Flagship Hotel in Galveston (MERGED THREADS)

If the Econolodge is the one on U Street, we've stayed there. It was very clean, good location, quiet, but no frills (typical Econo). DH loved that they had make your own Belgian waffles. Would stay there again if the price was right. Our stay was in February of 2006, so I don't know anything more recent. They do have a lot where you can park your car during the cruise for free, and it's pretty close to the office if I remember correctly (don't hold me to the location, but I do know it was free).

The Flagship was a great idea in theory. However, they did not use mold-resistant materials to build with (some not available when built) so there is an ever-present musty smell. It does have spectacular views, but I wouldn't stay there.

Food-wise, there is a Landry's for seafood, Saltgrass for steaks, a Rainforest Cafe for novelty, and Golden Coral for buffet. For inexpensive cajun seafood, we like Benno's and go there every time we are in Galveston. For Mexican food, Salsa's is hard to beat. Mario's has really good Italian (you didn't mention that, but I threw it in for free!).

Haven't you posted this question before about the Flagship Hotel? Seems to me you are having second thoughts about staying there....I would take the advice of the majority of CC posters, they are VERY knowledgeable:) and wise......

I have stayed there several times in the past couple of years and it is old and worn but you can't beat the view. They serve a continental [sp ] breakfast- cereal, toast, muffins, donuts and th usual morning beverages. It is ALMOST the cheapest place in town. If you pull out of the flagship parking lot and head straight down 25th street you will end up smack dab in the middle of the strand area { shops,restaurants and art galleries ]. As for restaurants in the area there is everything you could want within walking distance and you won't have to give up your parking spot. One of my favorite restaurants is The Spot it is across the street and down a few blocks maybe 37th street no farther. There are some upscale seafood restaurnts in the area right on seawall. You can't beat the location. My favorite hotel is the Commodore, not fancy at all but very nice and right across the street from the beach - they serve compimentry muffins ,cookies and coffee 24 hours. My advice to you would be, go to the Galveston.com web site and check out the reviews. They won't be glowing, I have read them all and stayed there inspite of what I read. My last stay was this past Memorial weekend, the elevators were slow and they couldn't keep ice in the ice machine but the hotel was packed With people. Check out the Commodore I think you would really like it. If you check out the Galveston Webcams you will see the Comodore. The Commodore is a much smaller hotel and books fast. I hope this helped.

Julie

Stayed at Flagship and it was a great disappointment. Very old, but have stayed at older ones. Did not like the fact that something (big wad of ????)feel out of the ceiling when my husband was showering. Elevators were slow and ricketly, not sure if they would make it to the floor. Breakfast was 2 boxes of donuts sitting on a table in the lobby. No coffee or juice. The balcony was nice, that is the only postive thin I can say. Go to galveston.co or tripadvisor.com to see hotel reviews.

I think the general consensus is the same as when you asked about the Flagship on May 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM.

It's cheap, the view is great, the location fairly convenient, and the parking is free (NOT transport to the port), but the rooms are basically great big bags of suck....and I'm not that finicky.

I truly wish someone could/would take over and remodel the hotel to the standard it's location deserves, it would be a premo place to stay. Alas, that doesn't seem to be the case in the forseeable future.

I stayed there in Feb 2006 and again in Jan 2007 (I would not have stayed there the 2nd time if not for being with a group). We had heard that the hotel was to be refurbished between '06 and '07 but I couldn't tell it. I am not aware of any remodeling since Jan '07 when we stayed there.

My wife said the only way she would stay there again would be if we took our camping gear to use in the room....and she's not that finicky.

We are going on the Conquest in Feb '09 and are staying at the Fairfield Inn in Texas City this time.

If you are wanting someone to assure you that the place is a 2 - 4 star facility I don't think it is going to happen if they are honest.

We stayed there pre-cruise in 2004 and it was OK then. Not fancy by any means. I have stayed in better hotels. Hell I have stayed in worse hotels. A lot worse. We stayed there because they had a package deal where you stay the night and park there for the week for free. It was our first cruise and we had heard the parking at the cruise terminal was pricey.

The second year I don't recall where we stayed. It was a resort though. And we parked at EZ Cruise.

In the 70's the Flagship was GREAT! The kids threw crackers off the balcony to watch the seagulls catch them mid-air--every time! We could see big fish (and sharks) swimming around the pilings under the hotel. Its position out over the water was the best in Galveston. Sadly, when we stayed there sans kids in 2004, it was rundown and depressing. As others have said, best pass on it until it has a major renovation.

The Galvez Hotel is the Grand Dame of Galveston hotels--still elegant after all these years, but pricey.

The Flagship Hotel has to be over 44 years old because I was there when I was 13 years old and I'm now 57! I'm not old but it sure sounds like that Hotel has seen better days! We're staying at the Holiday Inn on the Beach. :)

The Flagship Hotel has to be over 44 years old because I was there when I was 13 years old and I'm now 57!...

The city built the 220-room Flagship Hotel in 1963 on the old Pleasure Pier. I think the Pleasure Pier was built in the late 1930s. Building the Flagship Hotel was considered a morale-building boost to civic pride after the destruction by Hurricane Carla in 1961.

Back in the middle 1960s, the Flagship Hotel was the "honeymoon Mecca" for us, the then 20-something locals. If we could not afford a fancy-schmancy expensive honeymoon to somewhere far away, the Flagship with such a unique location was "it" for us.

It is too bad the glory of the Flagship has faded away... just as some of those marriages. I speak from experience.

Kat

Tillman [sp] the man who owns the hotel along with lots of other properties in Galveston should renovate that hotel, he is sitting on a gold mine. There has been talk that he was considering the renovation, but so far nothing.

Julie

Per the following 7/21/06 article, he planned to invest $15 million in renovations to begin in 2009:

Landry's could take Flagship helm in 2009

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=79466dc191d1420a5a34e4dcb4075131

However, per the following 6/17/08 article, he may first spend a few years paying down the debt of taking Landry's Restaurants Inc. private if the stockholders agree:

Landry’s deal to cost Fertitta $300M

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=da207cfc6170778f

Kat

Still hope to get someone to post who has stayed at either the Flagship Hotel or the Econolodge Galveston but the tips on dinner are great. I think we will have to try all of them. We are staying in Galveston the night before the cruise and then staying two days after the cruise to go deep sea fishing. We are really looking forward to it all. Lots of time to try those restaurants.

Flagship used to be great but it is getting old and

rundown.There are a lot of better places to stay.

I was down there earlier this year and was dissapointed.

• 1 month later...
Tillman [sp] the man who owns the hotel along with lots of other properties in Galveston should renovate that hotel, he is sitting on a gold mine. There has been talk that he was considering the renovation, but so far nothing.

Julie

Tillman owns the property BUT does not have contract to operate the hotel YET. The present operator entered into operations contract with city prior to Tillman buying the property. Time on operations contract will run out with present operator.

Before I moved here, the Flagship was my place of choice to spend the night. YES, it smells funny. YES, the elevators are skerry...But please tell me where else in the USA that you can spend the night in a hotel, built on piers over the water? If you want fancy-go to the San Luis, The Tremont, or Galvez. If you want clean and cheap, try one of the chain motels. If you are tolerant of inconvieniance (Odd smells and other stuff), and want a truely different experiance, go to the Flagship. The hotel is located on the beach and is adjacent to the Duck tour, and the Trolley into town. When I stayed there, I spent most of my time out on the balcony, feeding the seagulls.

I stayed at the Flagship probably 12 years ago. Old, worn, & the balcony was kind of scary. But the view was unbeatable. Even had young surfer dudes down below. :p

Word of warning- Don't park your car in the lot near the hotel balconies. Exactly 1/2 my car was covered (right down the middle) in seagull crap after leaving it there for 1 day.

Oh 1 more thing. One of their towels ended up with my stuff and I was charged an outrageous amount.:(

Last time I saw it, it was awful! Mildew smell throughout. And it is the farthest thing from clean! We live in Houston and go to Galveston frequently. It is a great property - if someone would spend the money to gut it and start over. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

caryn

Archived