Cruise Insurance

Sky Sweet

I realize that most people buy travel insurance for their expensive cruises that are in another continent.

Do you also buy insurance for short cruises from a nearby port that only cost a few thousand dollars, when the ship is never far away from land?

This is based on the assumption that your health insurance policy covers medical emergencies in any part of the world.

If there's a medical emergency where you'd need air evacuation, you really need insurance for that. When my mom fell on Millennium the 1/2 hour flight from Nassau to FLL was $9000. So I don't think the length of the cruise or distance makes a big difference when air evacuation is concerned.

If there's a medical emergency where you'd need air evacuation, you really need insurance for that. When my mom fell on Millennium the 1/2 hour flight from Nassau to FLL was $9000. So I don't think the length of the cruise or distance makes a big difference when air evacuation is concerned.

Hi Kitty9 :)

That is a very good point. Even though we have world wide emergency medical coverage, our insurance company told me that coverage to be air lifted depends on a variety of factors and would be subject to review.

Maybe it is worth it to buy travel insurance for the possibility of an air evacuation even if I don't need it for any other reason.

Once we were on a free cruise (due to ship breakdown) and we only had the health coverage on our insurance. No use in covering a free cruise. We also got our money refunded for the cancelled cruise.

My Dad was very close to death 3 days before our cruise we had to cancel 3 days before our cruise so we got all our money back that we paid for the cruise even though he lived a few months longer it pays to have the insurance.

We drive to Port Canaveral in 20 minutes, but we still always buy insurance for anything over 3 days. I am concerned about having to come home in the event of an emergency (our parents are elderly). And since we like to sail during hurricane season, I want to know that I can cancel if there is devastating damage to our home prior to the trip. I don't think it would be fun to sail away while our roof is missing :eek:

=Sky Sweet;14661962]I realize that most people buy travel insurance for their expensive cruises that are in another continent.

Do you also buy insurance for short cruises from a nearby port that only cost a few thousand dollars, when the ship is never far away from land?

************************************************************************************************************************

The only time you would not buy travel medical insurance is if you had won the Lottery and are independently wealthy and can afford any emergency that arises!

For some of us, "a few thousand dollars" is a significant amount. We have gotten insurance for all of our cruises. Last time, I purchased through Insuremytrip and got a very good rate for the specific coverage we wanted.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

I realize that most people buy travel insurance for their expensive cruises that are in another continent.

This is based on the assumption that your health insurance policy covers medical emergencies in any part of the world.

I was going to ask this exact question as I am deciding if we need med evac for a 2 day cruise to Nowhere from NY. We have insurance we can use anywhere but we do not have med evac. It is unclear if in an emergency the ship would just pull back into the US or med evac by helicopter?

Btw, I am not concerned about the risk of loosing the cost of the cruise, or I would not be asking this question. We do not purchase insurance for land vacations in the US.

I also agree with many of you, what happen in case of emergency or baggage problem, or something. I thing it´s better to buy it and more with Celebrity , that is name Celebrity CruiseCare and it´s cheap, well according to your cabin it´s the price.;)

With pre existing medical conditions you know could flare up and cause a last minute cancellation or being forced to leave the ship early for treatment YES

Word of warning -- most policies have 60 or120 day grace time before they are in effect and if you read the T & C's if the doctor changes the medicine for a pre- existing condition you may not be covered.

I had to cancel a cruise last Nov (kidney cancer & removal of kidney) went to the one of the three Doctors, who were looking for problem, 55 days into the 60 day period -- Sorry, you were not covered yet!

Celebrity, at least give me 75% of deposit in a one year credit.

Ray

I also agree with many of you, what happen in case of emergency or baggage problem, or something. I thing it´s better to buy it and more with Celebrity , that is name Celebrity CruiseCare and it´s cheap, well according to your cabin it´s the price.;)
If you need pre existing coverage, X insurance doesn't cover cancellation for them.

I recently purchased cruises for parents as gifts. FIL is taking medications for problems. Step mother is on meds for a condtion. Step father has a condition. I purchased insurance just to cover my investment. They benefit with the extra coverage. Why risk throwing $2000 away, when a $125 investment in insurance makes sure I'm covered. In the event, there are problems on the ship, my parents are covered.

I was going to ask this exact question as I am deciding if we need med evac for a 2 day cruise to Nowhere from NY. We have insurance we can use anywhere but we do not have med evac. It is unclear if in an emergency the ship would just pull back into the US or med evac by helicopter?

Btw, I am not concerned about the risk of loosing the cost of the cruise, or I would not be asking this question. We do not purchase insurance for land vacations in the US.

Hi Jade13 :)

We never purchase insurance for land vacations either.

My biggest concern is an unexpected catastrophic expense, so if our health insurance didn't include emergency medical coverage world wide, I wouldn't have even asked the question.

For our Mediterranean Cruise to the Greek Isles next month the thought of not having it never crossed my mind because it is a long cruise that is far away from home.

On the other hand, our cruise in August is just for five nights (six days) from New York to Canada and will never be far away from land, so I also wonder if an air evacuation would ever be considered on a cruise of that nature.

However, even though we probably wouldn't be air lifted, the possibility still exists and for that reason alone I will probably buy insurance.

I realize that most people buy travel insurance for their expensive cruises...

Do you also buy insurance for short cruises from a nearby port that only cost a few thousand dollars......

An inexpensive cruise without insurance can end up costing a lot more than an expensive cruise with insurance. I'm sure glad we had it for our 'inexpensive short cruise' when hurricane Wilma hit us when we were in Ft. Lauderdale waiting to board Enchantment Of The Seas. We ended up (days later) seeing her sail out of Miami empty, on it's way to help in New Orleans. We watched her from the deck of Majesty, before leaving on a shortened 2 night cruise. Insurance covered everything, and we ended up $ ahead.

I always buy insurance. Not just for medical reasons, but as Denb mentioned weather can mess you up also.

It also covers items that are damaged. My suitcase run over by the forklift was covered.

It isn't that expensive and well worth the peace of mind.

Hi Sky Sweet - Check this out http://www.medjetassistance.com/. We discovered it last year and have slept better ever since. It is surprisingly reasonable for a 1 year plan - less than $400 for both of us, I think. It's only evacuation insurance but applies worldwide. So, if you ever had a situation when you wanted your own close-to-home hospital, they would transport you. If you already have medical insurance, this might be a good addition.

Hi Sky Sweet - Check this out http://www.medjetassistance.com/. We discovered it last year and have slept better ever since. It is surprisingly reasonable for a 1 year plan - less than $400 for both of us, I think. It's only evacuation insurance but applies worldwide. So, if you ever had a situation when you wanted your own close-to-home hospital, they would transport you. If you already have medical insurance, this might be a good addition.

Hi sealover :)

Thanks for posting the link for medjet. I plan to look into this.

You're very welcome. I just put my MedjetAssist card in my passport as we leave Monday for a 3 week trip to Asia including the wild territory of the Northern Triangle of Thailand. When I'm up there trekking on an elephant, I know I'll feel better knowing that if anything happens they will fly me home to Pasadena! Their 800 number is 800-527-7478 - we got an AARP rate. Good luck.

We always buy cruise insurance (or insurance for other types of trips and tours, too).

In 2001, my husband had to have emergency bypass surgery on the exact day that we and our daughter and her husband had planned to leave on a three week trip to Spain. We got all our money back.

We do not buy the insurance through the cruise or tour company. Our TA who has been in the business for years has a better insurance with better coverage. If the cruise or tour company goes bankrupt, their insurance might not pay off.

Although Celebrity Cruise Care is convient to add-on to your booking, you should check the limits that you are paying for..in Particular Medical Evacuation. They only offer $25000 coverage and if you really need this coverage it, that limit would be insufficient by alot. Most policies for medical evacuation cover you for about $500,000....and I get insurance for something I cannot afford..not an inconvience like lost baggage

Archived