Solstice - Webcam picture of the aft of the ship

Phil, I am impressed! You must have a friend at the Meyer Werft;). If the forward side of the hump is a "mirror image" of the aft side, then I think we picked a good balcony for the Equinox TA. Presuming that the Equinox is built exactly the same as the Solstice.

Thanks for contacting the werft and then sharing with all of us.

Wow, great view of the aft cabins. Is it just me, or is it almost impossible to believe that in 7 months, that ship will completed and sailing on the ocean. It is amazing what can be accomplished in a short period of time.

JoAnne:

A very reliable poster on another board spoke to the President of Celebrity at the RCI board of directors meeting and he said they are actually ahead of schedule in building Solstice. I have one of those aft balcony cabins in March and can't wait...

After looking at these pictures I have 3 questions about the Aft staterooms:

The overhangs look extremely small; will there be the same amount of coverage on the aft cabins as there are on starboard and port sides?

I'm not seeing any partitions between the stateroom balconies, are they just not put in yet?

What are the blue things in the middle of every other deck? Something temporary I hope.

Guessing from all currently available picture, the overhead will be pretty small on the aft balconies.

The partitions on the aft balconies have not been installed yet.

The blue things are temporary 'work stations'.

CCaftBS.gif

Hi Phil, :D

Our many thanks along with everyone else! Love to see the progress that is being made. This is almost as good as actually being on the ship, ~~~not quite, but almost! Can't wait until Nov/09 on Equinox. That being said, we'll squeeze in a TA on Galaxy Dec/08. Love this ship & really hate to see her leaving the fleet.

Bill & Dianne

• 5 weeks later...

We just booked an aft C1 cabin for the first cruise on November 23. I am coming to terms with the fact that we won't be enjoying the space that the Summit and Infinity have afforded us in the past, but I'm worried about what seems to be a very limited canopy or overhang. We typically have breakfast served on our balcony every morning. Not sure if this will be a possibility with the current look of the aft cabins.

Any new news?

We just booked an aft C1 cabin for the first cruise on November 23. I am coming to terms with the fact that we won't be enjoying the space that the Summit and Infinity have afforded us in the past, but I'm worried about what seems to be a very limited canopy or overhang. We typically have breakfast served on our balcony every morning. Not sure if this will be a possibility with the current look of the aft cabins.

Any new news?

I've been following the Solstice threads, not with interest to sailing on her, as WE love the small ships, but as to what has all of you so excited. Has it occurred to you all...that ALL the balconies look VERY crowded and small, from pictures you've posted, unlike the "M" class ships that have those "secret" cabins. Those balconies all look AS small or smaller than those on the "R" Azamara ships. They are really JUST as wide as the window/door opening. They look like the cabins are on the small side too if this balcony is any indication. So what IS it you self professed "Balcony Snobs" found so great about this ship:confused:

Does anyone have any idea of the schedule? For instance - when it leaves this building and goes to the float out?

From the Meyer Werft website :

10th August 2008

Undocking of Celebrity Solstice

End of September 2008

Ems conveyance of Celebrity Solstice

I've been following the Solstice threads' date=' not with interest to sailing on her, as WE love the [u']small ships[/u], but as to what has all of you so excited. Has it occurred to you all...that ALL the balconies look VERY crowded and small, from pictures you've posted, unlike the "M" class ships that have those "secret" cabins. Those balconies all look AS small or smaller than those on the "R" Azamara ships. They are really JUST as wide as the window/door opening. They look like the cabins are on the small side too if this balcony is any indication. So what IS it you self professed "Balcony Snobs" found so great about this ship:confused:

....JPM_rofl.gif

I've been following the Solstice threads' date=' not with interest to sailing on her, as WE love the [u']small ships[/u], but as to what has all of you so excited. Has it occurred to you all...that ALL the balconies look VERY crowded and small, from pictures you've posted, unlike the "M" class ships that have those "secret" cabins. Those balconies all look AS small or smaller than those on the "R" Azamara ships. They are really JUST as wide as the window/door opening. They look like the cabins are on the small side too if this balcony is any indication. So what IS it you self professed "Balcony Snobs" found so great about this ship:confused:

Having had a 1A balcony stateroom on Azamara Quest I can say that any of the verandas on Solstice class ships will be much larger and deeper than the equivalent on the Ren-Class ships. That applies to the staterooms, the bathrooms (and by far the shower:rolleyes: ) along with most anything else on the ship as well. Take a look at this link to see for yourself:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=694

I am certainly not a balcony snob, for example have a porthole room on my upcoming Paul Gauguin cruise.

I also was not particulalry interested in the Solstice when it was first announced as I like smaller ships. I think this is mostly because I don't like the cattle call vibe that can occur in the cavernous dining venues.

When I saw the contemporary design of the Solstice interiors, the low pricing and learned about Aquaclass (dining room with seating for only 130 people), I couldn't resist giving the ship a try. I really think that we will have a great time. If not, how bad can a Caribbean cruise on an essentially new ship really be?

The brochure lists Solstice balcony cabins at 192 square feet with 53 square feet balcony. I haven't sailed Azmara but looking at the Journey and Quest stats see balcony staterooms of 175 square feet with 40 to 64 square feet balconies. Balcony on the Paul Gauguin is a little over 30 square feet. So I'm not sure I get your point...

John

Hi XCruiser!!! Remember me...from Millie? You were kind enough to leave me some yummy sushi in 6144! LOLOL

I sure do and glad you enjoyed the treat. Let me know your stateroom number on Solstice so I can pull some strings and try to have some hidden pizza placed in your stateroom for your onboard arrival. :eek: :D

:D LOLOLOL....Ah....so, you read my pizza post....:D Wow....That was almost cause for cancellation! Hey, I'm from Jersey....what do u expect? I need my pizza! :D So, no Solstice plans for you yet, huh?

First - Thank you for sending the bow shot.

I do not understand the windows at the bow.

On the deck plans it has the sunrise (7) with ocean view rooms at the front and family rooms on the bend, and then on the vista deck (8) it shows the same. On the picture it shows another row of front windows but it doesn't show any rooms. I guess this is the panorama deck (9). What is at the front of the panorama deck - I'm under it in a FV suite so Im kind of wondering what will be going on above me. I also called X and they told me that my balcony is actually 155 sq ft not 55-105 as listed in the brochure - gosh I hope its true. It actually looks huge but it's hard to see with the green thing in front. This room is a huge 575 sq ft plus 155 balcony but are the FV rooms less luxurious. I have not seen any photos.

First - Thank you for sending the bow shot.

I do not understand the windows at the bow.

On the deck plans it has the sunrise (7) with ocean view rooms at the front and family rooms on the bend, and then on the vista deck (8) it shows the same. On the picture it shows another row of front windows but it doesn't show any rooms. I guess this is the panorama deck (9). What is at the front of the panorama deck - I'm under it in a FV suite so Im kind of wondering what will be going on above me. I also called X and they told me that my balcony is actually 155 sq ft not 55-105 as listed in the brochure - gosh I hope its true. It actually looks huge but it's hard to see with the green thing in front. This room is a huge 575 sq ft plus 155 balcony but are the FV rooms less luxurious. I have not seen any photos.

The forward section of the Panorama Deck will likely be officers quarters as the bridge is just above and no space is shown for these on the Sky Deck. Below is the latest picture with a better view of this area.

s%20675_engine_pr_mg_0742.jpg

Having had a 1A balcony stateroom on Azamara Quest I can say that any of the verandas on Solstice class ships will be much larger and deeper than the equivalent on the Ren-Class ships. That applies to the staterooms, the bathrooms (and by far the shower:rolleyes: ) along with most anything else on the ship as well. Take a look at this link to see for yourself:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=694

Those are NOT your standard balconies...just look at the many photos of the ship...where do you see balcony with windows on the front (Where are those pics from...below the aft balconies?? Especially as you can see that none of the balconies are finished on live cameras, must be some special area of the ship) Standard Rooms don't look any bigger than Azamara either, extra Sq ' seem to be in Bath...which is always welcome!

Those are NOT your standard balconies...just look at the many photos of the ship...where do you see balcony with windows on the front (Where are those pics from...??
Take a closer look. They are pictures of the mock-ups at the shipyard office, not from the ship! At the right are pillars, the windows, and the cement block wall inside the building! All but the bottom four pictures on that link are from mock-ups of a room and balcony.

I know many have been speculating and wondering about the aft of Solstice/Equinox as frustratingly the webcam at Meyer Werft doesn't quite show it and drawings and models seem inaccurate. I emailed their PR department and asked of they could pan the webcam to the right a little and I received this image this morning:

2815062920054958397S600x600Q85.jpg

I'd say those aft balconies are pretty standard size. May be a touch larger, but not by much.

You can get a full size picture at this link and click on the menu underneath with the little magnifying glass icon.

Phil

Phil: From what I am told - the float out is scheduled for September 27th - from the ship yard to Amsterdam - I think a day ot two.

They will drop the float out passangers there.

They have turned the engines on and they operate now.

Working on pictures from the float out.

Standard Rooms don't look any bigger than Azamara either' date=' extra Sq ' seem to be in Bath...[/quote']

Important to keep in mind that looks can be deceiving as standard rooms are generally quite a bit larger on the Solstice than on Azmara ships:

Ocean view square footage on Solstice is 177 vs 143-170 on Azmara.

Inside square footage on Solstice is 183-200 vs 158 on Azmara.

Any increase in square footage is an obvious plus in my book although I must say that I have not once considered square footage at all as a factor when selecting a cruise.;)

John

Archived