DoCosta do a Toga night?

AmoMondo

I read somewhere that towards the end of a cruise they do a Toga night (ship supplies them) Is this true? If it is can it be avoided by going to the a la carte restaurant? (My idea of dressing up is wearing an evening gown not wandering about dressed in a sheet!)

Thanks

I read somewhere that towards the end of a cruise they do a Toga night (ship supplies them) Is this true? If it is can it be avoided by going to the a la carte restaurant? (My idea of dressing up is wearing an evening gown not wandering about dressed in a sheet!)

Thanks

OK info about Toga nights:

1. Only happens on Caribbean and TA cruises, in Caribbean on the last night and TA towards the end of the cruise. Never on a European cruise.

2. Costa supplies bed sheets and instructions how to fold it and wear to as a Toga. Many passengers bring their own Toga with them.

3. The actual Toga party takes place in the threatre not in the restaurants. But some/many wear the Toga costume to dinner. BUT it is entirely voluntary to wear or not to wear the Toga.

4. You can also attend the Toga party in "ordinary" clothes i.e. evening gown / tuxedo, Toga sheet is not compulsary.

5. Great fun to attend.

Ron

Thanks Ron for such a full explanation. I'm considering a winter cruise nin the canaries so looks like I'm off the hook on this one. I can understand that a lot of people would fine this great fun. Not so sure I'm one of them as I'm a bit too reserved/traditional - not sure if that comes from being a Scot or years of being a Banker (probably both!)

Anyway thanks again

Thanks Ron for such a full explanation. I'm considering a winter cruise nin the canaries so looks like I'm off the hook on this one. I can understand that a lot of people would fine this great fun. Not so sure I'm one of them as I'm a bit too reserved/traditional - not sure if that comes from being a Scot or years of being a Banker (probably both!)

Anyway thanks again

I don't think you can get more traditional as wearing a Roman Toga (maybe it is an ancient relation to the kilt) and after a couple of the daily special cocktails who is reserved. :D

Ron

Toga night was the best fun I've had on a ship. Don't knock it till you've tried it!

Some of us turned our 'sheet' into evening wear.........by adding a few accessories....

I've included my picture to give you an idea but I was far from the best dressed.

Picture didn't attach, will try again....(edit)

Hope this works

Yes I agree that it certainly looks like evening wear. Guess I've just go too many bad memories of fancy dress party disasters when i was a kid. Then again I'm not that creative either (that definitely comes form being a Banker - if you have any to start with they definitely drum it out of you!

Still if they have one on the cruise I'm on, I'll give it a go - I'll just make sure I have plenty B52s first to get me in the mood!

in almost 20years of sailing i've never seen a toga party, these are for american passenger usually. we don't do it at all. many times instead they do the carnival party and u can choose if u want to wear a fancy suit or prepare one with crape paper on the ship. someone carries from home wonderful and luxury fancy suites middle ages or renaissance style

We too had reservations about wearing a toga, but were glad we did!Some did and some didn't dress, but the best thing about toga night was the show at the theatre! Don't miss it...we almost did! It was the last night and we were so tired and had to finish packing and get up early, but thought we'd check it out, if it was lame we could always leave. That was the best twist to a talent show we have ever seen...it was GREAT!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok folks - let us consider just where the term 'Toga Party' came from...a late 1970's/or beginning 1980's film - "Animal House." It certainly is not a European thing, in fact odd theme parties/dinners are relatively 'foreign' to them generally...as a college/university student, way back then, we students did briefly introduce toga parties (in Lucca) at the place the majority of us were staying during summer art studies in Italy...because the film had just come out, I'm sure other university study groups did likewise.

Of course, with DVDs - the film is still known here.

The gimmick seems to be something Costa came up with for Caribbean cruises to attract USA customers (or costumers!). I doubt there will be any planned for the European cruises - unless USA clients let them know it is a necessity.

Ok, the toga party is not a college toga party. Passengers just wear togas to the passenger talent show. It is not a crazy drinking party.

Togas are a tradional dress of the free roman citizens or the wealthy. The show theme is a comical Caesar's court. The togas were very appropriate and fun. No one is forced to wear then nor looked down upon for not. Those who dress up their plain togas get lots of praise as they walk through the ship.

In fact, you could dress up for different themes during the week. They have:

Caribbean Night- floral shirt

Italian Night- green, red, and white

Roman Night- toga

With the two formal nights that leaves two other themes that I can't remember.

OH yeah, this is for Caribbean sailings from the US. I believe they do this to follow along with other mainstream line.

Ok folks - let us consider just where the term 'Toga Party' came from...a late 1970's/or beginning 1980's film - "Animal House." It certainly is not a European thing, in fact odd theme parties/dinners are relatively 'foreign' to them generally...as a college/university student, way back then, we students did briefly introduce toga parties (in Lucca) at the place the majority of us were staying during summer art studies in Italy...because the film had just come out, I'm sure other university study groups did likewise.

Of course, with DVDs - the film is still known here.

The gimmick seems to be something Costa came up with for Caribbean cruises to attract USA customers (or costumers!). I doubt there will be any planned for the European cruises - unless USA clients let them know it is a necessity.

All together now... "Toga! Toga! Toga!" :D

And, as the rep at Costa reminded us when booking our room, since toga night is the last night on board, folks have to remember to leave out a set of regular clothes when putting their luggage outside their door that evening. Evidently more than one passenger has ended up disembarking the ship the next morning wearing their toga. :eek:

We were also concerned about toga night but decided to participate and were glad we did! One of our favorite memories was getting on the elevator to go to the dining room with the elevator filled with toga wearing passengers and when the door opened a little girl getting in with her mom started giggling and talking to her in a language we didn't understand, but the message was very much understood that she didn't know why all these grown-ups were dressed so funny! It really was fun, and one of our tablemates was a very conservative professor from England who particpated. We had spent most of the week talking about the differances between the States and England--they really didn't understand the concepts of college football, tailgating and how Margarittaville in Grand Turk was so popular! Really enjoyed our time with them! On our cruise I would estimate that about 60-70% participated in Toga night, but some did not and that okay too!

Archived