Past guest going with newbie

I believe it varies ship to ship, cruise to cruise. If you are not a past guest and receive an invite, by all means go. If you don't receive one, then don't go, you've not been invited. If you don't receive one and your sailing partner does, there is no rule that forces them to go. They can stay away. I have seen them check the invites at the door, so you take your chances.

IMHO, it's a nice LITTLE party but not all that.

Edit: Let me add that when they do invite non-past guests, it's not like they throw darts to determine who to invite. It is going to be the cabinmate/spouse of a past guest. I THINK they determine how many past guests they have and make the decision as to whether they can handle more. If many past guests, no non-past guests. If only a few, then let them bring a guest. Just what I think....

You must have a burr under your saddle. No one called you shallow or a victim. There's a world of difference between being told the things you are saying sound like a victim and come off as being shallow than being called shallow and/or a victim.

If you're not understanding what I'm telling you, how about this: I'll tell my boy he's doing something bad but I won't tell him he's bad.

As to "can't understand your hate", if ever there was a mountain being made out of a mole hill....

I made a statement. You said that statement made me sound shallow and that I was playing the victim. I wrote that statement honestly when I typed it, and I still feel the same way. If "the things I am saying" accurately represent me, then yes, you DID call me shallow, and said I was playing the victim. I disagree with you on both counts, but don't argue semantics now when you used the words "shallow" and "victim" to describe a woman who is a stranger to you. You used the words, I stick by my statement, so you insulted me for no reason. I just can't understand what's gotten into people on CC today.

In any case, I'm done. I really could care less about the party, my comments were mainly driven by surprise at the negativity spewed by my fellow CC'ers toward new cruisers.

I made a statement. You said that statement made me sound shallow and that I was playing the victim. I wrote that statement honestly when I typed it, and I still feel the same way. If "the things I am saying" accurately represent me, then yes, you DID call me shallow, and said I was playing the victim. I disagree with you on both counts, but don't argue semantics now when you used the words "shallow" and "victim" to describe a woman who is a stranger to you. You used the words, I stick by my statement, so you insulted me for no reason. I just can't understand what's gotten into people on CC today.

In any case, I'm done. I really could care less about the party, my comments were mainly driven by surprise at the negativity spewed by my fellow CC'ers toward new cruisers.

The negativity on this thread is coming from you. Sorry.

Wow, I would have been all alone on the ship with nothing to do, early in the cruise, while all my friends went somewhere without me.

You can attend the past guest party with me and Mrs. Jones. Of course, it's really not an issue now, as you will indeed be a "past guest" on your next cruise.

Ken

"SKYMASTER"

Wow, all this emotional energy spent over some watered-down drinks and dry meatballs! :eek:

It's hardly some ultra exclusive "club" like some are seeming to make it out to be!

Wow, all this emotional energy spent over some watered-down drinks and dry meatballs! :eek:

It's hardly some ultra exclusive "club" like some are seeming to make it out to be!

I liked the meatballs :D

I believe it varies ship to ship, cruise to cruise. If you are not a past guest and receive an invite, by all means go. If you don't receive one, then don't go, you've not been invited. If you don't receive one and your sailing partner does, there is no rule that forces them to go. They can stay away. I have seen them check the invites at the door, so you take your chances..

YEP IT WILL DEPEND on the ship. Maybe when Figs got an invte the people who run the party thought she was a past guest since everyone else was.

Not that case with our group of many-- only one person was not a past guest and each person received their own invites which were collected at the door. We watched-- and if someone forgot it-- they were told to go get it as they needed the invite to get in the door. so it DOES vary from ship to ship.

My honey found something else to do while we wiled our time being past guests.

the party is for past guests only and it should be kept that way.

In life--if all your friends jumped from the bridge would you join them so not to be left out?? (hmm I sound like my mom)

YEP IT WILL DEPEND on the ship. Maybe when Figs got an invte the people who run the party thought she was a past guest since everyone else was.

Not that case with our group of many-- only one person was not a past guest and each person received their own invites which were collected at the door. We watched-- and if someone forgot it-- they were told to go get it as they needed the invite to get in the door. so it DOES vary from ship to ship.

My honey found something else to do while we wiled our time being past guests.

the party is for past guests only and it should be kept that way.

In life--if all your friends jumped from the bridge would you join them so not to be left out?? (hmm I sound like my mom)

I agree. It should be for past guest only, but it is their party and should they decide on a sailing to invite non-past guests, that is their choice. I do totally disagree about going to the purser to wrangle an invite.

Also for figs, could've been a group of ten with one lone wolf and out of good will extended the invite? I honestly don't know...

Something just crossed my mind. My minor nephew (16 yo), on his first cruise, was invited to this grand gala event. He was sharing a cabin with me and my mother (both past guests). figs did state she was quite young... wonder how old her cruising companions were, and could this have had a bearing on the invite? :confused:

You have two rude choices and one good mannered choice to make.

1. Take the uninvited newbie to the party---RUDE!

2. Leave your guest to fend for themselves while you attend the party.-RUDE!

3. Skip the party because you are with an UNINVITED PERSON.---PROPER MANNERS!

I agree with you, and that is the problem. Carnival is putting their loyal repeat customers in an awkward position wherein they are forced to either behave rudely or forego a benefit they have been teased with. It is bad business and bad manners on the part of Carnival to do such a thing.

And figs is right. A lot of people do go on the attack over this issue. It's really quite remarkable how defensive they can get...

There are many private parties held on a cruise. If I am not invited to these private parties then I should not try and go. On one of my future cruises they are having bands play only for this group, a private showing of the Rocky Horror show and a masquarde ball. I have paid my money for this cruise why should I be excluded from these venues? Why? I was not invited. If you are invited go. If not don't. It is very simple.

I get a lot of perks now that I am Platinum. Should Carnival make all these perks available to everyone so they don't feel left out? Does it "leave a bad taste in your mouth" that Carnival gives me all these perks because I am a past guest of 10 or more cruises and you aren't?

You some how received a invitation to a past guest party. You had every right to go because you were invited. Not all ships invite non past guests and people should know this. Again, very simple, go only if you are invited.

2. Leave your guest to fend for themselves while you attend the party.-RUDE!

Gonna disagree with you just a bit on this. Depends upon who you are cruising with. Were it me being left behind, I would have no problem and not consider being left to fend for myself for an hour as rude. Just because I'm traveling with someone, doesn't mean I want to be attached at the hip the whole time :eek: . Heck, that would be the perfect time to have the cabin/bathroom to yourself!!

If my friend wants to attend a party that I've not been invited to (attended by mostly strangers and less than an hour), why should I care? They ARE going to come back from this deep, dark hole of a party. And the vacation continues....

Here is the solution.

The person left behind stays in the cabin, breaks out the bottle of smuggled (fill in the blank), open a can of (fill in the blank) or order juice from room service. While room service is at it, go ahead and bring (fill in the blank) to eat. You can do this in your underwear, and it will be better than the party. Promise.

I get a lot of perks now that I am Platinum. Should Carnival make all these perks available to everyone so they don't feel left out? Does it "leave a bad taste in your mouth" that Carnival gives me all these perks because I am a past guest of 10 or more cruises and you aren't?

I don't believe that anybody is suggesting that this perk should go to "everyone". There is a difference between extending it to "everyone" and extending it to somebody sharing a cabin with the intended recipient. As a platinum guest, if you sail with a non-platinum guest, doesn't that guest share many of YOUR perks? That is the way it should be.

To me the past guest party means just that---with an exception. It seems to me in Figs case, that Carnival did what I would consider the right thing. They invited her. We sail on many cruise lines. My husband has not sailed as many cruises as I have. I would be most upset if he could not attend a past guest party with me. (That hasn't happened as different lines have different policies.)

On Royal Caribbean, they give spouses the same status as the cruiser. So even though my husband has had 2 cruises less than I do on RCI, he still retains my status. I think it is unconscionable for a cruise line to say to a married person, you can do this but your husband can't. I think Carnival should take some lessons from RCI and give the spouse the same status.

Having said that, if we travel with friends who are not past guests, no matter which cruise line, we don't attend the past guests party. We feel our friends are with us and not entitled to doing so.

Everyone has his/her own opinions and at times the cruise line agrees with some of us, other times it agrees with others. Enjoy your cruise.

IAnd figs is right. A lot of people do go on the attack over this issue. It's really quite remarkable how defensive they can get...

there are a few issues that get people on the defensive. This is one. And you will get the same replies on all those "minor" issues on all the cruiselines forums. Its just not a carnival thing

there are a few issues that get people on the defensive. This is one. And you will get the same replies on all those "minor" issues on all the cruiselines forums. Its just not a carnival thing

Don't I know it! The one that really gets me is when people mention on the Celebrity board that they wish that line had self-serve laundry rooms, the board goes NUTS! You would think that somebody had suggested setting the ship on fire. I'm not sure how having a laundry room hurts anybody, but what do I know...

I don't believe that anybody is suggesting that this perk should go to "everyone". There is a difference between extending it to "everyone" and extending it to somebody sharing a cabin with the intended recipient. As a platinum guest, if you sail with a non-platinum guest, doesn't that guest share many of YOUR perks? That is the way it should be.

Good point.

You MUST NOT share those chocolate covered strawberries with your non-platinum DH/DW/SO.

And make 'em go through the "regular" boarding lines and non-priority tendering. They can catch to you in an hour or two; after all, surely your loved one can wait alone for a while without you, even if they do get sad!

After all, the VIP lines are getting longer too, can't have those non-VIP'ers adding to the problem... :D

Touché.

I believe I can settle this.

Past

1.gone by or elapsed in time: It was a bad time, but it's all past now.

2.of, having existed in, or having occurred during a time previous to the present; bygone: the past glories of the Incas.

3.gone by just before the present time; just passed: during the past year.

4.ago: six days past.

5.having formerly been or served as; previous; earlier: three past presidents of the club.

6.Grammar. designating a tense, or other verb formation or construction, that refers to events or states in time gone by.

–noun

7.the time gone by: He could remember events far back in the past.

8.the history of a person, nation, etc.: our country's glorious past.

9.what has existed or has happened at some earlier time: Try to forget the past, now that your troubles are over.

10.the events, phenomena, conditions, etc., that characterized an earlier historical period: That hat is something out of the past.

11.an earlier period of a person's life, career, etc., that is thought to be of a shameful or embarrassing nature: When he left prison, he put his past behind him.

12.Grammar. a.the past tense, as he ate, he smoked. b.another verb formation or construction with past meaning. c.a form in the past tense.

So, I guess that if you are a first time cruiser, then you are NOT a past cruiser and therefore, you should not attend the Past Guest Party.

Any questions?

So, I guess that if you are a first time cruiser, then you are NOT a past cruiser and therefore, you should not attend the Past Guest Party.

Ah, not so fast. By that logic, you would not be able to attend a birthday party unless it was your birthday... If the party is meant to celebrate past guests, that doesn't necessarily mean that everybody there has to be one. Non-past-guests can be invited to celebrate those who have sailed previously with the line, much like people whose birthday falls on another day can be invited to a birthday party to celebrate somebody's birthday...

Ah, not so fast. By that logic, you would not be able to attend a birthday party unless it was your birthday... If the party is meant to celebrate past guests, that doesn't necessarily mean that everybody there has to be one. Non-past-guests can be invited to celebrate those who have sailed previously with the line, much like people whose birthday falls on another day can be invited to a birthday party to celebrate somebody's birthday...

The Past Guest Invitations has the name of the Past Guest. This is produced by the cruise line. Following your logic, it is OK for me to bring someone to the party who was not invited by the person giving the party.

What is wrong with that logic?

It is NOT a birthday party organized by a private individual. There is a certain protocol for inviting people to a private birthday party that does not apply to the PAST GUEST PARTY. It is a BUSINESS COCKTAIL PARTY for the business's RETURNING customers. It is not, and should not be an open event. The CAPTAIN'S COCKTAIL PARTY is for all guests, new and old.

To not understand the difference is to be intentionally obtuse.

Dan

Archived