To New Yorkers...question

Hi,

Was going to go to NYC the day before our cruise and was hoping someone could help us out with a restaurant.My wife and I are taking my parents out for their anniversary and they have never been to N.Y.

Could someone suggest a restaurant that would have a real New York "feel" ie) not a chain restaurant.We would like to keep it around or under $100 per couple excluding alcohol.

We will be staying at the Hyatt in JC and was also wondering if anyone knew if there is a pharmancy and liqor store near the hotel.Would also be curious to the cost of a taxi from Newark airport to the hotel and to the pier (Bayonne) in the morning.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Take the PATH into the city and then the subway to Chinatown or Little Italy. They are right next to each other. If you want a feel for the city eat on the sidewalk in Little Italy and watch the free show in front of you. One night we had the police run by, and ambulance race doen the street and one of those fire trucks with the driver on the back of the ladder make a 90 degree turn in front of us on those narrow streets. He made it in one shot. We like to eat in Chinatown and go to Little Italy for dessert. Walking around both places and stopping in the little shops is a lot of fun. :cool:

We also will be cruising from Bayonne in Oct (17th) and going to NY a day early flying into Newark. Which do yall out there think is best, renting a car for the day and driving around NY or taking cabs and other. We are from GA and have never been to NY. Also what are the sights we should focus on having only one day before the cruise, it is myself, husband, DS 14, DD 16, and a family friend.

Hey All,

I have lived in NYC for 7 years and love my city.

A couple of routes to go

1) Full On tourist mode- Time Square, a Broadway Show and restaurant Row.

2) Do it like a new yorker and go to one of the restaurants listed below. Go to a comedy club in the west village, walk through central park, go see a live band in the east village

My Favorite Restaurants in NYC

The Hour Glass Tavern- on 46th & 9th

A Tiny Italian Place $13-20 for a pre-fixe 3 course meal, exellent food

Gobo- In the west Village- Pan Asian Cusine, beautiful, inexpensive

You can never go wrong with little Italy, take a cab or subway to Mulberry and Canal and walk along the street, usually I go where ever the most persausive matre'd woo'd me

Also one block up on Canal is the heart of China town, go onto the side streets for real authentic food.

Lastly for those brave enough go to 6th Street and Ave A for Little India- its safe just totally off the beaten path of tourism, same thing two whole blocks of Indian Restaurants. You can have a full course meal for 2 for about $30 including drinks, desserts and appetizers

TAKE THE SUBWAY OR CAB IT DO NOT RENT A CAR IN NYC

You will spend your time parking and stuck in traffic.

There is a book called Not for Tourists which I highly recommend, if you like culture check out TIme out Magazine which has dozens of weekly events

The Metropolitan Museum is my favorite, Natural History is great if you have kids.

You can get great discounts on theatre tickets in times square at TKTS or if you aren't picky go to the theatres 15 minutes before curtain and find out if they have standing room or rush tickets left, I saw Beauty and the beast and Victor Victoria for $17, I got orchestra tickets for lily tomlin for $30.

If you really love theatre and don't need to see stars check out my website www.risingsunnyc.com I can get you great discounts to up and coming shows not yet big

Enjoy my city and your cruise!

Which do yall out there think is best, renting a car for the day and driving around NY or taking cabs and other.

Definitely do NOT rent a car with the intention of driving around NY. It will be a nightmare for you, especially since you'll be coping with not knowing the city. The traffic is bad enough for native NYers. Take cabs and try out the subway, which is MUCH safer than it's often made out to be. You can buy a pass (called a Metrocard 1-day Fun Pass) that offers you unlimited subway and bus rides for a mere $7.

I second the recommendations of visiting Little Italy and Chinatown.

Could someone suggest a restaurant that would have a real New York "feel" ie) not a chain restaurant.We would like to keep it around or under $100 per couple excluding alcohol.
Try Joe Allen - sample menu with prices available on that site under the New York link. I'm a great lover of the one in London - hopefully this is a small enough group not to count as a "chain".

We stayed at the Hyatt in JC. The path train is right next door and is $1.50 each to get you right to the World Trade Centre. It's great. I'm trying to remember and will check and get back to you but there is a store near Times Square that has 800 different types of beer from all over the world. My DW and I were like kids in a candy store. I think it is the same street as NBC is on but will double check.

Mike & Tracey

There used to be a number of great restaurants in NYC, but they come and go. Moran's Chelsea's Seafood on 10th & 19th was fabulous, the Irish waiters were just off the boat trying to pronounce an italian dish... so funny. They have mainly fish and steak And the cabinets were lined with irish crystal. And in the winter several fireplaces going. It is out of the way, but not a fake place like many of the chains, it has real history. But if you want a fun chain try Jekyll & Hyde's. Food ok, but atmosphere so great. One is in the village and the other uptown.

The best suggestions usually would be found in Zagat. If you want to to do the Broadway "thing" then go to Carmines Restaurant. It is a family style restaurant meaning that they pretty much put big dishes in front of you and you share it with your family. There are two Carmine's however, make sure you book the one on Broadway and I believe 45 Street. If it easier for you since you guys are taking the Path over to the WTC, If you come out of the WTC train station and walk east to the East River, you will hit South Street Seaport. There if you like you can take a water taxi over to the Brooklyn Promenade and eat on Old Fulton Street at Grimaldi's (Formerly known as Patsy's). They are well known for their cozy restaurant that is almost exclusively coal oven pizza. Pies only, no slices. Many celebrities have eaten there. Like I said earlier check Zagat and it will help you decide.

I think the best place to go is The View which is located at the very top of the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. The restuarant revolves and you sit near the window and overlook the entire city. For $100 two can have dinner and a drink. Be sure to call for reservations and ask for a window seat!!!

The best part is the deserts!!!!! Food is also good too.....

Kay

Definitely do NOT rent a car with the intention of driving around NY. It will be a nightmare for you, especially since you'll be coping with not knowing the city. The traffic is bad enough for native NYers. Take cabs and try out the subway, which is MUCH safer than it's often made out to be. You can buy a pass (called a Metrocard 1-day Fun Pass) that offers you unlimited subway and bus rides for a mere $7.

I second the recommendations of visiting Little Italy and Chinatown.

beachcouple.jpg

I agree completely Johnql. Traffic is a nightmare here in Manhattan. Taxi or subway is just fine. Little Italy and or Chinatown is a good choice for dining experience.

:D

We agree with CARMINES on broadway. The food is delicious and plenty of it

Prices are good and get "The Titanic" for dessert . Enough for 4-5 people.

Dress is casual. If you want something a little fancier go to Tavern on the Green .

absolutely agree with Carmine's on Broadway. The prices are reasonable for NYC, the food is fabulous, and the atmosphere is great. Just be prepared for a long wait, unless you have a large party--I think they are taking reservations for parties of 10 and over now.

I have to disagree with the recommendations for Carmine's. It is just a tourist trap close to Broadway with large portions. The food it mass produced and not an authentic NYC dining experience. You have to order large family style meals so a family of 4 or 5 people would only need to order 2 dishes, not much variety because the dishes are double portions so you would all have to agree on the same dishes. Carmines is much better for large groups of 10 or more on tours. If your only going to have one night in the City then go for real Italian food, go the Little Italy, and then walk around China Town. There are amazing deals on t-shirt and knock off designer watches and handbags.

Cabs are fun to hail when you are from out of town. It is also a great way to take in some of the sights. The subways are very time consuming to figure out and a bit confusing and congested as well as dirty and claustrophobic and the doors open and close very quickly. If your sharing a cab with 4 or 5 people a cab fare would cost as much as if you all purchased subway tokens. Don't be afraid to ask people to direction. New Yorkers are really very nice and love to be helpful.

Carmine's is on 44th St, just west of Broadway. I've enjoyed eating there and will do so again, but I would still prefer exploring Little Italy. Carmine's works if you're going to be primarily in the Times Square/Theater District.

Hey Rance,

A taxi from Airport to that hotel should be around $35 (give or take). As far as pharmancy and liqor stores go. I can think of 2 of each close by. However, that hotel is in an area of big office buildings. On a weekday everything is open. On a weekend it go 50/50. I think I missed what your sail date was? If you are also on the Oct 17th cruise, then you would be at that hotel on a Sat. If so you may need to walk a few blocks to shops that are open. Looks like you already have lots of ideas as to where to eat in the city, so I won't go into that. If you have any questions about it, feel free to e-mail me. I have one last great tip for you. Use your hotel phone book. Do not take a taxi from the city your hotel is in to the ship. The run on meters and can add up fast. If your going to go with taxi transport, open phone book and all taxi company's in Bayonne. They cost less and have a flat rate system. They can tell you over the phone what they will charge you. If the roads are bad every min won't cost you money. Call them night before and again in the am. OK, again maybe an hour before they should get you as will. They write it down and plan there day around airport and ship drop offs. The town is very close to the airport and they all have a good idea what the roads are like.

Hey Mergle

I will be on that ship as well! Please God don't drive from airport to the city. It will take up the day. The taxi stand at Newark Liberty runs on a pre-fixed rate. You tell the person at the front of the line where you are going and they give you a slip with the price on it. Hang on to slip. If a cab driver wants more coz it took them to long, you have the slip and are in the right. My guess is you are staying Mid Town in the city? That should run you $45 plus. Tolls should add about $6 to $7 on top of that. Or just go SuperShuttle or something like that. If in NYC all day Sat the 16th make the most of it on foot and with cabs. If I knew what area you were going to be in and what time you will be geting into NYC, I could give you some hints on what to see or how much it could cost. Feel free to write and ask me some stuff if you would like. Maybe we will meet up on the ship and you can tell me about your day in New York. To get from NYC to cruise port really think about a van like supershuttle or any of those kind of things. A NYC taxi cost a lot to the port. If roads are backed up I know it can cost way over $100. For that kind of money you can call days before and get a limo. Taxi are only good for geting around NYC. Even then if roads are bad tell them to stop, give them there money so far on the clock, and walk. Again, if you have any questions just give me a shout. See you on Voyager!

I would avoid the tourist traps. Tavern on the Green is an experience, but the food isn't very good. I wouldn't bother with the revolving restaurant at the Marriott. Haven't eaten at Carmines, but assume it's something of a tourist trap as well.

We've recently had delicious meals at Artisanal (fantastic cheese selection and the best steak frites in town), Eleven Madison Park (may run more than $100 per couple though), Veritas, Union Square Cafe, Blue Water Grill, Anissa. Any of these have a real New York feel, as opposed to a touristy feel.

OK, I think you have been fully convinced not to rent a car.

As for dining, you need to explain what you mean by "real" NY experience. To some of my out of town friends it means eating where the locals eat; to others it means eating someplace your friends & neighbors heard of when you get home. Which do you want?

I'd recommend the zagats site to help you select by price, location etc. www.sidewalk.com also is good. Little Italy is better than Carmines. I do take friends there occassionally but it is overrated. Chinatown is great & can be inexpensive. Personally, I love the steakhouses: Smith & Wollensky (it's techincally a "chain" now b/c they've expanded into other cities but this is the original), Peter Lugars, Cite etc. What kind of food do you want? That will have an effect on the recommendations we give. For something you probably can't get at home, how about Asia de Cuba?

Enjoy.

I would highly recommend the Four Seasons Restaurant on 52nd St between Park and Lexington (not at the Four Seasons Hotel-this is different). They have a pre-theater (early dinner) 3-4 course menu for $55 per person which is wonderful . It includes coffee/tea but not other drinks which can be pricy, being NY. Ask to be in the pool room- elegant and very NY (jackets required). Tell them it is a special occasion and you will get a wonderful surprise dessert with candle.

Archived