Holiday Review and a ?

crystalh256

I'll start with the question first. I have scoured this site and cannot figure out how to post on the review board. Anyone know?

Background info: This not only was our (DH and I) first cruise, but also first time being without kids for more than one night. DH does not fly and therefore limits us to a handful of ports. We chose Holiday because it of this and also had several friends recommend this as a first time cruise. We are pretty easy going people who can make the best of things (we do have 4 kids that go everywhere with us after all). We left on Saturday 5-10 and returned Thursday May 15.

Drive down and Embarkation: Left from Cullman, AL at 7:30 pm and stopped in Greenville overnight. Left at 8:00 am and arrived at terminal at 10:30 am. Carnival's directions to terminal really did not match up to interstate signage and saw more of Mobile than planned. This may have been due to a road detour, may go better when there is no detour. Arriving at 10:30 was too early (just like I told Hubby it would be;)) and are told by police to take a drive or park across the street under the interstate. We parked until 11:30 and by then was a good size line to get back to the parking garage. Was aboard Holiday at 12:10 pm and told we could drop off carry on at room, but cabin would not be ready until 1:30, which it was. Last checked bag showed up at 5:30, no biggie it was DH clothes:D.

Ship: On the exterior you could tell this is an older ship. I personally thought the interior looked great with the exception of the windows as they were showing age. I think CC lowered our expectations, so we were pleasantly surprised. Thought it was beautifully decorated and in very good condition. Never experienced brown water. Only time noticed any odor was at ports on decks 3 and 4 and last sea day on Empress deck. Really didn't smell like sewage though, more like some city water systems I have come across. I do not know if the smell on 3 and 4 went away as I only went down there to get off at ports, but on Empress I didn't notice it an hour later when I walked back downstairs. Elevators are tiny. Ship never felt crowded even though it was sold out. I get carsick very easy so figured I would need something for motion sickness. Only used it the last night at sea, as there was a slight rolling of the ship and I didn't want to take the chance of being sick on the last night.

Shows and Activities: We went to both Xtreme Country (great and Steve the CD plays a mean fiddle) and Shout (Okay, but could have been better without the female lead singer, both DH and I found her voice annoying). Went to the first clean comedy show and was funny (cannot remember the man's name) and the R Rated Show the last night with Brad

Tassell and thought it was hilarious. Attended some activities but mainly laid around the pool and was in bed by midnight every night except the night of the deck party. We are used to getting up early and turning in by 9 pm so late nights were a stretch for us.

Ports: Our first port was Progreso. Had massages on the beach 40 min for $20 that were wonderful. Not much else of interest to us here. Next time will go to Chichen Itza for the day. Next day was Cozumel. We did the dolphin swim at Chankanaab park through Dolphin Discovery. Booked on our own before the cruise. The park was beautiful and the swim with the dolphins worth every penny! We will be doing this one again with the kids. Also did some shopping. Word of warning, cabs here are not for the faint of heart. Hubby had claw marks on his arm from me squeezing it on the way to downtown.:eek:

Staff: Very friendly! I can see why they are award winning. Never met our room steward but room was always lovely when we returned to it. Great bar waiter by the name of I Gede. Felt compelled to tip him extra as we did not drink much but he knew DH by name and card number so we really didn't have to pull out S&S after the first day. Anyone cruising soon please tell I Gede Mr James and wife says Hello! Steve Cassel was very funny in a geeky sort of way and very talented at playing the fiddle, violin, and juggling. We enjoyed him quite a bit. Becca was great, Hubby loved the sound of her voice. Camp Carnival must have been great as we were told the last day at sea that 175 kids were onboard and we only saw a handful the entire time.

Dining: This is the only thing that had me worried precruise. DH is very picky. Both thought the food was wonderful. I had Filet Mignon, Salmon, Veal cutlets, and the NY sirloin and thought all were outstanding. DH enjoyed the NY sirloin, prime rib, lobster, and pork chops and enjoyed all. We had 8:30 seating in the 4 winds. Maitre D was Orhan. He visited our table every night. If he did it just for the tip, at least he worked for it instead of just showing up the last night. We did tip $5 as we did not need the Maitre D but he did put us with 3 other wonderful couples that we plan to stay in touch with, even planning a camping trip.

Cabin: M54. Thought it was more than roomy enough for the 2 of us and would be doable with more in the room. Cannot imagine sailing in a smaller cabin though....pretty much rules out us jumping ship from Carnival to RCI etc. Was very clean and had plenty of space in the closets and bathroom without the over the door things. Kept my makeup and hair things on the desk and did not need an extention cord for more outlets.

Disembarkation: We did self assist. We were on Main so we were called first at 5 minutes to 8. Was in the car and driving away by 8:20.

We really loved this trip and thought our fellow cruisers were great. Everyone was very polite and seemed to have a great time. Only came across one young man that I'm sure had to much to drink in Cozumel. He was not annoying, but somewhat entertaining as he walked into something everytime his friend would let go of his arm.

Three things that were not great about this trip: Missed the kids quite a bit, so bringing them next time. No Mt Dew, did not bring any as I thought I would be able to grab a couple in Mexico. Was offering $30 for a can by Tuesday, will carry some on next time. Lastly, they made us get off the ship Thursday!

Any questions, ask away!!

Glad you had a great time so now you are hooked like the rest of us here! My wife and kids and I live to cruise now...its all we want to do.....lol. If one is available near you try a Carnival Spirit class ship next time as we like them the best and it seems to be the popular choice on the Carnival boards....but any cruise is a great time. Welcome to the All I Think About Is Cruising Club!;)

We knew you would love it!!!

We went without kids too for the first 2 cruises - and yes, missed them, but it was fantastic having some alone time with my husband instead of Daddy!! :D I think we will take 2 cruises a year - a short one with just us and a longer one with the kids....that way we get our alone time and the kids get their cruise too!!!

Glad you had a great time!! - Now, it's time to book again!:D :D

DH was not very excited to go on the cruise but was looking forward to the dolphin swim....my bribe to get him to get him on a ship. After the first day at sea he informed me he cannot see a vacation any other way now. Looking at May 2009 on either Holiday or Fantasy.....ready to book....wallets not though. We booked this one after final payments were made. Did not realize the deposits are so high...almost as much as the fare itself:confused:.

I'll start with the question first. I have scoured this site and cannot figure out how to post on the review board. Anyone know?

Start off on the home page. Scroll down the page till you see a box listing "Write a member review". Click on the arrow. It will list every cruise ship on the seven seas! Scroll down till you find "Holiday". Click on Holiday and this will bring you to the review page.

The Holiday was the first ship I ever cruised on (1995). I was on it again in 2003. I loved every minute :) Glad you and DH enjoyed your trip and are planning one again.

Linda

great review! I leave on the Holiday in two weeks as a first cruiser and I am so pleased to see the wonderful reviews that are coming on from you folks that just got off of her.

glad you had a great cruise and I appreciate your review :)

DH was not very excited to go on the cruise but was looking forward to the dolphin swim....my bribe to get him to get him on a ship. After the first day at sea he informed me he cannot see a vacation any other way now. Looking at May 2009 on either Holiday or Fantasy.....ready to book....wallets not though. We booked this one after final payments were made. Did not realize the deposits are so high...almost as much as the fare itself:confused:.

Sounds exactly like me. I once turned down a very good offer to play a two-week gig in a band on a cruise.

My wife twisted my arm to get me on my first cruise, and now I drive her nuts e-mailing her great deals and new itineraries to look at.

Thank You for your review. Glad to hear the old girl is still in good shape. She was the ship that hooked me to in 1994. I was on her agian with DD in 2004. I love her.

My theory on the smell is just rank people and it going out into the halls.:eek: There was times on the Triumph when there was this rank smell in one area. It would come and go, right after the guy would go in the cabin. I saw them moving some people in the middle of the cruise from the next room:D

I am so happy to read your review. We are sailing for the first time in August on the Holiday. We are taking our 3 teenagers with us to celebrate our 20th anniversary and I can hardly wait. I have been reading the CC forum for many months and have appreciated everyone's suggestions and reviews. I believe after reading CC's I will be well informed of what to do and what not to do.

Thanks again!

Thanks for a lovely review. I was looking at booking Holiday in August, during the Democratic Natl Convention. Would love to be as far from the zoo in Denver as possible. :eek:

The prices are unbelievable for five days...I'm so glad I found your review.

Now I have to figure out a way to get there. Looks like I'll be going to Atlanta then backtracking to Mobile. Fun :(

Thanks again for your review! Hug your kids, and hope you have an easy adjustment to the non-cruise life.

Archived