Priceline 2005

micdee

Was wondering if anyone has had any luck using Priceline for a hotel in SJ yet? Looking to stay there 1 night pre-cruise on 2/11/05. Have bid resort level up to $95.00 with no success. I know I have plenty of time yet,but was just wondering if anyone has had a successfull bid, and if so how much and which resort?

Thanks,
Mickey

Bid $85.00 for a resort with no luck then dropped down to $70.00 for a 3* and was accepted by Embassy Suites. You may already know this but if not biddingfortravel.com will help you with your bidding strategy

• 4 weeks later...
Just to let any others who may be trying for a resort level this winter, I have been bidding $100 and still no luck.
This is the third year we will be sailing from San Juan in Feb.. My first time there I bid $75 thru priceline and got the Wyndham Condado. Last year my bid of $95 wasn't accepted but priceline counter-offered with $117. I accepted and received the Wyndham Condado again. Both of these offers were made in late October.
I know there is still availability at the resort level for my travel date. Just wondering when it will be released to priceline and how high I'll have to bid?

• 2 weeks later...
Just bid $85 for 3 *** and no takers... I understand there have been some who have gotten 3 *** hotels at $85 - will keep trying.. I'm looking for 1/21&22/05 and 30th & 31st also.. Good Luck.. Frank

Would like to stay at the Caribe Hilton precruise in Feb and would like to bid on priceline. My question does anyone have a trick to getting this hotel on Priceline, I have never used Priceline so I donot know the in and outs of the service. Any help would be great.

I just tried $85. for Resort on January 30th, and rejected. Oh, how I hate rejection! But we've always had good luck in the past - $75. at the 3* Radisson last year, and $75. at the Resort Hyatt Dorado for this year on January 15th. Also, last year found a last minute deal on Orbitz for the Caribe Hilton for $125 - prepay and no cancellation. I've read elsewhere that San Juan usually does not open up it's Priceline inventory until the month before.

This is all new to me, so I'm open to suggestions...
I've never stayed in San Juan before (only been there as a cruise port stop)...
I've never used Priceline before...

I just booked the Constellation out of San Juan for March 19...I have two reservations and have to decide between the two and ticket it by December 2...
One would require two hotel nights in San Juan, the other just one night...

I'd like to stay somewhere very upscale...and very convenient...
I'm willing to spend more than some of the things I've read in this thread (like the $85 bids and such), especially if it's just one noght--the difference to me in spending $100 and spending $150 is not that big a deal--I mean, between the cruise, air and other costs, I'm spending thousands, another $50 ot $100 won't make or break the trip...I just don't want to pay any exorbitant amounts--the extra $$$ could be put to better use for Shore Excursions, shopping, bar bill, etc.

I've considered going on Priceline and just plugging in "Resort" and bidding something like $150...but, if they really don't release stuff until the month before, I don't want to risk having nothing...

Anyone here have any suggestions? Thanks...

I got a Resort in Dorado, being the Hyatt for April 2005 for $65 a night! I was very happy with this deal. This year I stayed in San Juan at the Radisson Ambassador, which was okay!, but I woud rather stay away from downtown as it can be pretty shady at night!

That's a great price,however it is far from San Juan. I've read on these boards that most people who stay there rent a car. Taxi fare from the airport to hotel is $90 each way.

I'm still trying Priceline for San Juan. Have increased bid to $100 but no luck. Have read on the bidding for travel site that the Wyndham Condado is now rated as a 3 star hotel on Priceline.

Mickey

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Parrothead8']Been looking at full prices and they are insane!! Over $300 for the Caribe??Crazy!:eek: :eek:[/QUOTE]

That was my big fear and why I gave up on going the Priceline route...
I just went ahead and booked the San Juan Marriott for $189 including tax...non-cancellable...Booked directly with Marriott...

I had an inkling things weren't going to get much better gambling on Priceline...

Good luck...

[font=Times New Roman]trying [/font][font='Times New Roman']priceline for a 1 night stay in SJ, A[font='Times New Roman']pril 23, 2005. The [font='Times New Roman']problem I'm having is that you have to fill out the state where you live. Since I'm not from the US, I can't do that. Does anyone know how to get around this [font='Times New Roman']p[/font]roblem or is it just im[font='Times New Roman']possible to use [font='Times New Roman']priceline when you're not a US citizen:( ?[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

I also have been trying Priceline for 1/29/05, no luck. I am booked into Tres Palms but would like to get a hotel. I have bid up to $90 and no success.
Hotel prices in San Juan are so high, I can't believe what they are asking for one night.

[quote name='Marysunshine']What makes it so absurd is that they are not really full in any sense. [/QUOTE]

Could be the hotels have finally figured out they are undercutting their own pricing and marketing...When you get to the point where people aren't booking rooms, just waiting for them to come to them on Priceline, then, if you're the hotel, you've got a problem...You really want direct bookings to be your main method of filling your hotel...You only want to use Priceline, or similar gimmicks, as a tool to fill up the last minute vacancies...

So, perhaps they're being clever in pushing the market upward a little and making it a little tougher to get in using Priceline...

If people on Priceline are getting turned down in the mid $100s...and the hotels are willing to book the rooms direct for $189 including tax, it starts becoming wise to go ahead and just book direct...When enough folks start catching on a booking direct, then the hotels again control their own market...

Last year, I was looking for a hotel in SJ. Being a Canadian, I had problems filling in the form with Priceline. I just plugged in whatever to see what would happen. Lo and behold it took my info. I ended up at the Normandie in January for $100US a night. Now the problem was to correct the address. I phoned the hotel directly and they were more then happy to change the address.
I liked the hotel. It wasn't renovated at that point but the rooms were very large and comfortable. We had a view of the ocean and the beach. Had a nice little beach with fairly calm water within sight of the Hilton. The pool was wonderful too! Only had two complaints.....
#1 Hotel is on a very very busy road. Trying to cross to the other side was like gambling with your life.
#2 There was a bit of mildew on the upper parts of the walls. The room was very clean other then that.
Being on a CANADIAN budget, we walked up the street(towards old SJ) and found a great local restaurant(next to KFC) for a burger and a beer. Cost us $15US for dinner. Great burgers with baskets of condiments(lettuce, tomatos, ect) so you could prepare your burger the way you liked.
There is not a lot of restaurants/stores in the immediate area so be prepared to walk. The bus for downtown SJ is just a block away and costs $.25 to get to old SJ. The front desk staff were more then helpful in giving us direction and advice to help us stay within our budget.
As we were travelling with a 9 month old, we found the beach at the Normandie to be far calmer then Condado as it had a breakwater. If you are looking for calmer water try Isla Verde. The Green Isle Inn was mentioned by some fellow travellers as a great place to stay. Has 2 stars but was clean with kitchenette/pool and and only a block or two from Isla Verde beach. I think the direct booking price was around $75-$85US. If you can't get a room through Priceline, this place might be a good choice.
Good luck fellow Canadian!!

Archived