Never snorkeled before - help!!

lbbeck

My family is going to Cozumel and Calica and I see all these great places to snorkel and scuba dive - I don't even know what the difference is??

I have two girls - 9 and 12 - what do I need to know??

thanks

My family is going to Cozumel and Calica and I see all these great places to snorkel and scuba dive - I don't even know what the difference is??

thanks

Ok, there's a big difference. I'll explain it. And you are going to some beautiful places. Lovely.

Scuba Diving is going underwater with a tank of compressed air to breathe on while your underwater looking at lovely marine life. It takes training, education and certification. There are Discover Scuba classes at some resorts/dive shops that you don't have to be certified to try. Make sure it's a reputable company.

Snorkeling is using a mask, snorkel and fins to float around on the surface to look at marine life in the water. Mostly done in shallow areas close to the beach. More experienced snorklers do excursions in deeper areas. But it takes a little practice to use the mask/snorkel and be scared or nervous.

Hope that helps.....

thanks

Hi,

Assuming you want to snorkel, a bunch of regulars on this board answered a first-time snorkeler's questions here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=710450

Might find some things that will be helpful to you.

Randall

llbeck,

I snorkeled for the first time last summer in Grand Cayman. It was awesome! Yes, I was nervous, but also determined. My DD and I went with a tour group recommended by someone from Cruise Critic. One of the guides from the boat noticed that my mouth was not completely around the mouthpiece, realized that I was a first timer and gave me a quick lesson. I then jumped off the boat into 10-15' water, said a quick prayer, put my face in the water, and breathed. Once I realized that the water was not interfering with my breathing, I was able to relax and view a whole new world. The water was so clear. I just floated on top of the water (didn't go under), but I still loved it and can't wait for the next time.

If you get the chance, do it.

First I would suggest getting your own gear. You don't need to spend a huge amount on it either, but make sure your mask fit. There are several snorkeling kits available at retailers. Walmart, Sam's, etc. Make sure to get some anti-fog for the mask, it makes it easier than having to clear your mask often as a beginner. Also...and I feel this is important, get snorkeling vests for everyone. You can regulate the air in the vest and float if you get tired. And then there is your mini-vacation. Try out snorkeling at Sarasota. The water is warm and fairly clear. It will be a good shake-down and then when you see how clear the water is in the Caribbean you will be shocked. Most of all....relax and have fun!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just snorkeled for the first time last Monday in Cozumel from Playa Uvas (just do a Google search). You can book online with them directly. They have different packages for different levels of activities and food/drink options.

It was $6 each taxi there, and since we shared a taxi back, it was $5 each.

We were hooked up with a Carnival excursion (they do use this site for their excursions, and it was more crowded than I would've liked, but a very nice place nonetheless).

I can't even really swim (I've had a lessons twice as an adult, but I'm just not a water lover). I was near an anxiety attack and had just about decided to back out when I put my face in the water, looked down at the fish, realized I could actually breathe through the tube, and I wasn't going to sink!

It was great! :D

I was quite tired by the end, but I'm so glad I finally did this. There was one guide for about 15 people, but there was also another guide in a kayak who was keeping an eye on all of us.

I just snorkeled for the first time last Monday in Cozumel from Playa Uvas (just do a Google search). You can book online with them directly. They have different packages for different levels of activities and food/drink options.

It was $6 each taxi there, and since we shared a taxi back, it was $5 each.

We were hooked up with a Carnival excursion (they do use this site for their excursions, and it was more crowded than I would've liked, but a very nice place nonetheless).

I can't even really swim (I've had a lessons twice as an adult, but I'm just not a water lover). I was near an anxiety attack and had just about decided to back out when I put my face in the water, looked down at the fish, realized I could actually breathe through the tube, and I wasn't going to sink!

It was great! :D

I was quite tired by the end, but I'm so glad I finally did this. There was one guide for about 15 people, but there was also another guide in a kayak who was keeping an eye on all of us.

Congratulations on your first entry into the ocean!!!:D

Randall

I am a non-swimmer. Can I still go snorkeling? I will be in Bermuda in September and would really love to try it. Is there any place in Bermuda that will teach you to snorkel prior to renting you equipment?

See my post above.

I certainly would not have done it without the guides and without explaining to them that I wasn't really a swimmer and to watch out for me!

I also would never do it without the inflatable vest. I put only a little air into it, but it was quite sufficient.

I realize that it's probably not a really smart thing to do - to get into the ocean in water over your head when you aren't a swimmer. But I was determined to do this and I'm so glad I finally did.

Looking forward to my next cruise in December so I can give it another go!

I am a non-swimmer. Can I still go snorkeling? I will be in Bermuda in September and would really love to try it. Is there any place in Bermuda that will teach you to snorkel prior to renting you equipment?

See if there's a local scuba center in your area. I know that besides teaching scuba my local center also teaches snorkeling. They do it in a local school pool in shallow water and provides snorkel equipment to try as part of the training so you don't have to purchase a snorkel, mask, and fins before you find out whether you'll like it or not. Also if you can snorkel in a fresh water pool you can snorkel in the ocean as salt water is more bouyant so you'll float even higher in the water. :)

Randall

Only if you are not afraid to let yourself float, and don't panick in water. It is crucial to wear fins for a non-swimmer.

I will be a first time snorkeler next winter and i m sure this question has been asked before,but i wear glasses and wondered if they can be worn with the mask. I cant wear contacts and did want to be able to have my normal vision while viewing underwater

I will be a first time snorkeler next winter and i m sure this question has been asked before,but i wear glasses and wondered if they can be worn with the mask. I cant wear contacts and did want to be able to have my normal vision while viewing underwater

Hi margincall......unfortunately, no, you wont' be able to wear your glasses with the snorkel mask. However, they do sell vision correcting masks. My husband bought one from http://www.snorkel-mart.com for $60.00. Many places have them available. He just sent them his eyeglasses prescription to have one made. He is very happy with the mask and now he can even see the fish. LOL

If you have not snorkeled before the trip, buy a mask, snorkel and fins and go to the neighborhood pool when it is not busy and use the equipment. An alternative is to contact a local SCUBA diving shop where they almost always give lessons ($$). If you buy your equipment from them, they will make sure it fits correctly and will probably let you use their pool to check it out. Not everybody's face is shaped the same.

Learning to use the equipment on your shore excursion is not a generally a good idea. If nothing else, most ships will give you snorkel lessons in their pool before reaching port and they will of course sell you the equipment. Nothing is stopping you from using your equipment in the ship pool.

I am a SCUBA diver (certified dive master) and wear contacts. I either wear my contacts with a regular mask while diving or use a vision corrected mask without the contacts. Both work fine. I believe the vision corrected mask was around $100 several years ago. You cannot wear glasses of course. Remember that the water will magnify your vision to a degree, so if your eyesight is not too bad, you may not need a vision corrected mask. Things always seem bigger than they actually are underwater - a very true statement.

One last point for males who have facial hair. If you have a mustache or other facial hair where the mask contacts your face, you probably will have mask leakage. I have seen divers use different techniques to solve this problem but seem to have mediocre results at best. All SCUBA divers are taught how to clear their masks (requirement) and it is an easy technique. Most will show you how to do it if you ask. Look for anyone wearing a SCUBA dive shirt with the red flag and white diagonal line.

The first time I went I closed my glasses up and put them down in my mask and wore the mask, could see pretty good! It wasn't too bad. When I go in July I won't have to worry about it, I have had Lasik surgery, love it!! Have fun!:D

Archived