List your favorite "cruise" music?

llmoyer123

Another vote for Red, Red, Wine and Buffett. I found some good CDs by various artists at Best Buy last spring. Nothing like good Caribbean music to listen to while packing....but what about a New England cruise? Any suggestions?

Taterules - Actually I think the song you're thinking of is Guantanamera. "One Ton Tomato" threw us for awhile but we figured it out. :) Of course, from now on when I hear this song I'll immediately want to sing "One Ton Tomato" instead of the real lyric. :D

Any Buffett, especially his version of Southern Cross; Club Trini, Buffett's back-up band; Ralph MacDonald; Pantasia, our local high school's steel drum band (I can get you their email address if you're interestedm- they even have a Christmas album out!); Island Tyme; I could go on and on!

Full CDs:

Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo`ole - "Facing Future" (Hawaiian)

Matato'a - "Tama'i" (Polynesian/Rapa Nui)

Bob Marley - "Legends" (Reggae)

English Beat - "Beat This" (Reggae/Rock)

English Beat - Special Beat Service" (Reggae/Rock)

UB40 - "Labour of Love" (Reggae/Alternative)

Master & Commander: Far Side of the World - "Soundtrack" (Classical/Period)

Wasis Diop - "Toxu" (African/French Rock/Traditional)

Pogues - "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" (Traditional Irish/Rock)

Waterboys - "Fisherman's Blues" (Traditional Irish/Folk)

That should hold most people over! An eclectic mix, and I certainly bring and listen to other music as well (I am a broad music lover, and listen to everything from Louis Prima to Lyle Lovett to the Clash to Evanescence to Puccini).

But for a cruise, I either want music from islands as they are usually infused with happy, light sounds and clear regional rythms that keep me in the vacation head, music about ships or travel or immigration to connect with my heritage, or fun modern rock or pop that is infused with the reggae or tropical sound.

Wasis Diop's African/European tinged rock and ballad music is so lush and textured, and exotic with his African roots that he just puts me in a vacation mood...and his voice is so deep and pure that most women just melt when they hear it, so it can be great mood music too.

The Master and Commander soundtrack is gorgeous classical music with a very nautical and classic English naval feel, with violin virtuoso Richard Tognini. Bob Marley...goes without saying. English beat and UB40 both provide excellent reggae/dancehall arrangements combined with English rock/alternative beats and instruments to make excellent, upbeat and great paced music on an island theme.

The Pogues and the Waterboys are both bands with brilliant traditional irish instrumentation and arrangement, but both modernized and occasionally mixed in with modern rock to provide a lush upbeat folk irish sound. Since many irish themes have to do with hardships which lead to the mass immigration to America, there are lots of ship themes and songs throughout, and since my own families immigrated to the states it makes getting on a ship very meaningful and representative of my heritage.

Iz and Matato'a are polynesian/hawaiian music, which are fantastic on a ship. Even if the cruise is in the caribbean, the upbeat light sounds of polynesian music go perfectly with the sea air and the warm sun. Matato'a plays modern traditional polynesian music and is quite enjoyable...Iz Kamakawiwo`ole had possibly the most beautiful male voice and combined very traditional hawaiian music and occasional folk/rock (if you've never heard of him, you still may have heard his voice: if you've ever heard the near-falsetto ukelele version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in commercials or movies...that's Iz.

if you've ever heard the near-falsetto ukelele version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in commercials or movies...that's Iz.

Heard often on Connie last winter, very fitting. Later was on a flight to Europe watching that Adam Sandler movie and "over the rainbow" came on... I instantly found that peaceful happy place. :)

Also on cruises, just for fun, after having had a few drinks you can sing the lyrics to "Margaritaville" to the tune of "Brown Eyed Girl." Don't know the reason / stayed here all season...

Archived