US Summer School Vacations

FiggyWig

Summer school dates vary by region and district. In our area, the kids are out the second week of June and return the Wednesday after Labor day. Some districts finish school in late May and return the third week of August. The number of kids on Med cruises vary by cruise line, but on the mass market lines I've been on, there were a lot of kids on board. And if you cruise in August, the time when most of Europe is on holiday, you'll find even more kids. If you're looking for a lot of kids on Med cruises, stay away from the luxury lines like Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal as those lines never attract many families.

most Texas schools get out the last thurs or friday in may. however many teachers have to stay another week. last year, the state said school had to start later in august, so now we start the 3rd or 4th week, instead of the 14th or 15th which is nice. however for us, the only available time for our cruise was the first week in june, so thats what we'll take! Two-a-days (football practice) starts first week of august, and with church camp, and other camps, there is not much summer anymore!

Where I am in California in our district (where my kids go to school) their last day is June 18 and they return the Wednesday after Labor Day (this changes depending on when Labor Day is--sometimes they begin the Wednesday before Labor Day).

In the neighboring district that I teach in, we get out June 11 and return the Wednesday before Labor Day.

Here in Maryland, my kids are out second week of June and they go back the last Monday in August. We wouldn't consider a Med cruise right now (kids are 5 and 10) because the thought of those long flights with them absolutely scares me! But, when they get older, we'd probably consider it.

Here in northeast TN, schools have been out for a week. We start back to school on August 4th this year. Something else, that no one else has brought up is year round school. The city schools near us are on that schedule. They have a four week break in July.

As for children on a Med. cruise - the time that I would say the most children would be on would probably be August. You have more people in Europe and the Mid East on holiday then. Plus, you have families from the US vacationing before schools start again.

Another Floridian here! And, our kids get out in two weeks. I wouldn't say that the Med is any more popular than a normal Caribbean or Alaskan cruise. But--we are taking a Med extended family cruise in July. YES--it's the hottest time of the season, but we had to plan it around several family members' work schedules.

Kids back in school in late August.

Yahoo!

CeleBrat

I just wanted to say hi, I am your neighbor :)

Here in northeast TN, schools have been out for a week. We start back to school on August 4th this year. Something else, that no one else has brought up is year round school. The city schools near us are on that schedule. They have a four week break in July.

As for children on a Med. cruise - the time that I would say the most children would be on would probably be August. You have more people in Europe and the Mid East on holiday then. Plus, you have families from the US vacationing before schools start again.

Generally in the upper Midwestern states (MN, IL, WI) school runs through the first or second week in June -- most all districts are out no later than the 13th this year and the few that are that late are due to make-up snow days). In WI school cannot begin until the day after Labor day (or Sept 1, whichever comes first) - so most schools start the day after Labor day. In IL and MN who do not have that law, many schools start late in August.

We are looking at an eastern Med cruise for this fall with our 12YO.

In Central Florida the last day of school is June 4th. The first day of school is August 18th. As for kids in the med, I agree with what another poster had said. It depends on the cruise line.

Actually in Lake county the last day of school is June 6th and we go back on 8/18. Until this year we got out in May but, a law was passed that school must start no earlier than 2 weeks before Labor Day. I liked the old dates.

Actually in Lake county the last day of school is June 6th and we go back on 8/18. Until this year we got out in May but, a law was passed that school must start no earlier than 2 weeks before Labor Day. I liked the old dates.

Oh, I'm sorry. Orange County gets out on June 4th. I like the old dates better too. It's a lot cheaper to get a cruise the end of May then anytime in June.

Oh, I'm sorry. Orange County gets out on June 4th. I like the old dates better too. It's a lot cheaper to get a cruise the end of May then anytime in June.
I liked the old dates better too. I know next week, the 3rd and 4th, are half days for high school. So much controversy in the Orange County School system right now. Thank goodness I have only one left and he has only two more years. Maybe then I will be able to cruise whenever. We already planned ours for July, thinking he would go to summer school (always does) and would get it in before two-a-days would start for football. Oh well.

I liked the old dates better too. I know next week, the 3rd and 4th, are half days for high school. So much controversy in the Orange County School system right now. Thank goodness I have only one left and he has only two more years. Maybe then I will be able to cruise whenever. We already planned ours for July, thinking he would go to summer school (always does) and would get it in before two-a-days would start for football. Oh well.

My 2 oldest are being rezoned to a new middle school next year and I said to them "at least you don't live in Orange county" lol. That would be one early morning for them!

My 2 oldest are being rezoned to a new middle school next year and I said to them "at least you don't live in Orange county" lol. That would be one early morning for them!

I'm kind of mixed on the changing of times for the middle and high school kids. As a mother with a child who will be going to middle school in a couple of years, I kind of like the idea of her going early in the morning. (That way, I don't have to worry if she misses the bus or something because it's around the same time I go to work, so I can take her.) On the other hand I remember being a high school kid in Orange County. I can't imagine doing after school activities until 6:00 or later at night! Ugh! And, what about those kids who want to work after school? I honestly don't know how they are going to save money this way. It's all political.

I'm an elementary school teacher. I wish we got half days too! :) At least we still get out an hour early on Wednesday.

Is your son still going to take summer classes? I had heard that they cut a lot classes to help with the budget.

I'm glad that you're still able to cruise in July. I probably will have to do the same when my girls get to high school.

I'm an elementary school teacher. I wish we got half days too! :) At least we still get out an hour early on Wednesday.

Is your son still going to take summer classes? I had heard that they cut a lot classes to help with the budget.

I'm glad that you're still able to cruise in July. I probably will have to do the same when my girls get to high school.

You are right, it is political. Yes, he is taking a class on line through the virtual school, just his last PE credit. They did cut classes, only now for kids that need them to pass a class. He is in the Law Magnet. After school activities will be hard. They are still talking about doing football after school and he plays varsity, so won't get home until 7:30ish. We were 2nd in state this year.

You are right, it is political. Yes, he is taking a class on line through the virtual school, just his last PE credit. They did cut classes, only now for kids that need them to pass a class. He is in the Law Magnet. After school activities will be hard. They are still talking about doing football after school and he plays varsity, so won't get home until 7:30ish. We were 2nd in state this year.

Wow, that's great that you got 2nd in state! I had assumed that sports would have practice in the morning because it's so much cooler. But, I guess if they do that the kids won't get as much sleep. (That's supposedly one of the reasons they switched the schedule.)

Three days of school left for Orange County. I am excited for my kid, plus it means my cruise is closer. Yeah!

I'm excited for my kids as well. I'm also excited because my cruise is closer. But, most of all I'm excited because I'm a teacher! :D I'm definitely looking forward to the break!

Archived