Sack Lunch

Coco Creek

Does anyone know if Celebrity will be prepare a sack lunch upon request for guests taking excursions that start in the morning and end late in the afternoon?

I have seen it happen but I believe it has to do with the port you are in. In many cases, you are not permitted to bring food off the ship due to local laws. More likely that they won't.

They used to allow this...but so many of the ports have become extremely strict, as to what they'll allow into their country.

When we were in New Zealand, each port had security dogs to sniff and check our bags...leaving the ship, and returning to the ship.

I am thinking about Alaska where we will dog sledding and chasing bears through the woods and stuff like that.

Sorry no food is allowed off the ship in Alaska.

Okay, I can see a sack lunch in that case. No problems with takng food off the ship, either, I don't think. If you're on shore excursions that extend over the lunch hour a light lunch will probably be provided. Be sure to eat at the Red Dog saloon in Juneau, though. Great food and fun atmosphere.

If you are on an excursion where lunch is provided as a sack lunch, they are often prepackaged foods. The real argument about allowing you to take "real" food is that your food waste could be a key contributer to spreading crop damage or other diseases. The U.S. is rather strict about this (most cruises end with a "last chance" bin to throw food in; if you don't, you are liable for stiff fines) and so I think as a courtesy when visiting other area, folks should observe their laws with as much compliance. Of course, this cruise is to Alaska but no doubt it will have commenced from or will have visited Canada.

This sounds like a problem we had in Alaska. Either two excursions in a day with the ship being much too far away time wise to return there to eat, and still do the afternoon excursion OR a very long excursion that does not include food. The first example is where, if time is REALLY pressing, you might want to have brought some granola bars from home or some packaged cereal off the ship. The second makes it very tempting to take something off the ship.

In Juneau we did the dog sledding on a glacier, but it was delayed by two hours due to weather. We never knew if we were going to get to go or not until the agent radioed the dog camp for advice. They said to come on. The people who'd been booked for the original 9:30 flight had mostly canceled, so we were combined with another group that was scheduled for 11 and were still waiting. The ship was docked at the farthest pier and would not have been easy to go back and forth (there was a shuttle bus provided by Summit but we did not know it!! Since there are no announcements, if you missed a fact, you missed the bus!) and keep checking with the clerks periodically after walking around shopping. Fortunately I still had some packaged peanuts I'd brought from home, so we didn't starve.

They were kind enough to drop us at our second, privately booked tour, which was Glacier Gardens (apparently they were not supposed to do this. We tipped the driver and he announced to the other passengers: "we will not be returning directly to the ship as stated in your itinerary. Instead we are going to show you some more of Juneau you did not see on the way to the heliport. If anyone haS any objections or time constraints we will not make the deviation." The other pax thought they were getting a nice freebee. ha. The only food sold there was vending machine stuff and sodas. We took a taxi back just in time for dinner. We were famished.

In Skagway our tour to the Yukon began at around 10:30 I think, and ended maybe at 6 p.m. We ordered room service and had sandwiches and chips/pickle at 10, even though we weren't particularly hungry :) and I cheated. I took the chips in a zip lock bag for a snack on the long ride home. I made sure I put the empty ziplock in my purse so I would not despoil the countryside! If there were any dogs sniffing I didn't see them, or they did not detect my potato chips. I was sorely tempted to take the whole sandwich but did not.

You decide.

and a third instance is when a long tour provides you with a sack lunch. I assume this was from the ship because it was a ship sponsored tour, but it didn't have to be. They were in coolers in zip lock bags: tasteless sandwiches and cold sodas while going thru the Panama Canal.

Unless you are hypoglycemic, you'll survive. If you are hypoglycemic, take a snack with you.

On my first cruise way back when...I had no idea you could not take food off of the ship, my friends and I all filled our beach bag with all sorts of stuff to have while at a beach in the bahamas, we made sandwiches, took muffins and fruit. ooops! I know better now!

Archived