Medical Equipment Question - CCL

Hi everyone...

Okay I have a question I need to ask someone at Carnival regarding the usage of Medical Equipment on board, for patients using Oxygen or CPAP.

Should I call the corporate office? Anyone have any ideas about who would know about this stuff?

I know someone here knows this!

Thanks bunches in Advance

Nancy

Hi everyone...

Okay I have a question I need to ask someone at Carnival regarding the usage of Medical Equipment on board, for patients using Oxygen or CPAP.

Should I call the corporate office? Anyone have any ideas about who would know about this stuff?

I know someone here knows this!

Thanks bunches in Advance

Nancy

Contact Carnival at their regular toll-free number. Tell the agent you need to make medical arrangements. He or she will direct you to the right department.

I use a CPAP and always take it on the ship. I carry it on and have never had a problem. They seem to be more aware of medical equip. than the airlines. I suggest you bring an extension cord since U.S. style plugs are at a premium in the staterooms.

Never had a Problem taking my CPAP onborad in a Carry on either. will find out about the airlines in Nov. I hope to have a number by thne that I call tolet them know to that I will be carrying it.

I bought a European adapter as my Resperonic CPAP will take 220v. On the Disney ships behind the bed is a Euro plug. This was the case on NCL Star. I will find out about CCL in 11 days.

I've brought my CPAP and the only problem I had was plugging it is. I came prepared with an extension cord and a outlet strip, but the cord wasn't quite long enough, so it still dangled in the air a bit.

I had the taxi driver stop at a market to get the distilled water on the way from the airport to the port (this was in Tampa).

At the airport, the TSA will inspect your CPAP and swipe it to make sure it hasn't got any residues of explosives on it. Takes a little longer, but not a problem. I hand carry my CPAP and it doesn't count as a carryon.

Just returned from Conquest trip, Sunday 5/11. My wife took her CPAP and we had no problems with Carnival. She did take an extension card. She used Sam's bottled water.Make sure you place the luggae tag on the CPAP case. Will write review later of our trip.

I just returned from a cruise on Disney magic and brought my cpap with extension cord and had no problems. In fact guest services even held it for me right after I boarded before my room was ready so I wouldn't have to lug it around on deck. Just remember to empty the water container (if yours has one) before you travel with it or you will damage your machine. Also, I would not let it out of my sight if I were you so bring it as a carry on not checked luggage

For you CPAP users... if you could rent equipment (small brand new, name brands) so you did not have to take your home unit with you, no dragging it through the airport? It would be there waiting for you when you got on the ship and picked up from the ship.

Any thoughts?

Nancy

Hubby has been using CPAP for years. Just bring a longer extension cord. If you forget they have them onboard that you can rent. But, returning it the last am is a pain.

Found out from another thread that it is a federal offense to charge extra baggage charge for necessary medical equipment.

For you CPAP users... if you could rent equipment (small brand new, name brands) so you did not have to take your home unit with you, no dragging it through the airport? It would be there waiting for you when you got on the ship and picked up from the ship.

Any thoughts?

Nancy

That would be great but each person has a different requirement and the air pressure is set differently for each person plus it takes alot of time to find the mask that fits your face correctly and is comfortable so it probably wouln't work

Muumuu -- yes I posted that... It is a federal offense for them to count your CPAP as a carry on, or refuse to let you carry it on.

bethbeth -- You could bring your own mask from home, couldn't you? That way you would be certain to have the "perfect fit". Finding the right CPAP mask is like find your own best friend, isn't it? *grins*

Thanks for the input!

Nancy

bethbeth -- You could bring your own mask from home, couldn't you? That way you would be certain to have the "perfect fit". Finding the right CPAP mask is like find your own best friend, isn't it? *grins*

Thanks for the input!

Nancy

Yes you could bring your own mask and hose etc but still the machine's air pressure is set to a certain level for each person so unless you knew how to reprogram the machine I'm not sure how it would work.

great thread.............I use a cpap machine and am also confined to a wheelchair because of paraplegia.........all I done was check the special accomodations form that they emailed me to let them know I would be bringing a cpap machine and I also gave them the measurements to my wheelchair. Im sailing on the Holiday on June 2nd.

great information on the extension cord.

I took my CPAP unit last year but forgot about the extension cord. As I cannot sleep on a plane I carried it in my checked luggage which accounted for the HEAVY label each time it came out of the luggage system at the airports.

And yes, returning the extension cord at the end is a real pain. Stood in a line from 11pm to after 1am on the last night to return it and get the deposit removed from the S&S card.

Check your unit as the compliance plate will indicate if it compatable for the voltage. I found the CPAP and all the chargers for mobiles, cameras etc were labelled for 110V to 230V so as long as we had the correct adaptors everything was fine. We stayed in London, Rome and on the ship during our holiday.

I have an Autosprint unit which senses your breathing and adjusts the pressure accordingly but I have never seen them for hire, only manage to get one as a replacement unit if mine is in for service. Also pack your mask in the middle of a lot of soft luggage as they can be damaged by rough handling of luggage if they are near the outside.

David

I've brought my CPAP and the only problem I had was plugging it is. I came prepared with an extension cord and a outlet strip, but the cord wasn't quite long enough, so it still dangled in the air a bit.

I had the taxi driver stop at a market to get the distilled water on the way from the airport to the port (this was in Tampa).

At the airport, the TSA will inspect your CPAP and swipe it to make sure it hasn't got any residues of explosives on it. Takes a little longer, but not a problem. I hand carry my CPAP and it doesn't count as a carryon.

Yes, remember to bring the distilled water. I took a power strip with a long cord which we plugged the CPAP, camera & phone chargers into.

I always thought that sleep aopnea was a sentence for life but since last years cruise hoilday I have dropped my weight from 145kg to 106kg. Good diet and regular exercise (swim a mile every workday morning and many days I do a hard gym session in the afternoon also). Just got back to jogging in the last month as the reduced weight has reduced the stress injuries on my knees and ankles.

Now only use the mask one maybe two nights a week. Hope to be rid of it completely before it comes time to update or replace it.

Also needed the humidier but did not take that on the trip with us last year. Do not use distilled water as our water here is pretty good but sometimes I add a couple of drops of the aromatic oils that are used for relaxation.

David

Way to go on the weight loss David! You should probably look into having another sleep study to see if you have gotten rid of the apneas. Most people do not completely but I have seen a few. Yes CPAP makes you feel so much better, doesn't it?

Your doctor must love working with you! Terrific how you have taken over a new lease on life!

Kudos to you!

Nancy

Archived