Another cruising while pregnant question

esbie11

I am trying to plan starting a family around our cruise vacations:D Can anyone share their experience of cruising during both the first and second trimesters of pregnancy? I know I can't necessarily make the timing perfect, but ideally I would like to be about 4 months along by the time we cruise (I am talking about 2010, so I have a while yet). I have never been pregnant before, so I have no idea how pregnancy will treat me as far as morning sickness, etc. Any input as to whether it is best to cruise during first or second trimester?

(I realize this is probably a ridiculous question since I can't really "plan" the conception to fit into my vacation plans, but just humor me:D )

Hmm...this is hard to answer as pregnancy treats everyone so differently...that said, I cruised during my 2nd trimester and everything went well. If you are prone to morning sickness, etc. I would say not to cruise during your first trimester as that is when it usually affects you. Also 1st trimester, you are usually quite tired. By the 2nd trimester, you are usually feeling quite good again. Most cruiselines will not let you travel if you are past 24 weeks and also may require a letter from your OB stating that you are ok to cruise/fly.

Good luck in your planning!

I am trying to plan starting a family around our cruise vacations:D Can anyone share their experience of cruising during both the first and second trimesters of pregnancy? I know I can't necessarily make the timing perfect, but ideally I would like to be about 4 months along by the time we cruise (I am talking about 2010, so I have a while yet). I have never been pregnant before, so I have no idea how pregnancy will treat me as far as morning sickness, etc. Any input as to whether it is best to cruise during first or second trimester?

(I realize this is probably a ridiculous question since I can't really "plan" the conception to fit into my vacation plans, but just humor me:D )

I've never been crusing while pregnat..but i would recommended waiting till the 2nd trimester. The 1st trimester tends to be the hardest on your body. Usually you get a "pep in your step" once you reach the 2nd trimester. And once again..the 3rd will bring you back down! lol

Definatly plan around the 2nd trimester is possible. Your chances are better at the pregnancy not effecting your vacation that much.

The advice I was given was to go ahead and plan our vacation--but make sure to buy insurance. Who knows what the future may bring? You might be 4 months along, or 1 month, or not at all. Good luck.

This brings up my next question. We are planning on booking the cruise within the next few days. I know that for many insurances you need to buy it within so many days of making the reservations. Any advice as to what kind of insurance I should get? Just in case I would have a difficult pregnancy and not be able to make the trip? We are not using a TA this time around (we are having a bad experience with the one we are currently using), so I don't know who to ask about this?

LOL, what a totally cute question!

I, for one, can say that I would not want to cruise during my first trimester. Sorry to burst the "newbie" bubble :D but "morning sickness" is a myth...it's all day sickness and it comes in waves, and you don't know when, or where. I would not want to be on a cruise nauseous...no fun!

Tired....yes, tired! I dont know if pregnancy affects everyone the same way but exhausted could describe it for me. I have enough energy all day but, when my head hits that pillow, and it hits it early, I am O-U-T.

I would plan for something to go on after your 12th week, before your 24th week (if you go RCCL)

With insurance, the good news is that you don't have to purchase it until a few weeks before final payment, so there is plenty of time to investigate. Just make sure you have one that will cover the pregnancy, a pregnancy related cancellation, and will cover expenses, including being airlifted off the ship, in case you need it.

My husband (He was the one who did the insurance research when we were pregnant and cruising) says we went with "Specialty Risk International" found via InsureMyTrip dot com

good luck!

My husband (He was the one who did the insurance research when we were pregnant and cruising) says we went with "Specialty Risk International" found via InsureMyTrip dot com

good luck!

Good to know, thanks sas. Honestly, I am such a planner so the whole idea behind the spontaneity of becoming pregnant is just going to drive me nuts! Hmmm...looks like my chore for the day will be to calculate which weeks will be ok to conceive in order to be between 12-23 weeks pregnant by Feb 14, 2010. Looks like we'll have to try between mid September and mid November, and if things don't work out by then, we'll have to call it quits until after we get back from our 12 nighter!;) I am going to chalk this planning up to boredom at work, rather than the fact that I am just crazy:D

Good to know, thanks sas. Honestly, I am such a planner so the whole idea behind the spontaneity of becoming pregnant is just going to drive me nuts! Hmmm...looks like my chore for the day will be to calculate which weeks will be ok to conceive in order to be between 12-23 weeks pregnant by Feb 14, 2010. Looks like we'll have to try between mid September and mid November, and if things don't work out by then, we'll have to call it quits until after we get back from our 12 nighter!;) I am going to chalk this planning up to boredom at work, rather than the fact that I am just crazy:D

If you are really dead set on getting pregnant at a particular time, I suggest getting an ovulation predictor kit ($20 at the drug store) so that you know exactly when you are about to release an egg and can make sure you cover the appropriate days. I also found www dot peeonastick dot com a useful site when I had questions about ovulation predictor kits. I didn't know that taking robitussin for the 2 weeks prior to ovulation would make my "egg white" a more slippery, slick consistency that would actually help the little guys live longer and swim easier/faster.

Good luck!

If you are really dead set on getting pregnant at a particular time, I suggest getting an ovulation predictor kit ($20 at the drug store) so that you know exactly when you are about to release an egg and can make sure you cover the appropriate days. I also found www dot peeonastick dot com a useful site when I had questions about ovulation predictor kits. I didn't know that taking robitussin for the 2 weeks prior to ovulation would make my "egg white" a more slippery, slick consistency that would actually help the little guys live longer and swim easier/faster.

Good luck!

Oh I will surely get some of those kits! I am sure I will be driving my fiance so crazy by then he probably won't wanna get anywhere near me! But as far as buying insurance (specifically the kind you got when you were pregnant), I do not need to buy it when I put down our deposit? I can wait until final payment?

Good luck!

I used those! My kids were VERY well planned. :D

I also started going to babycenter.com birth boards when I decided what month we would ttc (try to conceive). So I could meet other moms going through the same thing at the same time.

I grew so close to those women that we actually take vacations together with our little ones...lol. :)

Oh I will surely get some of those kits! I am sure I will be driving my fiance so crazy by then he probably won't wanna get anywhere near me! But as far as buying insurance (specifically the kind you got when you were pregnant), I do not need to buy it when I put down our deposit? I can wait until final payment?

Nope! I am pretty sure that you can wait until a few weeks before final payment to arrange for your insurance. Of course, be sure to ask the company that is insuring you what kind of timing they require.

Cruise insurance isnt too expensive anyways - I am pretty sure we get it for about $125 for all of us for a 7 night. It's definitely a must have for cruising when pregnant and cruising with kids!

I used those! My kids were VERY well planned. :D

I also started going to babycenter.com birth boards when I decided what month we would ttc (try to conceive). So I could meet other moms going through the same thing at the same time.

I grew so close to those women that we actually take vacations together with our little ones...lol. :)

It's amazing the friendships you can make simply by having shared interests. Makes you realize what a small world it really is, and how similar we all really are.

I cruised while pregnant with my first I was 16 weeks. That pregnancy was a breeze so it wouldnt matter when I cruised. I am now 9 weeks pregnant with #2 and let me tell you it has been horrible! Morning sickness, extreme tiredness and just all around feeling like you have the flu 24/7. There is no way I could cruise in the first trimester. I am hoping I will feel better by the 2nd trimester we havent booked yet just in case.

Also I second the travel insurance. We had to cancel one because I had a miscarriage 3 days before we were to set sail and the dr forbade me from traveling. We had booked way before I found out I was pg and didnt have travel insurance. Luckily we were able to appeal and the cruise line gave us a credit towards another cruise otherwise we would have been out all our money. Now we dont cruise without it. We use travel guard from insure my tripdot com.

Julie

Maybe there is another question I should be asking....am I going to be too limited as far as excursions and things if I am pregnant? I am really excited to go to these specific places because i have heard many good things about them. But if the only thing I will be able to do is sit on a beach chair all day, it may not be worth the money to go. I would just like to be able to snorkel, swim with dolphins, etc. I guess maybe the zipline would be out of the question. Geez I don't even have kids yet and they are already cramping my style!;) :p :D

This brings up my next question. We are planning on booking the cruise within the next few days. I know that for many insurances you need to buy it within so many days of making the reservations. Any advice as to what kind of insurance I should get? Just in case I would have a difficult pregnancy and not be able to make the trip? We are not using a TA this time around (we are having a bad experience with the one we are currently using), so I don't know who to ask about this?

We just booked a cruise through RCI last night (yeah!) and bought the insurance they sell. For $79pp this seemed to meet our needs/concerns. We are going on Mariner on August 10!

Maybe there is another question I should be asking....am I going to be too limited as far as excursions and things if I am pregnant? I am really excited to go to these specific places because i have heard many good things about them. But if the only thing I will be able to do is sit on a beach chair all day, it may not be worth the money to go. I would just like to be able to snorkel, swim with dolphins, etc. I guess maybe the zipline would be out of the question. Geez I don't even have kids yet and they are already cramping my style!;) :p :D

Who knows how you will feel, but, if you are doing okay, and our doctors gives the okay, I would imagine that swimming/snorkeling would be fine. But I wonder the same thing about myself in August. But, just sitting on the beach is kind of what I want anyway.

From what I can tell..the excursions ARE limited when you are pregnant. Snorkling...maybe..Dolphins...No! Even if you were able to hide the pregnancy do not to the dolphins! Anything can happen and you can get banged up! Any excursions involving wild animals like that I would try to avoid if I were you. They are very pleasant but can be very unpredictable as well.

(Just wanted to throw that at you for the sake of the "soon to be" baby!)

Plan to go for what you hope will be the second trimester, and begin to realize that you can't plan with any certainty for anything when you have/are expecting children. Purchase good travel insurance. As far as excursions go, begin to get ready to the idea that you are not going to be able to do what you want, when you want to when you have children.

The first trimester is just too "iffy". You do not want to be on a cruise if something goes wrong. Much safer in the second trimester.

When we were in Tenerife we were on a catermeran trip and the guide was telling us that the dolphins totally sense pregnant or menstruating women and love them !!!

i would rather not be pregnant on a cruise - motion sickness would be enough to cope with !

Yes no dolphins. I remember that on the restrictions.

And as far as insurance....my TA uses a company that insures kids for FREE. So we pay for us, the kids are free. Our total price was $114 and that includes the cruise, the 5 days at Walt Disney World AND the flights down and back.

One mistake we made in the past was to use the CRUISE line insurance (Disney Protection Plan) and it only covered the cruise. So when we went to claim an emergency...they wouldn't cover the hotel after the emergency or the flights back (on a day when the child was cleared to fly). I had to pay all of that out of pocket.

My TA is using Travel Insure...

http://www.travelinsure.com/

You can't scuba dive pregnant. Swimming and snorkeling are fine. Zip line is probably a bad idea. Most excursions should be fine. My last cruise was when I was 16 weeks pregnant. I didn't climb the rock wall, but I got a massage, snorkeled, and swam. Just use common sense, check with your doctor and you'll be fine.

Ya know, I was just thinking of the huge ammount of comments that I got from women (usually older women) who yelled at me for "raising my hands over my head" because I would be "choking the baby with the unbilical cord" :rolleyes:

I got in trouble for hanging wallpaper and drapes...lol.

....oh the joys of pregnancy! Have fun with all of the unsolicited advice you'll be sure to get. ;) :D

I should let my sister post this, as it was her vacation that I ruined. All I know is that I had been on a few cruises before being pregnant and never had a moment of MS. And I have horrible motion sickness in anything that moves.

We cruised when I was 6-7 weeks. (Very planned, as we used IVF, just quite unexpected as it had never worked before). I was miserable. If I had been any sicker I think we would have had to leave the cruise. As it was, I spent most days curled up in the cabin. I was too weak one day to simply walk off the ship in Nassau, even though I desperately wanted to feel solid ground.

So, my only advice, like the others is to skip the 1st trimester. Maybe the 2nd as my MS (all-day-sickness!) continued until about 20 weeks with both my pregnancies.

Archived