rates four years ago) and exchanged a little money. Before re-boarding the ship, we went back to le Marche and picked up a flower arrangement for our cabin.

This year, we plan to skip dinner in the dining room and head across to Mango's (restaurant we saw featured on "No Reservations!"). There are also the Roulettes - you should at least visit the crepe cart for dessert! They line up on the dock in front of the ship, so they are easy to find and you can get just about anything you fancy.

No matter what, you'll find plenty to do and the space to do it in.

Have a great cruise!

Charlie

Thanks for the suggestions for planning the first day, especially places to eat. We're staying at the IC Papeete for 2 nights before the cruise, and need ideas of things to do / see those 2 days. This helps.

Charlie

Thanks for the suggestions for planning the first day, especially places to eat. We're staying at the IC Papeete for 2 nights before the cruise, and need ideas of things to do / see those 2 days. This helps.

While it's convenient to eat at the hotel (and the food is fabulously just about anywhere you dine - the French influence is alive and well in the restaurants), it's fun to just get out and explore Papeete. You can pretty much walk it in a couple of hours. We stayed at the Sheraton and took Le Truck in and then walked back to the hotel - in the rain, it was so much fun. We looked like drowned rats when we got back, laughing all the time. Definite pay Tahiti Manava Visitors Bureau - right by the dock a visit for local sites and discounts!

There's the Pearl Museum(great for picking up some tips before buying those pearls) in town and a short ride outside the city, there's the Museum of Tahiti the Fern Groto, and the Botanical Gardens - so much to see! You might think about doing a half day cirlce tour to get a feel for the island if you get bored in Papeete.

Sigh, I'm ready to leave NOW!

We just returned from our cruise and we did a half day tour with Patrick. It was great fun. You'll love this cruise...it was unbelievable. We had such a great time; the ship was wonderful; all the islands so beautiful.

When my husband and I planned this for our 25th wedding anniversary we kept saying "its a trip of a lifetime, probably won't get back there"...now its "when we go back"...once is not enough.

If you have any specific questions, ask away...

We just returned from our cruise and we did a half day tour with Patrick. It was great fun. You'll love this cruise...it was unbelievable. We had such a great time; the ship was wonderful; all the islands so beautiful.

When my husband and I planned this for our 25th wedding anniversary we kept saying "its a trip of a lifetime, probably won't get back there"...now its "when we go back"...once is not enough.

If you have any specific questions, ask away...

I"m having trouble connecting with Patrick. Do you have an email? Thanks everyone for the info!

2ndsailing that is funny as we are heading there in Nov. for our 25th and that is exactly what we are saying, trip of a lifetime and that we probably won't get back there. We may be eating our words also. i guess if there's a will there's a way!:)

2ndsailing that is funny as we are heading there in Nov. for our 25th and that is exactly what we are saying, trip of a lifetime and that we probably won't get back there. We may be eating our words also. i guess if there's a will there's a way!:)

When I went back to work I told my boss..."I work to cruise"...starting to save for the next cruise now....

• 1 month later...

HI, we too are going on our 25th anniversary on 30th October. Can you tell me which nights the special functions are on please? I am trying to plan excursions etc and think it would be a goo idea to know the which nights we would need to be back on board early to get ready for a formal do!Some one on this site mentioned a caribean theme evening, does this happen? would like to buy the right clothes in advance. thanks

HI, we too are going on our 25th anniversary on 30th October. Can you tell me which nights the special functions are on please? I am trying to plan excursions etc and think it would be a goo idea to know the which nights we would need to be back on board early to get ready for a formal do!Some one on this site mentioned a caribean theme evening, does this happen? would like to buy the right clothes in advance. thanks

What exactly do you mean by special functions? When you overnight in Bora Bora, there will be a special dance troop (with kids) brought in to entertain just before the first seating (if I'm recalling correctly). The only way you'd miss this is if you're going on a dinner cruise. They announce it in enough time that you are able to arrange your schedule accordingly. T

We did this cruise a few years ago, so it might have changed, but when we did it. First formal night was the third night (sailing to Rarotonga in our case) and the last formal night was to Moorea. They will try to pick a sea day for at least one of the formals, which again looks like right after Huahine, this time sailing to Rangiroa and the last night will be on the way to Moorea. Should be close to the same on yours.

I don't remember a Caribbean theme in the dining room, although there was a French night and a American night(usually the very last night). Mostly it's a small decoration on your table and a different tie for your server - I don't remember anyone getting into any kind of a costume for dinner and a more appropriate food selection. Certainly the passengers didn't. However, tropical wear is certainly the overall them of most of the resort casual nights, so you won't go wrong with some tasteful Hawaiian shirts and comfortable slacks. I always take some mu'u mu'us with me as well.

Have a great cruise and congrats on 25 years! These days that's an accomplishment - we're celebrating 29 just before leaving, so the cruise will be an anniversary present for us as well!

Cheers!

Archived