Questions re: shuttle to Wonder Lake

rebburke

I went online to reserve the shuttle to Wonder Lake and there were so many different options. Is it better to go early in the morning? We have overnight accomodations in Healy the night before and the night after so we can catch the shuttle early morning or late morning.

IMO early is better, simply because the trip is a long one and make for a long day. Early also allows you more time to get off the bus and hike / walk for a bit. People will say you see more wildlife early too...

I've heard it's best to have a seat on the left. We're planning (Especially if we have a seat on left) on riding all the way to Wonder lake and then to make our hiking and extended stays on the way back. Is this a good plan or does it really matter? Thanks!

I've heard it's best to have a seat on the left. We're planning (Especially if we have a seat on left) on riding all the way to Wonder lake and then to make our hiking and extended stays on the way back. Is this a good plan or does it really matter? Thanks!

Ideally, riding on the left on the way to Wonder Lake is optimal. I'm not sure I'd let having a left side seat dictate when I went hiking, but that just depends on personal preference and opportunities along the way.

I've heard it's best to have a seat on the left.

I'm sure this has been posted, but I can't find it. When people say to try to get a seat on the left, is that your left as you board the bus and walk down the aisles, or is it your left when you are sitting? (same side as the driver)

Thanks,

Mona

... We're planning ... on riding all the way to Wonder lake and then to make our hiking and extended stays on the way back. Is this a good plan or does it really matter? Thanks!

I can't speak from experience, but yes, I think this is a good plan, because it will probably be easier to get a seat on a bus heading back toward the park entrance. If you get off before your farthest stop, you might have a harder time getting a seat on a bus going in the direction that will let you continue on into the park.

I'm sure this has been posted, but I can't find it. When people say to try to get a seat on the left, is that your left as you board the bus and walk down the aisles, or is it your left when you are sitting? (same side as the driver)

Thanks,

Mona

Left when you are sitting. In other words, on the driver's side.

IMO no, not really. I would avoid seats with the wheel well though.

Good advice!! I have one other question. How far in advance do people start lining up prior to the shuttle departing. We're on the first shuttle at 6:15 AM (there isn't a 5:30 shuttle the day we're going).

Thanks,

Good advice!! I have one other question. How far in advance do people start lining up prior to the shuttle departing. We're on the first shuttle at 6:15 AM (there isn't a 5:30 shuttle the day we're going).

Thanks,

IME, very early, but that's based on 1 experience. Last year, I arrived at 630 for a 7am departure, and there were already about a dozen people in line.

I will be doing the shuttle 4 days in early June, so I can provide more info then.

I can't speak from experience, but yes, I think this is a good plan, because it will probably be easier to get a seat on a bus heading back toward the park entrance. If you get off before your farthest stop, you might have a harder time getting a seat on a bus going in the direction that will let you continue on into the park.

No this is not true. You can just as easily get seats continuing in the same direction.

The benefit of hiking on a return trip, is you have seen it and can determine WHAT area you wish to pick to hike in from the entire distance.

I suggest, if seating is important, to plan on, at the least 30 minutes prior. Realize, that the lines are outside, and out the back of the building. Has posts for the route to line up behind.

IME, very early, but that's based on 1 experience. Last year, I arrived at 630 for a 7am departure, and there were already about a dozen people in line.

I will be doing the shuttle 4 days in early June, so I can provide more info then.

I suggest, if seating is important, to plan on, at the least 30 minutes prior. Realize, that the lines are outside, and out the back of the building. Has posts for the route to line up behind.

Once again, thanks for the sage advice!! You guys are GREAT!! :D

Archived