Change in Cruise Price Question

delkins23

I am booked on the Carnival Glory for December 13th. I booked when the fuel supplement was only $5 a day. When we booked we paid our deposit and received an upgrade to the Panorama deck as a past guest discount. We have yet to pay our final payment. I looked on the Carnival web-site and the cabin is $20 cheaper per person than when we booked and they are still running the past guest upgrade. My question is there any way that I can take advantage of this discount or am I just out of luck since I haven't made my final payment. If I can take advantage would I have to pay the additional $2 a day fuel surcharge? I booked through a travel agent. I sent her an e-mail asking the same thing but I wanted to double check what she might say.

I know when you book through a Carnival rep, you can receive an on board credit (OBC) for the difference in the price change. You may be out of luck with an outside travel agent. I would ask the TA to call Carnival . . . maybe you can even be on the phone with them. I KNOW that Carnival will honor the price drop . . . your TA may be the hold up.

:o

When I recently requested the past guest discount, I was charged the additional $2 per day. That was what I expected since this is suppose to be for new bookings however my PVP will adjust price accordingly as if I just booked. (this did not matter since I saved $112 even after the fuel addition. You may get lucky and they not charge it. Also, for those that ask they did not issue a new booking number.

I look at it as I would have had to wait to book till they offered the discount and still be charged the supplement or I could book and get the cabin and price adjustment and still be charged the additional supplement. I wanted a particular cabin.

I am booked on the Carnival Glory for December 13th. I booked when the fuel supplement was only $5 a day. When we booked we paid our deposit and received an upgrade to the Panorama deck as a past guest discount. We have yet to pay our final payment. I looked on the Carnival web-site and the cabin is $20 cheaper per person than when we booked and they are still running the past guest upgrade. My question is there any way that I can take advantage of this discount or am I just out of luck since I haven't made my final payment. If I can take advantage would I have to pay the additional $2 a day fuel surcharge? I booked through a travel agent. I sent her an e-mail asking the same thing but I wanted to double check what she might say.

If it is a price change, YES, you will be also be subject to the new fuel supplement fees (some have reported that their PVP has been able to bypass the supplement increase, and could vary by PVP)... UNLESS the agent does not disclose this info to you or your TA before the change is made. So, the question you have to ask your self is, will it be worth the new fuel supplement increase to get the lower fare. Also, is the TA willing to make the change w/out an agency fee ? WHen you get all that info from them, then it is time to either pull the trigger and make the adjustment or to stick to your original rates.

Most people I have seen post had to pay the new $7 a day, so they got less OBC than they would otherwise have gotten, but yes, you are entitled to the new lower price. Your TA has to call and get it. Id call my TA instead of waiting for her to email you back as the price could do back up, then you are SOL.

My PVP told me today that once final payment has been made they can't give OBC or upgrade due to a price reduction. She said this policy went into effect about six months ago. We are sailing in two weeks and just saw a small price drop and emailed her about it and she called back with that info.

Sounds like to me your PVP is just too lazy to take care of it for you. That statement about it not being able to be done after final payment rule that supposedly went into effect 6 months ago is GARBAGE !!! Tell them to speak to their supervisor as it can be done in most cases !

My PVP told me today that once final payment has been made they can't give OBC or upgrade due to a price reduction. She said this policy went into effect about six months ago. We are sailing in two weeks and just saw a small price drop and emailed her about it and she called back with that info.

As the previous poster said, many folks posting here have said, ask for a supervisor, they ALL got the reduction. It now takes a supervisor's ok, but there is no rule that no more price reductions or how would so many here have gotten them in the last 6 months. The rule is the a PVP cant do it, it now takes a supervisor.

I just got off the phone from carnival and got my 2nd price reduction. First one was $100 per cabin (we have 2 booked); tonight got an additional $220 per cabin...total obc $640 for both cabins...cruise is paid in full - we leave next week...:p

I have a stupid question. How do I know if my rate is reduced. I made my ressie directly with Carnival and I got a past guest discount and upgrade, so my rate isn't reflected on their website. Do I need to call every so often and ask, or is there another way to check?

Also - I give up - what's a PVP?

Scully28 - Easiest way to check prices periodically is to go to Expedia and find your cruise and enter Past Cruiser info - their site will show Carnival's current past cruiser discounts/upgrades alongside the "regular" rates. I wish Carnival's site worked the same way! Alternatively, onnCarnival site you can pretend you're booking your cruise and enter DP3 as the promo code, and the Past Cruiser offerings should display. Ken

Has anybody had any luck if the price dropped using the SAME code they initiallly booked with? Does every supervisor say that after final payment you must pay the additional fuel surcharge, or does it depend who you speak to?

Thanks.

That is so unfair. I was told when we booked, last June that we could get the drop in price up to the day we sail.

I booked our cruise thru Carnival website and there was no past guest/upgrade promo going at the time so we booked balcony gty, called this past Sat to see if I could get the current past guest/upgrade promo and she changed us to the new promo code and gave us an 8b assigned cabin. We saved $80, did not get an increase in the fuel surchage and got an AFT cabin to boot. I'm so happy! :D

I have a stupid question. How do I know if my rate is reduced. I made my ressie directly with Carnival and I got a past guest discount and upgrade, so my rate isn't reflected on their website. Do I need to call every so often and ask, or is there another way to check?

Also - I give up - what's a PVP?

Whichever category you were upgraded to, thats now the price you need to monitor. If you are in a 6D now for instance, thats what you would check. If there is a promo going on with a free upgrade to that category at that time great, then you can use that. But, if you originally booked a 6A, and now in a 6D, you dont check the 6A price unless you are willing to give up the free upgrade you got.

The only way your price for your current category would not be on the Carnival site is if it was sold out.

Just off the phone and nothing to show for it but a whole lot of crummy news. First I was told that my PVP is no longer with Carnival, which really stinks because he was so great. Then I was told that because we moved our cruise up a week (before final payment), we would have to pay the fuel surcharge after all, so no OBC for us. Then to throw salt in the wound, the price drop I thought I had discovered does truly exist, but only for passengers 1 and 2. For passenger 3 the price went UP 200. He could no adjust the price for 1/2 without changing for 3 and incurring the increased surcharge.:( Bummer!

The only good news in the situation was that the guy I spoke to was completely jealous of my PVP because he had no idea what promotional code we are booked under and no idea how to access it for himself!:cool: Also, we do get to go on vacation in just over a month! Not all terrible, but the conversation did not go as well as I had hoped. Sometimes it is just better to be happy with what you have and grateful that you get to cruise at all. I think I let all you discount pros get into my head!

Iv never gotten a price drop on Carnival. Not everyone always gets a price drop. Probably people read about them so much they think everyone gets them.

Sorry, you are not happy with the news, try and put it behind you now and have a great cruise.

My experience has been that if you request the price drop before final payment is due, Carnival will honor the reduced rate by reducing your cruise fare. Once final payment has been made, they will issue the reduction as a shipboard credit for the difference if you request it. I received both on my last cruise in December 2007.

I have heard some say that booking changes incur the new, higher fuel supplement, others haven't had to pay it. I made a change to an existing booking last week and did not have to pay the higher fuel supplement.

Since your cruise is still fully refundable, you have bargaining power IMHO as Carnival knows that you could cancel the booking if they make you mad. :-)

Whichever category you were upgraded to, thats now the price you need to monitor. If you are in a 6D now for instance, thats what you would check. If there is a promo going on with a free upgrade to that category at that time great, then you can use that. But, if you originally booked a 6A, and now in a 6D, you dont check the 6A price unless you are willing to give up the free upgrade you got.

The only way your price for your current category would not be on the Carnival site is if it was sold out.

Thank you for that info. We are first time cruisers and I checked the site today to see a $20 price drop on the HOliday cruise we are taking. But I wasn't sure how that would work since we purchased an inside TBA room for $499 (the 1a price then) and they assigned us a 4D Empress inside room.

So I went back and checked the 4d prices. They are about $50 more pp than we paid. Don't think I'll complain LOL

I just called Carnival and found out that the price of my cruise dropped by $160. I originally booked a cabin on 4A, and received an upgrade to 4B since they were having a "sale" at the time. When they calculated the discount, they utilized the 4A rate and not the 4B rate. I was given the option of taking an OBC or being upgraded two levels to an ocean view cabin.

Archived