Help! Forgot passport leaving in 6 hours

jac8724

Im at my parents house and I just realized that I left my passport at my apartment which is over an hour away. I have to be up in 6 hours to get on a plane to go to miami for our cruise. Cruising with Carnival on the Valor out of Miami sunday.

We found my US birth certificate and I have a state ID. Is this enough or do I need to get in the car and spend half my night driving to get this passport?

Thanks for any help! Let me know what you think asap!

Im at my parents house and I just realized that I left my passport at my apartment which is over an hour away. I have to be up in 6 hours to get on a plane to go to miami for our cruise. Cruising with Carnival on the Valor out of Miami sunday.

We found my US birth certificate and I have a state ID. Is this enough or do I need to get in the car and spend half my night driving to get this passport?

If your state ID is a photo ID you will have no trouble :) Passports are not required at this time.

You should be fine as long as it is a notarized birth certificate with a valid state ID. If you are still not sure call Carnival and they can confirm this. Cruises are still able to use those forms of ID. Others can chime in in they have heard anything new.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I cruised on the Valor last May with just my birth certificate (with the seal) and my photo ID. I did not have any problems. I wouldn't worry about. Get some rest and have a GREAT cruise...

Start driving now, You may not need your passport to board the ship. But heaven forbid, you should have to leave the ship in another country and fly back home, you may have some trouble , Passports are required to enter the us by air travel. Better to be safe than sorry.You can always sleep on the plane to Miami.

You should be fine as long as it is a notarized birth certificate with a valid state ID. If you are still not sure call Carnival and they can confirm this. Cruises are still able to use those forms of ID. Others can chime in in they have heard anything new.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I dont think they will take a notorized birth certificate. We tried to use a notarized BC for getting a passport and so did one other couple who was trying to board and was denied boarding. It has to be the official copy.

Start driving now, You may not need your passport to board the ship. But heaven forbid, you should have to leave the ship in another country and fly back home, you may have some trouble , Passports are required to enter the us by air travel. Better to be safe than sorry.You can always sleep on the plane to Miami.

The OP is probably on the plane headed to Miami by now. His 6 hours were up at 6am. Unless he has a car with a flux capacitor :)

Here is my question---if you are a married woman and you took your husband's name....your birth cert and your state issued ID have two different last names. Would you then need a marriage licence or something in order to tie the two names together? Or do they take your word for it?

This is why I think a passport is just easier...

Here is my question---if you are a married woman and you took your husband's name....your birth cert and your state issued ID have two different last names. Would you then need a marriage licence or something in order to tie the two names together? Or do they take your word for it?

As long as your passport has the same name. I had a passport with my maiden name because we had applied for them for our honeymoon. However, I had no problem using my passport with my maiden name and my drivers license with my married name. I did bring my marriage license just in case. They did not even ask for it.

You might be asked for your marriage cert or you might not be. It is best to bring it just in case. I was never asked for it, but I have read accounts of others who have been asked for it. Better safe than sorry.

I have a hard time beleiving someone would ask for a marriage certificate if you have a birth certificate and a state ID (Driver's license). The majority of women in this country marry at some point and of course, their birth certificate will have a different name. If you're divorced, do you have to carry around the old marriage certificate for the rest of your life? As long as the birthdates match, I think you're fine. I'm pretty sure Carnival would make that one of the pieces of ID you'd need if that were true. I've cruised many times with a birth certificate and Drivers license, no passport, and nobody has blinked an eye. I do know that Carnival will only let people under the age of 21 travel without someone older in that cabin unless you are married. In that instance, I would think a marriage certificate would be required.

Donna

Thanks, RN...I have heard that, too...but I have also read on this board that you won't have trouble returning if you're sick from a foreign port without a passport. Your ship validation covers that. Sorry, can't prove it and we've hijacked the thread which is a no no...lol. I'm not sure about getting in trouble but I can assure you, I won't get in trouble!:D

Donna

Thanks, RN...I have heard that, too...but I have also read on this board that you won't have trouble returning if you're sick from a foreign port without a passport. Your ship validation covers that. Sorry, can't prove it and we've hijacked the thread which is a no no...lol. I'm not sure about getting in trouble but I can assure you, I won't get in trouble!:D

Donna

Tell that to the family that was on Majesty of the Seas, and left in the Bahamas when their young daughter needed medical care, had to get emergency passports to fly home, a total of $540 for the family

Donna

Well, if you read it on this board, it must be true...;)

Actually, the recent event with the family trying to get back home after spending time in a hospital with their sick child (and thus missing the ship) shows that while you will get back home eventually, we can't really say it will be with "no trouble."

I'm so sorry, I stand corrected. I was focussed on Mexico. I agree that passports are a good thing but they aren't required in cruise travel at this time. Here's the deal on Mexico:

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

• CURRENTLY:
    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
  • LATER:
    On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

I'm so sorry, I stand corrected. I was focussed on Mexico. I agree that passports are a good thing but they aren't required in cruise travel at this time. Here's the deal on Mexico:

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

• CURRENTLY:
    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
  • LATER:
    On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

True, the point others are making, is what if you need to fly home during your cruise. Some on this board make it sould like a simple process, but thats not always the case.

Well how would the agent know that the person with a BC in her maiden name and her ID with her married name is the same person? Alot of people have the same birthdate. That is why you need a marriage certificate or your divorce papers to prove that the person on the cruise docs and the person with the BC match. Now whether or not the agent would ask for it is just to big a gable IMO. I work for an airline that flys internationally and it is extremely important to have the right documentation to prove nationality.

Me and my wife make a photo copy of our Passports and put them with our cruising carry on Bag and always leave the copys there for just such a occurence, does anyone know if they would accept the copys instead of the Originals?? Thanks;) :)

Archived