White Pass Summit - Bus and Rail

VT-HokieCruiser

For the Chilkoot Charters' White Pass Summit Bus & Rail excursion going up on the bus and returning to Skagway on the train, which side of the bus should we sit on and which side of the train should we sit on for the best views? Also, will our experiences and sights be the same as those going up to the Summit by train first and then returning to Skagway by bus?

Going up by bus and down by train you want to be on the right side of both bus and train. My preference to go up by train, but I suppose it's not a big difference.

Murray

I'm confused. ON an April 12 posting, Murray said on the regular 7 hour Chilkoot train and bus tour, "but the 7-hour goes to Emerald Lake, and for 90% of that trip, the RIGHT side of the bus is the winner northbound. So leaving Skagway on the 7-hour rail/bus tour, left side of the train, right side of the bus." Is that still correct?

But Budget Queen said, "If you are leaving Skagway by train, you will want to sit on the left side of both the bus and train. Opposite- leaving Skagway by bus, sit on the right both ways. Definately superior and a must in my opinion.

... . sitting on the wrong side on the Klondike Highway from the summit, has you next to a rock wall, and needing to look across the other seats."

Can we straighten this out for the regular 7 hour Chilkoot train and bus tour, which appears to be the most popular?

I would have preferred the train up and bus back, but we were so late making the reservation, the 3.5 hour excursion with bus up and train back was all that was available. We had originally requested the 7 hour tour, but that was full. I just feel lucky to have a seat and be experiencing this at all. Having said that, I do want to make sure we can get maximum enjoyment by sitting on the best side. Thanks for all of these tips.

You might not have a choice of which side to sit on the train. Even though there weren't many of us on the 7-hour rail/bus trip - there were more people than there were seats on the left side of the train. I spent most of my time on the platform between cars, or in the car ahead of us that held the few folks who were about to get off to hike. However, I couldn't hear the narration.

Hi VT-Hokie Cruiser!! My hubby is a grad!! We try to go to at least 1 football game a year (but not always cause we can't get season tix)....anyway...when are you sailing? We're 8/2 on the Diamond!!

I'm glad you asked the question...it was in my notes to check.

I'm still a little confused. If 7 hr train ride leaving skagway on train - sit on the left side of the train. When you get off the train, sit on the right side of the bus continuing up to emerald lake. Then on the way back to Skagway, sit on the left side of the bus? Is this correct??? Thanks! Diana

I'm still a little confused. If 7 hr train ride leaving skagway on train - sit on the left side of the train. When you get off the train, sit on the right side of the bus continuing up to emerald lake. Then on the way back to Skagway, sit on the left side of the bus? Is this correct??? Thanks! Diana

That is correct, Diana :)

Murray

BUT, when you switch from the train to the bus as you go north to Emerald Lake, aren't you in effect assigning yourself a seat on the bus that basically is yours for the rest of the bus tour,even when you head south back to Skagway? Can you just switch seats from right to left after the stop at the lake? Don't people leave bags, jackets, etc, on their seats at each stop??

BUT, when you switch from the train to the bus as you go north to Emerald Lake, aren't you in effect assigning yourself a seat on the bus that basically is yours for the rest of the bus tour,even when you head south back to Skagway? Can you just switch seats from right to left after the stop at the lake? Don't people leave bags, jackets, etc, on their seats at each stop??

It depends - saving a seat happens but not commonly from my experience, particularly not after the lunch break.

p.s. - "my experience" is from being driver/guide for similar tours for 17 years until retiring 2 years ago.

I don't recall best side to sit on the bus going up but coming down on the train you want to sit on the right side. Apparently everyone who rode the train with us also did their research because everyone immediately proceeded to the right side of the train.

Hi VT-Hokie Cruiser!! My hubby is a grad!! We try to go to at least 1 football game a year (but not always cause we can't get season tix)....anyway...when are you sailing? We're 8/2 on the Diamond!!

I'm glad you asked the question...it was in my notes to check.

A Virginia Tech fan - GO HOKIES!! We do go to as many games as we can - just buying individual tickets and alumni reunions - no season tickets for us, either. We are on RCCL's Serenade of the Seas on 6/21 - can't wait!

As for the White Pass Summit tour - I have to keep thinking "right side". I hate to be one of those people (or in those groups of people) that knock others over just to get a good seat - but on the other hand - I do want the perfect view!!

I am attaching a link to a Photoshow I made after our cruise in June '07. We rode the bus up and the train back. Fortunately, we picked the right side of both and saw some of the most spectacular scenery ever. The views were stunning as you will see. Hopefully we will get back in the near future.

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/KN8iF7ri

I am attaching a link to a Photoshow I made after our cruise in June '07. We rode the bus up and the train back. Fortunately, we picked the right side of both and saw some of the most spectacular scenery ever. The views were stunning as you will see. Hopefully we will get back in the near future.

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/KN8iF7ri

Beautiful slideshow, Lynette!

Archived