Hair Straighteners

PhilUK73

Last summer my daughter brought her US wattage CHI hair straightener to London. We used the power converter properly, and it worked for all other appliances. Sadly, the straightener was some type of low voltage, and after about 30 seconds started clicking rapidly and smoking. Obviously, it was ruined and we learned a $120 lesson! Maybe someone else has used one on board, but I would ask about brand specific usage.

Good Luck:)

Last summer my daughter brought her US wattage CHI hair straightener to London. We used the power converter properly, and it worked for all other appliances. Sadly, the straightener was some type of low voltage, and after about 30 seconds started clicking rapidly and smoking. Obviously, it was ruined and we learned a $120 lesson! Maybe someone else has used one on board, but I would ask about brand specific usage.

I do think that has something to do with the voltage. Have you seen the Travelocity commercial where the gnome plugs in something & is shot across the room? That was me in Paris. Not once, but twice! :eek: I had the right converter, but I guess my blow dryer had too much wattage. It shorted out our wing of the Paris Hilton twice. :D Thankfully, DH was able to find the electrical box and fix it so I didn't have to hear someone saying, "Dumb American!" ;)

:D

Funny--not really---my Chi flat iron died in Papette--no smoke no nothing--tried it with every plug in the room--no luck--only the Chi dryer--so Miss Frizz until LAX--the straightener is probably more important than the dryer--although the ones the ships/hotels provide have no way to direct the heat properly when drying your hair--many women out there reading this will have have no idea what I'm talking about--the dryer to many is just to point somewhere toward your hair and it dries--I envy those who can do that--Straightening my hair is a real ain in the axx--but I will always continue to keep it up until it's time for a wig

Nancy :D

Phil,

If your wife uses UK GHD straighteners there won't be a problem, as my daughter used hers at Christmas/New Year on the Sea Princess.

Also we swear by an extension lead which we can plug in more than one appliance at the time.

Enjoy your cruise!

:D

Funny--not really---my Chi flat iron died in Papette--no smoke no nothing--tried it with every plug in the room--no luck--only the Chi dryer--so Miss Frizz until LAX--the straightener is probably more important than the dryer--although the ones the ships/hotels provide have no way to direct the heat properly when drying your hair--many women out there reading this will have have no idea what I'm talking about--the dryer to many is just to point somewhere toward your hair and it dries--I envy those who can do that--Straightening my hair is a real ain in the axx--but I will always continue to keep it up until it's time for a wig

Nancy :D

I understand and feel your pain. I am a poodle without a strong blow dryer! ;)

They are Philips Tresemme brand if anyone has knowledge of those. This is karen (wife to be) and I too understand where you ladies are coming from. Love the tip about the extension lead will be bringing one of those for sure.

K

Thought I would post what it says on my straighteners - cause this is crucial for me. Its the difference between good hair days and really stinkin' rotten bad hair days.

TYPE HP4669

/07 110-240V~0717

36W (190W max) 50/60 Hz

Cheers,

Karen:)

One thing to remember when using something like this that has the 110/220 volt option. It must be turned to the proper voltage before use, and when going from 110 to 220, there is usually something that tells you to use it only on the lowest of the settings, nothing higher. The ones I have had are like this and if it is turned higher, it will burn out in nothing flat.

Am nervous now Toto - could I contact the Sea Princess directly about this?

K

K-You will not have a problem on the Sea Princess. It has both voltages right there in your stateroom. There will be two different plug ins, one European, one U.S.

I would guess if you call one of the Princess CSR's they will have no idea as most do not know what the ships offer in this area and most have never even been onboard one of the ships, but you could give it a try.

This is one thing I can tell you from experience since we sailed twice on the Sea. I was surprised to see both plugs in there, and I know you won't have a problem one with it. ;)

The main problem with others is when trying to convert a 110 appliance to a 220 appliance. But you will be using a regular UK type plug in and voltage, so there won't be any problem.

Thought I would post what it says on my straighteners - cause this is crucial for me. Its the difference between good hair days and really stinkin' rotten bad hair days.

TYPE HP4669

/07 110-240V~0717

36W (190W max) 50/60 Hz

Cheers,

You could always refer back to the days of a rope and pulley system. :eek:

TYPE HP4669

/07 110-240V~0717

36W (190W max) 50/60 Hz

Cheers,

If all else fails, you could go down to the laundry and use an iron:eek: Worked for me in the 1970's!!!:D Does anyone else want to admit to that???? I had long straight blonde hair. Why on earth would I want to iron it?!!?? A teenager! Yikes.

Janet

If all else fails, you could go down to the laundry and use an iron:eek: Worked for me in the 1970's!!!:D Does anyone else want to admit to that???? I had long straight blonde hair. Why on earth would I want to iron it?!!?? A teenager! Yikes.

Janet

Good one. :D

It seems over the years I have stressed so much over my hair that I must have pissed it off.

Yes it ran away from home and now I have no stress at all.

Both voltages PHIL so all good.

Archived