Medicine requiring fridge

PhilUK73

Folks,

Can you advise what the process is for carrying medicine that needs to be stored in a fridge while cruising. This medicine is in syringes and needs injected twice a week so 4 needles will be required.

Do we need to bring a letter from the doc etc etc?

Is there somewhere to store it in the cabin or does it have to go to the onboard doctor?

Thanks,

Phil

My husband and I cruised some years ago with multiple medications that required a fridge. There is a place on your cruise personalizer where you can arrange this. At the time the ships did not have fridges, so a little portable one was brought in - but I ended up just using our own little ice chest which the cabin steward kept filled with ice.

They will also provide a sharps container.

Best,

Mia

I have an injectable medicine that I must inject twice daily, and must be kept refridgered. Just besure that you take it in the package with the prescription information and you should have no problems. You can store it as I store mine in the mini-fridg. We are just off of our cruise last week and I checked the temperture on the mini-fridg. with a temperture logger recording the temperture every 5 minutes and it was 46 degrees with a couple of times it went up to 48 degrees briefly.

When you get to your cabin request your cabin steward get you a sharps container. The steward should have one to you within a few minutes time. Chances are that on future Princess cruises you will not need to ask, the steward will ask you if you need a sharps container.

If you are flying make sure that you tell the TSA screeners that you have medicine and it is packed with ice. You will have no problem with doing that either.

Enjoy your cruise!

When you get to your cabin, open the wooden door to the cabinet where the mini-fridge is located. If the wooden door is left open the fridge interior is much colder. Sometimes it appears that the fridge door opens automatically when the wooden cabinet door opens. It can be disengaged by lifting up on the fridge door.

My wife has to give herself a daily shot of Forteo and it must be refrigerated. The first order of it came with a carrying case that included two freezable packets to keep it cool. While on the ship it is stored in the refrigerator in our cabin. A few days before we debark, we take the freezable packets to the Head Waiter in our dining room. He puts it in a freezer and I pick them up early on debarkation day. So far that has worked well.

My wife has a letter from her doctor and the drug company explaining the drug, the syringes and the need to keep it cool. We have not had any problem with airport security.

Folks,

Can you advise what the process is for carrying medicine that needs to be stored in a fridge while cruising. This medicine is in syringes and needs injected twice a week so 4 needles will be required.

Is there somewhere to store it in the cabin or does it have to go to the onboard doctor?

Very long, but our experiece is there.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13160

I don't think I covered it, but we did take paperwork from the Dr.

Folks,

Thanks,

Phil

There is a fridge in the cabin but I don't know if it will be cold enough for your needs. Your best bet is to call Princess to see what their requirements and recommendations are. I would definitely have your written prescription(s) with you so that you don't have problems going through security or customs in airports, etc.

For information on traveling with medical conditions and TSA security the best and OFFICAL information can be found on the TSA web-site.

Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1374.shtm#4

Hidden Disabilities

Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1374.shtm#4

I have traveled not only domestically but to many international locations and have never needed a letter from my doctor. I even traveled internationally the day after the August 2006 tightened security due to London air threats. At that point you could not take ice or gel packs through securuty as you can now. Just kept the precription medication in the package with the label from the drug store. If it makes you feel better to have a letter from your doctor then go for it.

As for the mini-fridg. I have never had a problem with the mini-fridg being cool enough for the medications. It might be a little warmer than you keep your refriderator at home but it should be just fine. If you are concerned you can always take a small ice chest and just ask your cabin steward to keep ice in it for you. I have done this when we cruised on Carnival and the cabin steward put new ice in it several times a day.

Archived