Exit Glacier 1978 sign?

sharp_cruiser

I would like to see if I can get near that sign at Exit Glacier in Seward that is occasionally advertised. It says (I think) "1978" and it shows where the glacier reached at that year.

Is that near a trail that I can access on my own? Any information would be appreciated!

I would like to see if I can get near that sign at Exit Glacier in Seward that is occasionally advertised. It says (I think) "1978" and it shows where the glacier reached at that year.

Is that near a trail that I can access on my own? Any information would be appreciated!

Yes, on the trail to the glacier, not too far from the parking lot, there will be several signs along the trail stating the year the glacier was at that location. Have fun.

It is a really neat and easy place you can walk. I remember being so hot walking on the trail and feeling the cold air as you got closer. we were there 10 years ago I wonder how much it has receeded since then?

Here you go:

Image-DCE46FAC9EE711D7.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Gonna nickname you David Copperfield!

The hike to Exit Glacier is great! We enjoyed seeing the markers indicating where the glacier was at different years too. I only wish I'd've taken more pictures of my teens standing at the terminus for them to compare to when they (hopefully) take their own children someday...

It is a really neat and easy place you can walk. I remember being so hot walking on the trail and feeling the cold air as you got closer. we were there 10 years ago I wonder how much it has receeded since then?

Come back and see for yourself. :) It has receded alot.

Many improvements have been done..the overlook loop trail, the road is paved the whole way, washrooms with running water and a staffed ranger station with items like books for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

When I visit the nps website for Exit Glacier, there are several trails. Would that sign be on: Nature trail, mail trail, Outwash plain trail, or overlook loop trail?

Sorry for the silliness of this... I just want to maximize my time there since we will have only a few hours. Thanks!

Archived