Handicapped Cabins

sunie55

Can anyone give me some info on the handicapped cabins on the larger ships? A friend of mine went on a smaller Carnival ship and said the handicapped cabins weren't adequate, but I've heard that on the larger ships such as the Legend they have the roll in showers and the rooms are quite negotiable.

Carnival's handicapped cabins vary based on ship, and somewhat based on the ship's age. Whether they are adequate depends on your needs.

My husband uses a power chair with elevating legs so he needs more space to turn around than one without elevating legs. We have sailed in handicap cabins on the Carnival Imagination, Fascination, Destiny, Elation, Spirit, Paradise, and Glory. None of the cabins were as large as some we have had on RCCL and Celebrity, but some were better equipped than others.

All our cabins had doors and bathroom doors wide enough for a wheelchair, and "roll-in" bathrooms with bars and roll-under sinks. All the cabins, with the exception of the Destiny were big enough to turn his wheelchair around. However, the "older" ships (Imagination, Fascination, Elation, and the Paradise) had identical, smaller cabins and much smaller bathrooms without built in shower seats. My husband had difficulty turning into the bathrooms without assistance, but otherwise they were adequate. The Destiny had a slightly larger bathroom with a built in shower seat, but our cabin was v shaped and difficult for him to turn around it.

Our cabins on the Spirit (inside) and Glory (partially obstructed) were a little larger and much better equipped with just enough space for him to turn around. They both had much bigger bathrooms with true roll-in showers. They also had emergency pulls and adapted closets.

Cabins, aside, Carnival ships are very accessible. My husband was able to go to almost every area of the ship without assistance. This has not always been true on RCCL and the Infinity had many thresholds that were passable, but made for a very bumpy ride.

I hope this helps.

Archived