Drury Inn and Suites, Post-Cruise

cali-croozer

Do you want FQ activities??? If so stay there. the Drury Inn is not near anything and desolate at night. You will be eating up any supposed savings here by needing cabs if you are out at night. The streetcar runs by but at night is on a reduced schedule and can be a wait at some dark unpopulated stops. If you choose this mode of transportation- have a schedule.

Hee, hee, hee.

Um . . . unless things have gotten alot more efficient in New Orleans since I attended college there (1991 - 1995), don't rely on a Street Car schedule. Night or Day.

I can't tell you how many times I was on my way to my part-time job at the Riverwalk only to have my driver stop the streetcar, go into Popeye's, wait in line, and get a snack to go! Or else I'd wait and wait and wait, only to have a streetcar come - with four more directly behind it! The streetcar will get you where you need to go, but don't try to set your watch by it!

No offense meant to the previous poster. It brought back a lot of fun memories.

Certainly YES, I too have been on the streetcars- Riverfront- one time and the driver got out and went and got his lunch. My 2 kids had a ball running up and down the car- only passengers on. :) He finally came walking back eating a peach. But at night- they do seem to run more on schedule- sometimes. :)

I've walked from there to the Quarter, but I have more of a tolerance for walking than most people. I've stayed there twice, once for a wedding, which was a couple of blocks away. After the wedding, a bunch of us walked down to the Quarter and went bar-hopping on Bourbon Street. The other time, I was there for a few nights for work--a conference at one of the hotels on Canal, and the conference hotel was full. We walked back and forth to the conference all the time, and walked to the Quarter, Riverwalk, etc. some too. We never took cabs anywhere. Streetcar once or twice. If you don't feel up to walking, it wouldn't be a very expensive cab ride to go to the Quarter.

I really can't remember how many restaurants are right nearby (within a block or two). I'm vegetarian, so I tend to ignore lots of NO restaurants :-)

It's pretty quiet in that area at night, but I wouldn't call it "desolate." There are a number of other hotels in the general vicinity, so there's usually a bit of traffic, pedestrian and otherwise.

Cabs are fixed at $7pp. I have been to NO many times and still would not consider staying in this area. There is more to FQ then Bourbon St. which is the nearest area to the Drury. If you are looking at other FQ activites, Jackson Sq. the Market etc- it's a big distance. In my experience- it's dead at night in the Central Business area - where you have to walk through to get to the FQ.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed the Drury Inn several times last week while riding the Garden District Street car. It is a very nice looking hotel, the area is a lot quieter than the FQ, but I personally would NEVER stay in the FQ. The streets were well lit, and the streetcar stops on the corner to take you to Burbon St. Sometimes they run on a fairly decent schedule, sometimes not, but we still rode them to and from Bourbon St. Have a great time. Be sure to eat at Mothers and I also loved the Gumbo shop!

Passed the Drury Inn several times last week while riding the Garden District Street car. It is a very nice looking hotel, the area is a lot quieter than the FQ, but I personally would NEVER stay in the FQ. The streets were well lit, and the streetcar stops on the corner to take you to Burbon St. Sometimes they run on a fairly decent schedule, sometimes not, but we still rode them to and from Bourbon St. Have a great time. Be sure to eat at Mothers and I also loved the Gumbo shop!

Thank you for replying.........where did you stay?

We stayed at Maison St. Charles on St. Charles Avenue just below the Garden District. It was quite nice and they have a nice restaurant connected. Street car stops just across the street, restaurants in walking distance in fact Emeril's Delmonico just across the street.

We finally booked with this hotel for a Feb 20th cruise.

Citywide convention during that weekend...apparently.

Everything was +$150.00 & Drury was having a special, weekend rates were actually lower, $109.99 I think....hot breakfast included....

I wasn't too worried about location until I looked it up on a map. We stayed across the street once at LaPavillon & found the walk to FQ no problem & safe at night.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there all! We are staying in Drury Inn and Suites. Great hotel! Evening drinks and snacks and great breakfast. They have some deals for $79-119 per night. Really nice. Located near trolley stop for the French Quarter.

We will be driving in from Austin, TX -- about 10 hours. I'm okay with cities and walking at night. Some are not. If you have a problem with it, you probably would NOTwant to be out too late in New Orleans to begin with.

:)

• 4 months later...

Cali, as you know I'll be staying there in three weeks so I can hardly wait to tell you what Drury Inn is like!!!

I just hope from reading over this thread that the walk from the hotel to Bourbon street is pretty safe. It will be me, DH and two teenage sons. It's not that far of a walk, I hope!! The word "desolate" scared me a bit.

Kitty.......looking forward to hearing about the Drury and your cruise. We're in the same situation, traveling with 2 teens. The Drury continues to get good reviews on tripadvisor.com so I'm crossing my fingers!:) You must be getting very excited. Have fun packing and getting ready!

Hi Cali. Yes, I'm getting very excited for our cruise and nervous. This is our first cruise so I have no idea what to expect. I'm still trying to figure out how we're going to get from the airport to Drury, to the ship, and back to the airport. Are you flying in or driving?

Hi,

I´ve spent 5 nights in the Drury Inn last November/December. It´s a really nice hotel with a great warm breakfast (waffles, bacon, eggs, sausages, bisquits, gravy). Free snacks and drinks in the evening, free soda on the room.

The streetcar to the FQ is right at the corner (Drury Inn is located at corner Carondelet / Poydras). But for the return trip you have to walk a block back to the hotel as the St. Charles streetcar going out has its stop at St. Charles St. Poydras is a 4 lane street with lots of traffic so I guess it´s no problem even walking at night. But anyway you can take a cab back from the FQ when you stay longer and don´t want to walk or wait for the streetcar. I think it´s save during daylight. We didn´t try it as we have a 5 year old and we did not experience nightlife with her.

We wanted to book it for our trip in June but the rates are quite high then (it was $79 last year, this year the cheapest double was $149). We only have one night this time and we´re in the Bienville House Hotel in the FQ (I think it´s $89).

steamboats

Archived