Strange pants stretching problem

I bought a pair of cords from NY&Co. The waist band was a tiny bit on the loose side, but I always by my pants a little loose. They were too long, so I took them to be tailored. When I wore them, the waist was so loose that they were falling off and I had to cinch them with a belt. Even then, they were all bunched up under the belt. So I washed and dried them (trying to shrink them!) and they fit. The next time I went to wear them, they were super lose again (I hadn't washed them again).

If I wash and dry them I can wear them once, but they get so stretched out that I have to wash and dry them every time. I usually wear my pants a couple times before washing them and I almost never put my pants through the dryer.

Has anyone ever had pants so stretchy like this? I'm thinking the fabric may have been cut against the wrong grain or something. Should I try to get my $$ back. It is really annoying!

I can understand your frustration, but cords stretch when you wear them. I have a pair that do the same thing, and it isn't a flaw, just the nature of the pants. The only way to "tighten" them back up is to wash and dry them, but they will stretch out again. I love mine, so I just put up with it.

There are 'regular' cords and then you can get cords made out of a stretchy cordoroy. I bet there is some lycra or spandex mentioned on the tag.

(don't know if you can return if they've been tailored.)

I have had a ton of cords and they have never stretched (even when I wished they had!;)), so I guess they have always been "regular". I really thought I was losing my mind when I first put them on after the tailor. At least it isn't just me!!!

The belt is the best invention ever! I used to HATE wearing anything with spandex, as it would stretch and slide after about 1 hour! But, I swear, a belt makes all the difference! The trick is finding a belt where the buckle doesn't protrude too much (makes your tummy look "bulging"!)

I just bought a pair of red linen/rayon/spandex (58/40/2) pants, from H&M, that fit me perfectly in the store. I wore them to work, and by the end of the day the rear end was stretched enough that I didn't want to wear them again. Washed and ironed them, and voila, they look great again. If I'd known that I'd only get a days' wear out of them, before having to wash them again, I don't think I would have bought them. I think I read somewhere that the most you should have in pants is 1 or 2% spandex, otherwise the areas that get stretched (seat, knees, etc.) will tend to sag after wearing. I thought with 2% I'd be okay...but apparently even that is too much for my derriere. :(

Archived