Complaining Couple Banned from RCI

Usually if a company goes as far as banning someone, its from all their properties. So in this case I would assume its all RCI owned lines.

For some reason this made me think of the film "O Brother Where Art Thou" when they get thrown out of Woolworth's and the one character wonders if they are banned from all the "Woolsworth" or just that one.

The article makes it sound as if the review was a big issue. I just don't see that. There have been worse reviews about Royal Caribbean ships and I find it difficult to believe that the company contacts the authors and asks for them to be rescinded. I find the whole "Big Brother" slant of the article too farfetched to be accurate. JMHO

Karen

I saw in the article that RCCL was tired of the complaint letters they kept getting.

I am sure on every cruise each of us takes we could come up with a list short or long of things that didn't go right be them within or not the control of RCCL or any other line. I could complain about the weather on the last day of the GOS cruise at NYE...but other than mention it was bad weather in a review there is nothing more to say in my case because Captain Ron was not at fault, or was he...:D

Really he played it safe and kept the pax out of harms way so he is to be applauded for his good work, the weather the last day was bad...but I wouldn't complain about that to RCCL. I did about the purchased on-board land tour because it was terrible...but so far any other issue has been resolved on board or just not bad enough to complain more than a mention in passing here about.

My guess is that there is a lot more to the story that RCCL could have said, but being professional they left their statements short and kind.

If I understand that most of the cruises resulted in complaint letters not good...for someone on the first cruise to be so upset they write a letter that is 100% of the time complaining but looking at the #s not unacceptable...that cruiser gets a call or letter from RCCL an appology etc...and comes back is happy and keeps on cruising. But if someone complains 5 or 6 of 6 cruises...that is bad. I can understand why RCCL said see-ya!

Other businesses fire clients as well, it is just not in the news, usually. I've closed off an abusive client myself, especially after he called my home and was abusive towards DW.

RCCL has a great product, not perfect but we aren't paying $10K per pax on an inside cabin so perfect we can't expect.

What makes it worse is that they told us they had a great cruise, only disappointment was the shows.

Unfortuantely, they have learned "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

.....but sometimes........the squeaky wheel gets replaced......:D

you post"re-telling, one example of which involved a supposed injury that occurred during a cruise. What started as a minor injury morphed into a major accident that required corrective surgery...and of course, the response by the staff on board was portrayed as cold and unfeeling."

well...I happen to have been there...that day. MINOR??? SUPPOSED??

blood was gushing -How can u comment on this??? if u saw what i saw you'dbeen freakin out...the nerve..all there were freakin out.

I've not read all billion posts but scanned them.saw yours and had to comment, no offense but jeez.you guys get off this person and go on a cruise and chill...critic is right as far as...oh never mind...gotta go live my life now,love to all, really.

I heard about this on the radio this morning. I figured I could get more details here since the couple were being slammed by the DJ's this morning. They were saying if you had so many complaints why were you still sailing with them anyway.

Oh really? Was it a call in or just read as news? Where abouts are you (if you feel okay sharing that info) for curiosity sake.

I wouldn't be surprised if this unsatisfied cruiser files some kind of wrongful discrimination lawsuit against RCCL.

WHAT ?? Don't give her any more ideas !!!:eek: :eek: ( or maybe she's got a track record there as well....:rolleyes: )

Cheers

:confused:

blood was gushing -How can u comment on this??? if u saw what i saw you'dbeen freakin out...the nerve..all there were freakin out.

Really? So on the review thread she started after the Nov 20, 2005 Celebrity Summit cruise, any reason why she didn't actually mention the gushing blood or the injury at all? She never mentioned it until 2 months later, when she tried to get compensation, which she posted about in January 06.

Celebrity Summit Review...Nov 05

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=263784

Talking about the injury on Summit...Jan 06

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=278611

Really? So on the review thread she started after the Nov 20, 2005 Celebrity Summit cruise, any reason why she didn't actually mention the gushing blood or the injury at all? She never mentioned it until 2 months later, when she tried to get compensation, which she posted about in January 06.

bull and u know it...or should

you post"re-telling, one example of which involved a supposed injury that occurred during a cruise. What started as a minor injury morphed into a major accident that required corrective surgery...and of course, the response by the staff on board was portrayed as cold and unfeeling."

I've not read all billion posts but scanned them.saw yours and had to comment, no offense but jeez.you guys get off this person and go on a cruise and chill...critic is right as far as...oh never mind...gotta go live my life now,love to all, really.

Hey, bean bag, don't you know that it's a violation of TOS to have multiple screen names??? :rolleyes:

The conversation here is sooo .... entertaining .... while ocassionally insiteful too.

I tend to believe RCCL would not issue a lifetime ban without proper reason. While at the same time - the consensus of the average joe MIGHT be ... oh gee - that poor family was stomped upon by the big cruise line. I don't see a lot of that going on. So there must be extraordinary data we're not seeing ... yet.

...and you make a terrific point about deck chair hogging as it relates to getting you on the "no sail" list. It's in the guest conduct policy that you can't or rather shouldn't reserve deck chairs ,but I agree that it's a tad of an overreaction to ban the average hog. So I've clarified the point in the story.

Thanks for the comments --

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I have been trying to stay out of this,but getting banned for being a chair hog??? :eek: Come on,I don't believe that one for one minute. I think the execs at RCCL would laugh at that one if someone asked.........

Regarding all the speculation over what got the couple banned, doesn't anyone think it was the sum of all the parts, and not just one or two reviews, posts, letters or complaints?

IMO as to what got them banned was the fact that after lodging complaints on five of six cruises, RCI felt that they could no longer satisfy this couple and simply felt that they would be better off cruising with another line. Why work to keep someone that has shown that they cannot be satisfied in any way? RCI did not lose much.

If you look at RCCL's guest conduct policy, there are several things on there that wouldn't really warrant being banned just for that reason. Most of them are what I call lesser offenses, but they are included so that no one is confused about what they aren't supposed to do. In other words, sure we aren't going to ban you, but you might get in trouble for doing it so we just want to warn you about it.

Look at it this way. Chair hogging is a misdemenor. If you get enough convictions, you go to jail. In the end, it may not have been any one incident that got them banned. It may have been an accumulation of many incidents. Minor infractions like chair hogging aren't a big deal on their own but help build a case when there are repeated problems with a single individual.

In my job, we will always lay a charge if our "clients" step over the line. We don't do it for the fines it could levy, but simply to have a conviction on record. The more convictions, the more likely we are to finally nail them at some point down the road. It's usually a long process but eventually we get there. My guess is that it was no different for RCI. They finally got their man, or in this case woman.

2P.P1

I tried to find the banned cruiser's posts. From her review, it only linked to some other reviews. From the bulletin board, it linked me to posts going back only a month or so. I have read the links to her posts that others have provided. Based on everything I've read, I'm still not getting it.

I prefer to withhold my judgment unless I can consider and review the facts. In this case, I can't locate sufficient facts to make a judgment, so I won't.

Would that those who are intent on burning her at the stake would comment only if they have personal knowledge of the facts -- rather than heresay.

Most people who have read the person in question posts over the past years, and make their judgements based on the persons own words. Which are pretty convincing. :D Of course, by all means take the moral high ground, and enjoy your lonely perch.;)

jc

Look at it this way. Chair hogging is a misdemenor. If you get enough convictions, you go to jail. In the end, it may not have been any one incident that got them banned. It may have been an accumulation of many incidents. Minor infractions like chair hogging aren't a big deal on their own but help build a case when there are repeated problems with a single individual.

In my job, we will always lay a charge if our "clients" step over the line. We don't do it for the fines it could levy, but simply to have a conviction on record. The more convictions, the more likely we are to finally nail them at some point down the road. It's usually a long process but eventually we get there. My guess is that it was no different for RCI. They finally got their man, or in this case woman.

2P.P1

Very illuminating comment. If one customer is repeatedly demanding the time and attention of ship's staff, at some point you have to weigh the cumulative effect that has on the experience of others. In a particularly egregious example, discussed on the Carnival board, a passenger was organizing demonstrations and confronting staff and crew loudly in public places. A few people may have found it entertaining, but the vast majority were probably glad to see him gone at the first port.

Hey, bean bag, don't you know that it's a violation of TOS to have multiple screen names??? :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, do tell. :) You have my email Carol. ;) :D

And to bean bag - how is it "bull"? If I had a major injury on a cruise ship, then came back to give a review, then why would I not talk about broken toes and gushing blood?

Where in her review of THAT cruise does it talk about the injury? :confused:

"9201 was the worst! Actually all 5 on 9th deck were. From the wooden floor above us with tables & chairs sliding all day & tables falling at night as they pressue wash all the puke, beer, and various other crap down on our balconies & furniture is soaking wet & not usable. They do this at 2AM & 5AM daily! They also have the worst singer/guitarist named Paul. When he does Roy Orbinson he turns into a comedian it is so bad....

If you hate smoke stay away as they advertise daily for cigar & pipe smokers to go there to smoke & it trails down on our deck's balconies. And the engine noise, like the Trojans drummer from USC all night.

Buffet is a joke also, with no trays being carried & when asked why they don't I am told it is a waste of time when tables need to be cleaned, etc. They do not refill coffee or get juices either.

Summit was quite disappointing with staff & John Howell as CD. BORING!

Even the lecturers for the cruise were always stating "I don't know" as an answer to questions by those attending."

I just heard about this yesterday. So with all their problems, why would they cruise the cruiseline again? If I don't like a cruise line, I wouldn't cruise them again for quite some time. I think they got a ban not from the complaining, but more from complaining to receive credits. RCCL may have been giving credit to them to keep them quiet about some of their complaining and since they did receive compensation the couple should have complied with RCCL's request to remove the post.

In all, who can go anywhere these days without some form of complaint. These ships have 1500+ employees so at some point someone is bound to do something unacceptable. The weather is bound to be poor, service poor, area slightly filthy, your travels to the ship could be hard and tireing. Too many small things seem to ruin too many peoples vacations these days. The stressed out people all need to just learn to go with the flow and enjoy it. Things do break unexpectedly. Oh well, I guess I will just have to continue living my very low stress life. No matter what you think of this post, I can say one thing, Freedom in September is going to be a blast (problems included).

Joe

I don't think it was the cruises they were on that were really that awful.. it was each other's company they hated., and they have yet to realise that. I am sure glad they are not my neighbors!.. And I am SURE they will now sue RCL.. no doubt about it.

Archived