To New Yorkers...question

Flying into LaGuardia and taking, I hope, a limo to the Hyatt in NJ. How far from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the port (will take a cab on cruise day). Right now flights are quite a bit cheaper flying into New York than Newark. Also, can't seem to get a limo service to give me any information. Any info on limousine companies? Thanks for the help.

>>Flying into LaGuardia and taking, I hope, a limo to the Hyatt in NJ.<<

LGA to the Hyatt in Jersey City. 20mi give or take. However, and this is a big, big, however. This is a 20 mile or less ride that can take anywhere from 30 min to 6 hours. ( No Joke Folks ) Add the cost per ticket to LGA & EWR. I guess if you are 3, 4, 5 people LGA per ticket could maybe add up to big bucks saved. Use $100 for a limo from LGA to Hyatt JC, NJ as your guide. You might get a better price say $75 limo each way. ( I have paid $65 plus tolls ) But I live here and did major shopping for that price. $200 limo cost round trip lets say. Again aside from cost, please add up your time from LGA to Hyatt NJ. How much of that day do you feel ok with spending in traffic? OK, that said. From Hyatt to port is less then 10 min. It is not very far at all. It's a new thing to the area so many drivers limo, taxi, etc, may seem clueless. Since it's only 6 months old, you may come accross a driver who seems a bit lost by the whole thing. Don't worry about it. There are signs and people will help if asked. A taxi from the port town ( See yellow pages in hotel ) will charge a flat rate ( $20 to $35 give or take ). Taxi in the city of the Hyatt may charge a per minute rate. They tend to add up much faster. The taxi companies in the port town do not run on a meter system. If you hit traffic it won't cost your life savings with them. Call the night before to pre-book. Then call again that morning to re-confirm. There should be about 3 in phone book to chose from. Best advise on limo companies I can give is maybe call some in the port town as well. (PS I don't work for the Bayonne Tourist Dept) But you might be able to get a deal with them for all your airport trips and your hotel to port ride. Many smaller company you deal and or see and speak with the same people. If your driver from the airport knows you did not stand him up and you gave a good tip, he will be more likely to show up and be on time the next day, the next week when you return, etc, etc. Maybe even have his cell number. Who knows. Even still write down the numbers of the Taxi Co's just to be safe. Hope this all helps. Have fun! Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. There are, right now, seven of us -- could be more -- trying to find the most cost effective airport, etc. Don't mind spending the money on a nice hotel and limo -- it's our vacation and we deserve to be treated. Thanks again -- will do some budgeting, etc., and figure out what to do. Of course, then comes sightseeing and shopping -- my 21 year old won't stop talking about Tiffany's.

Just curious (might have missed it in your original posting)? What is your sail date? With even just 7 people if you are saving $50 or more per person to fly LGA and get 1 limo that can fit 7, at $100 per way for the limo you will be saving a great deal with LGA over EWR. The Hyatt is very nice from what i have been told. Never been in it, but have past it a few times. It's very, very new and has the best view of NYC. (You need on the NJ side of the water to really see the view anyway) The view will let you see NYC from lower then WTC area all the way up to the 50's. I live and work here so I don't want to quote specific cabs, limos, etc. I don't want you guys to all think I own a cab or limo company. LOL. I just have a lifetime of knowledge of this area. Hell, I grocery shop within walking distance to the hotel you will be at, so i got lots of info to share if anyone wants it. I could even scan the local yellow pages under taxi & under limo and e-mail or have link to them if you or anyone wants them.

We love The Hour Glass Tavern! ;)

Hey All,

I have lived in NYC for 7 years and love my city.

A couple of routes to go

1) Full On tourist mode- Time Square, a Broadway Show and restaurant Row.

2) Do it like a new yorker and go to one of the restaurants listed below. Go to a comedy club in the west village, walk through central park, go see a live band in the east village

My Favorite Restaurants in NYC

The Hour Glass Tavern- on 46th & 9th

A Tiny Italian Place $13-20 for a pre-fixe 3 course meal, exellent food

Gobo- In the west Village- Pan Asian Cusine, beautiful, inexpensive

You can never go wrong with little Italy, take a cab or subway to Mulberry and Canal and walk along the street, usually I go where ever the most persausive matre'd woo'd me

Also one block up on Canal is the heart of China town, go onto the side streets for real authentic food.

Lastly for those brave enough go to 6th Street and Ave A for Little India- its safe just totally off the beaten path of tourism, same thing two whole blocks of Indian Restaurants. You can have a full course meal for 2 for about $30 including drinks, desserts and appetizers

TAKE THE SUBWAY OR CAB IT DO NOT RENT A CAR IN NYC

You will spend your time parking and stuck in traffic.

There is a book called Not for Tourists which I highly recommend, if you like culture check out TIme out Magazine which has dozens of weekly events

The Metropolitan Museum is my favorite, Natural History is great if you have kids.

You can get great discounts on theatre tickets in times square at TKTS or if you aren't picky go to the theatres 15 minutes before curtain and find out if they have standing room or rush tickets left, I saw Beauty and the beast and Victor Victoria for $17, I got orchestra tickets for lily tomlin for $30.

If you really love theatre and don't need to see stars check out my website www.risingsunnyc.com I can get you great discounts to up and coming shows not yet big

Enjoy my city and your cruise!

Thanks for the info.I would really appreciate a number of a Bayonne cab and limo company if you have access, that way I can pre-arrange it before I go.

Our sail date is Oct.22 and we were hoping to pick up a few supplies near the hotel in JC (Hyatt) such as pharmacy and some booze, any info. near the hotel would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Why spend all that money for just dinner, when you can go to a show and have dinner for around the same amount? I agree with the person who recommended you go to the TKTS booth and see what show tickets they have that day. There's a great Italian restaurant in the theater district, actually right around Times Square, called Maria Pia. I think they have a website, you can look them up and view their menu. VERY reasonable prices, and good homestyle Italian dishes.

Sharon H.

Just did the cat show at Madison Square Garden this weekend. Two gals benched next to me had flown up from NC for the weekend and spent an extra two days being "tourists." Things they said they enjoyed most were dinner at Sardi's and a carriage ride through Central Park, then a stop at Linde's for NY cheesecake.

>>> spent an extra two days being "tourists." <<<

Let me just add my 2 cents to the what to do type questions. For all us locals please remember that 1st time visitors most of the time would like to see the NYC they see in movies and on TV. A meal that we think is over the top because of the name on the door like ( Four Seasons, Tavern On The Green, etc ) means something entirely something different to folks from the rest of the country. Same goes for shops & shows. Most want to hit the shops on 5th ave whether they buy stuff or just look. So they can say they went to Tiffany's, etc.

Not saying all you locals don't realize that. I use to be the head of a pre & post tour dept. for a major national tour company. My job was to take folks who had to pass through NYC on there trips and wanted to spend 1 or 2 days in NYC while they were in the area. So I know a great deal about trying to help tourist with 48 hours or less see NYC in fast forward.

My advice to you guys is make a list of what you always wanted to see and do in NYC. Write them down in the order in which they pop into your heads. Then see how many you can realistically see in such a short time. Hope this stuff helps folks. LOL.

I'm feeling extra nice and helpfull because I can't wait for Sunday.

Archived