Help! Forgot passport leaving in 6 hours

jac8724

Here is what Carnival has on their website. We have never been asked for our marriage license but there is always the possibility of a first time. ;) YMMV.

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of immigration requirements. Carnival strongly recommends guests travel with a passport since it will expedite clearance by the Department of Homeland Security. U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable. Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) OR a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

True, the point others are making, is what if you need to fly home during your cruise. Some on this board make it sould like a simple process, but thats not always the case.

I understand. The information I got was from Travel.state.gov. The following information refers to AIR and sea travel. It not only includes Mexico but 17 Carribbian areas:

.ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

• CURRENTLY:
    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

So, what am I missing here? There may be ports of call that the US requires a passport to get back to the US in the event you can't get back by the ship you sailed in on. A passport isn't going to help me get out of these areas any quicker than a birth certificate or a drivers license. I'm not saying passports aren't good, they're great. I just don't understand people insisting you "have" to have them if you get sick or get in trouble or miss the boat or whatever reason you get stuck where ever you are in order to get back to the states quickly.

As far as "getting in trouble", I haven't researched that but I'm pretty sure if you're "in trouble" in a foreign port....it's gonna take more than a passport to get you out of trouble!

Donna

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of immigration requirements. Carnival strongly recommends guests travel with a passport since it will expedite clearance by the Department of Homeland Security. U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable. Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) OR a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

So, as long as my name is the same on my CRUISE and/or airline ticket AND my current Driver's license, I'm good to go? I don't have to haul around my marriage license!

Thanks for clearing that up!

Donna

I understand. The information I got was from Travel.state.gov. The following information refers to AIR and sea travel. It not only includes Mexico but 17 Carribbian areas:

.ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

• CURRENTLY:
    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

So, what am I missing here? There may be ports of call that the US requires a passport to get back to the US in the event you can't get back by the ship you sailed in on. A passport isn't going to help me get out of these areas any quicker than a birth certificate or a drivers license. I'm not saying passports aren't good, they're great. I just don't understand people insisting you "have" to have them if you get sick or get in trouble or miss the boat or whatever reason you get stuck where ever you are in order to get back to the states quickly.

As far as "getting in trouble", I haven't researched that but I'm pretty sure if you're "in trouble" in a foreign port....it's gonna take more than a passport to get you out of trouble!

Donna

What you are missing is this:

It doesn't matter where you are coming from, if you are flying into the United States from anywhere outside of the United States, you are required to present a passport to re-enter the United States.

SO, if you legally board a cruise ship in Miami with only your BC and a DL, and you cruise happily away, you're fine. If you get off in a foreign port and miss the ship, you are now NOT fine because in order to get back home to the US, you will need to present a valid passport to get back home. Why? Because you are trying to enter the US by air. It's not a matter of the foreign port requiring you to have a passport to leave, it's the US who is holding you up, because you cannot re-enter the US by air without a valid passport. This is why people are saying you must have a passport if you get stuck in a foreign port because you missed the ship.

Here is the info to have you something happens and you miss the ship and need to fly back - -

If you need to fly home in an emergency it can be handled by a phone call assuming that you fly directly back to the U.S. The State Department can fax permission to fly to the airline. Remember you have already been checked by Homeland Security before you step on the ship. Your names are on the ships manifest and all of this is easily verified. You should have this number when out of the country for Overseas Citizens Services 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444). Also you should have the number for the agent that Carnival uses while in port which is listed in the Capers.

Here is the info to have you something happens and you miss the ship and need to fly back - -

If you need to fly home in an emergency it can be handled by a phone call assuming that you fly directly back to the U.S. The State Department can fax permission to fly to the airline. Remember you have already been checked by Homeland Security before you step on the ship. Your names are on the ships manifest and all of this is easily verified. You should have this number when out of the country for Overseas Citizens Services 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444). Also you should have the number for the agent that Carnival uses while in port which is listed in the Capers.

Maybe so, but according to the most recently highly publicized incident involving the family who missed the ship in the bahamas because their child was ill, this did not happen for them. They had to pay for and be issued passports to re-enter the US. They are now demanding that RCI re-imburse them for the cost of the passports. No one "faxed permission " for this family to re-enter the US, so I would not assume it would be that easy for anyone else.

I hate to beat this dead horse, but what I posted and quoted was from Homeland Security. If you will read it, it clearly states:

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

Federal Register: November 24, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 226)]

[Rules and Regulations]

[Page 68411-68430]

From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]

[DOCID:fr24no06-18]

Documents Required for Travelers Departing From or Arriving in the

United States at Air Ports-of-Entry From Within the Western Hemisphere;

Final Rule

. Documentation Requirements Prior to the Effective Date of This Rule

The documentation requirements for travelers entering the United

States by air generally depend on the nationality of the traveler and

whether or not the traveler is entering the United States from a

country within the Western Hemisphere. The following is an overview of

the documentation requirements for citizens of the United States,

Canada, British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and Mexico who enter the

United States at air ports-of-entry prior to the effective date of this

rule.

1. U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens must possess a valid U.S. passport to depart from or

enter the U.S>

[[Page 68413]]

United States.\1\ However, this passport requirement has not applied to

U.S. citizens who depart from or enter the United States from within

the Western Hemisphere other than from Cuba.\2\ United States citizens

have been required to satisfy the inspecting officers of their

identities and citizenship. Accordingly, U.S. citizens have not been

required to present a valid passport when entering the United States by

air from within the Western Hemisphere other than Cuba.\3\.

So, show me where you are getting your information that you have to have a passport to get back to the US from these areas:) .

Donna

As of January 23, 2007, here are the new requirements for air travel to the US:

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

Areas that fall under the WHTI:

• Canada
  • Mexico

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

• CURRENTLY:
  • LATER:
    On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

U.S. PASSPORT AND WHTI COMPLIANT DOCUMENTS:

• U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the aforementioned Western Hemisphere countries.
  • The Passport Card: Passport card applications are currently being accepted in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. Based on current projections, we expect to begin production of the passport card in June, and be in full production in July. We will provide additional updates as available. Once in production, the passport card it will only be valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.
  • WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008:
    • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
    • State Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (when available)
    • Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
    • U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
    • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
    • Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
    • Form I-872 American Indian Card

For further information see U.S. Customs and Border protection.

ABOUT WHTI

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA), requiring all travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S.

The goal of the initiative is to strengthen U.S. border security while facilitating entry for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors by providing standardized documentation that enables the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler.

Federal Regulations

From the Dept. of US Homeland Security

Travelers entering the U.S. by air. All travelers entering the United States by air have been required to present a passport or secure document since January 23, 2007.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

When they refer to "other valid documents" they are not referring to BC and DL when returning to the US by air. There are more detailed descriptions of valid travel documents at both these sites, but for your purposes, if you are a US citizen coming into the country by air from a foreign country, you must present a passport.

I hate to beat this dead horse, but what I posted and quoted was from Homeland Security. If you will read it, it clearly states:

[Rules and Regulations]

[Page 68411-68430]

Final Rule

rule.

1. U.S. Citizens

enter the U.S>

[[Page 68413]]

So, show me where you are getting your information that you have to have a passport to get back to the US from these areas:) .

Donna

This is from a section of the Homeland security site where it talks about what the policy has been, and then it goes on to say what the policy is NOW.

I have traveled by air to and from the United States and the Caribbean twice in the last year (US and Grand Cayman, US and BVI) and each time I was required to show my passport before boarding the plane back to the US as well as once I arrived back in the US.

Me and my wife make a photo copy of our Passports and put them with our cruising carry on Bag and always leave the copys there for just such a occurence, does anyone know if they would accept the copys instead of the Originals?? Thanks;) :)

The copies are worthless for travel. They might help the state department track down your original if you lost them but that is about it.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

• CURRENTLY:

Donna

You really need to go read the entire document more carefully. If you are entering the US by air from Mexico, the Caribbean, Canada, or anyplace else, you MUST have a passport or special WHTI document. You will have not get back in, except on a round trip cruise without one.

[Rules and Regulations]

[Page 68411-68430]

Final Rule

rule.

1. U.S. Citizens

enter the U.S>

[[Page 68413]]

So, show me where you are getting your information that you have to have a passport to get back to the US from these areas .

Donna

What you are quoting are comments, not the rule itself, and you are taking it out of context.

If you try to fly into the country you MUST have a passport.

I would love to know what government document this information came from. It is not consistent with the rules that have been promulgated.

Here is what Carnival has on their website. We have never been asked for our marriage license but there is always the possibility of a first time. ;) YMMV.

I have had to show my marriage license once and volunteered it after that sometimes they looked and sometimes they didn't. It just depends on the agent I guess but after being advised by my TA the first time (which was actually our honeymoon) I took it with me each time. Now that I use my passport I dont worry about it any longer.

What if you are driving to port. We just had friend come home froma cruise to mexico, none of them had passports and they flew.

If their cruise departed from a US port, they would not need a passport to fly there, even though the ship would be traveling to a foreign country.

Also, if you are driving to the port you will not need a passport to cruise.

If you are a US citizen, you only need a passport:

-If you are flying back to the US from outside of the US or its territories;

-If you are traveling to a destination which requires you to present a passport in order to enter their country.

I went to Grand Cayman recently (flew). I had to have a passport, not because Grand Cayman requires it, but because the US required me to have one to return to the US.

True, the point others are making, is what if you need to fly home during your cruise. Some on this board make it sould like a simple process, but thats not always the case.

Eventually they'll be able to come back into the US but its not as simple as it would be with a passport...

But then again I once spoke to a group of girls that called from a bus in Mexico, driving back to LA to meet up with the Pride. Apparently these girls had too much fun and missed the ship.. had NO documentation at all. 1 girl started to cry on the phone.. (grp of 21 yr olds on spring break) and another sounded strangely calm. The calm girl explained what happened and thats when I just knew it was a prank! But she was serious. She asked what would happen with their stuff onboard etc etc. I eventually found out it was a serious call and they really did miss the ship.

I guess it's easy to come back into the US from Mexico, with NO documentation at all :eek: lol

Maybe so, but according to the most recently highly publicized incident involving the family who missed the ship in the bahamas because their child was ill, this did not happen for them. They had to pay for and be issued passports to re-enter the US. They are now demanding that RCI re-imburse them for the cost of the passports. No one "faxed permission " for this family to re-enter the US, so I would not assume it would be that easy for anyone else.

I dont see why they would want that money reimbursed... did the cruiseline get their child sick? and they couldve easily applied for passports before they decided to book the cruise:confused:

But yes..Traveling from OUTSIDE the US you will need a valid passport to Enter....thats by air of course:p

I dont see why they would want that money reimbursed... did the cruiseline get their child sick? and they couldve easily applied for passports before they decided to book the cruise:confused:

But yes..Traveling from OUTSIDE the US you will need a valid passport to Enter....thats by air of course:p

Well, it's a long story. It has been in all of the media outlets. Their 7month old child was sick with vomiting and diarrhea. They took her to the infirmary (according to RCI, 4 hours after being told to come right in). The doctor feared the baby was becoming dehydrated and insisted they debark and take her to the hospital as the ship was departing for the private island the next am. Long story short, they claim the Bahamas ER doc. diagnosed her with a "simple cold." They are angry with RCI that they were forced off the ship for something so "trivial," which cost them thousands in air fare and passports to get home. So they are demanding RCI reimburse them for all their expenses, plus refund their cruise fare. Also, they didn't have travel insurance for the baby, so they also want the medical expenses reimbursed.

In addition to creating all sorts of controversy over their own role in this fiasco, it did illustrate quite well that in the event that you miss the ship, you will NOT just be waved back into the US without a care in the world. This family was required to purchase emergency passports to get back into the US at considerable hassle and expense because they were flying back into the US from a foreign country.

Just a note here... We had always planned on getting passports but had used Birth certificates and ID's previously without any problem. After hearing here on CC thatthe process was MUCH faster, and all the potential bad things that could happen though we decided it is best to be safe and not sorry and apply...

We applied on May 2, and they were back in our hands on May 10, EIGHT days later.

I am really happy we did this and now will have no worries travelling, should we need them or not. DEFINITELY worth the peace of mind.

Good idea about copies at home and in suitcases... I need to do that!

Nancy

I am so embarrassed I can't even read the replies after my last post. PLEASE accept my sincere apologies for being so ding danged obtuse in this matter! After extensive research, I finally found the US Govt. explanation as to what other "secure travel documents" are and they are NOT a DL and a BC! You MUST have a passport to travel by air from a foreign country into the U.S.

There may be other ways, with the help of a US Govt. official to get back without one in the event of an emergency, but the fastest way to get back is WITH A PASSPORT.

Also, please be advised that there are a lot of incorrect and conflicting information out there but the bottom line, as Carnival states, is that you MUST rely on the official Government documentation regarding travel!

PLEASE accept my sincere apologies!

Donna

I guess it's easy to come back into the US from Mexico, with NO documentation at all :eek: lol

It used to be possible to cross the US-Mexican border with just an oral declaration. Basically what this meant was in the case of these girls, if they could convince the border agent that they were American citizens they could and apparently were allowed across the border. Oral declarations were terminated last January. Now they would need to show proper ID or they would need to visit an American consulate and obtain temporary documents that would allow them to cross the border.

Just to add some more passport info to the mix, there are countries that require a passport even on cruises--I know that Costa Rica has required passports for cruisers for several years but don't know if there are any others.

Just to add some more passport info to the mix, there are countries that require a passport even on cruises--I know that Costa Rica has required passports for cruisers for several years but don't know if there are any others.

While I don't doubt that you are correct about some nations requiring passports for cruise passengers, Costa Rica isn't one of them.

The OP is probably on the plane headed to Miami by now. His 6 hours were up at 6am. Unless he has a car with a flux capacitor :)

My first car had a flux capacitor. Got horrible gas mileage though.

My first car had a flux capacitor. Got horrible gas mileage though.

I hear ya..plus you gotta generate 1.21 jiggawatts..thats never easy.:D

The OP is gonna come back and wonder how their thread went in all these directions :)

I hope they are onboard and having a wonderful time.

Archived