Why aren't there more 5 & 6 days with different ports?

bubbles1209

:( Where I work has just informed us that we may no longer take our normal 2 days off then 5 vacation days, and add our 2 days(for the next week) off to that to stretch out our vacation any longer. We may only be out of work no longer than 7 days at a time.:mad: :( I think it will be hard to make it stick considering employees there have been doing this for over 30 years for some of them, but that's my opinion. That said, brings me to my original question, why aren't there different ports for the 5 & 6 day cruises rather than several ships going to the same ports? I hate that I'm not gonna be able to do another 7 day after this June. I looked up the 5 & 6 day cruises, and they're all about the same. Gonna be hard to find a little variety. Wonder why they don't open it up a little?

That said, brings me to my original question, why aren't there different ports for the 5 & 6 day cruises rather than several ships going to the same ports? I hate that I'm not gonna be able to do another 7 day after this June. I looked up the 5 & 6 day cruises, and they're all about the same. Gonna be hard to find a little variety. Wonder why they don't open it up a little?

Hard to really expand where they go, but My 5 day Destiny does Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau. Not too bad for 5 days. Also, Im sure they want the 7+ days cruises to look more appealing than the shorter cruises.

I'm sure they do, but it seems as though they would make the 5 & 6 days a

little more appealing to people that don't have as much vacation time, but prefer to spend what little they do have with Carnival. I'm soooooooo gonna miss my 7 & 8 day cruises.:(

:( Where I work has just informed us that we may no longer take our normal 2 days off then 5 vacation days, and add our 2 days(for the next week) off to that to stretch out our vacation any longer. We may only be out of work no longer than 7 days at a time.:mad: :( I think it will be hard to make it stick considering employees there have been doing this for over 30 years for some of them, but that's my opinion. That said, brings me to my original question, why aren't there different ports for the 5 & 6 day cruises rather than several ships going to the same ports? I hate that I'm not gonna be able to do another 7 day after this June. I looked up the 5 & 6 day cruises, and they're all about the same. Gonna be hard to find a little variety. Wonder why they don't open it up a little?

bubbles1209,

It sounds like your place of employment is ready to go out of business. The days of tyranic employers are OVER. :mad:

is money, and logistics ie: mileage vs time to get there.and some psycological planning thrown in. They know they will always have customers, so , so much is to their advantage..it's just business

My 5 day Destiny does Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau.

We did this 5 day when the Elation was in Port Canaveral. I really enjoyed Grand Turk and HMC. Nassau wasn't a favorite before the cruise. But it made for a nice day to enjoy the ship. I would do this route again. I do agree with Bubbles, though. They do need some different ports of call for the shorter cruises. DH & I would love to do a shorter cruise just as a get away but would want to go to a new port, too.

Your 5 days off is not between 2 weekends? That gives you 9 days?

We have been doing some 5 day cruises and basically feel that HMC and Grand Turk are 2 of the best places to go so we love it. My guess in addition to what others have said is the distance and time it takes to get to some ports. A 5 day with only 1 stop probably would not be fun to many.

bubbles1209,

It sounds like your place of employment is ready to go out of business. The days of tyranic employers are OVER. :mad:

My experience is just the opposite, more along the lines of what the OP is talking about. First they moved 2nd shift to an earlier shift, mothers with children at home no longer had flex hours. More phone calls requires of everyone. Higher and higher productivity numbers required or you were let go. They kept chopping off the bottom 10% of producers and then expecting everyone else to produce more to make up for them. This went on for about 3 years before they finally hired more people.

The years of nice ceo's is gone in several companies I know of, the focus is short term on the bottm line, not no making employees happy and satisfied. You dont like it? you can leave, and there are plenty of folks with college degrees right not looking for jobs.

Ceo's who dont produce higher and higher earnings job is on the line now too, shareholders pushing them.

The reason there arent more ships doing 5 days with different ports is there are only so many ships to go around. Ports like the new Houston port who cant even attract a ship at all. New Orleans dying for a 7 day ship from anyone.

A lot of ships were pulled to be moved to Europe where the cruiselines can make more money and in turn this ups the supply and demand at home for the cruises, fewer cruise choices = higher cruise prices that can be charged.

It sounds like they will not be allowed to sandwich the 5 days between the weekends.

The 5 days off would have to be, for example, Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with only one weekend incorporated, for a total of 7 days off.

OP- I'm sorry your employer is being so inflexible! I hope you can find a great cruise to work with the new vacation policy.

Just remember there are many of us who do not work Monday-Friday. This has become a 24/7 country. I work in retail. My normal days off are Friday and Saturday. Luckily when I went on vacation they gave me my two days off before and after my vacation even though I was told I could only take 7 days. If I wanted more time I would have had to have taken a couple more vacation days. As it is I am on LOA and can't work until October. Trust me I would rather be working than going to Chemo every two weeks. No cruise for me at all. I think your employer is making a major mistake. People deserve their vacation time. I get four weeks a year and if I choose to I can take all of it at one time. I hope they change your policy. I think this is so wrong.

Candi

I agree about the same ports on 5 day cruises but I am thinking distance might be an issue. Just how far can they make it and be back in 5 days? I've done the Grand Turk, HMC, and Nassau twice now and I think that's about it for us.

Sorry your vacation is becoming an issue. Ran into the same thing as a nurse when we were no longer allowed one "free" weekend a year. Working every other weekend that made vacation very difficult. Last year when we went to Scotland I was ready to resign or take an LOA but when I put it that way to my manager it suddenly was approved. What good is 3-4 weeks vacation if you can't use it?

I think the OP is really just upset about the vacation situation.

But Im curious what type of Itin would you like to see for a 5/6 day cruise???

We all know a 5 day is actually 6 days(Monday-Sat) and a 7 day is actually 8 days Sat. to Sat, Sun. to Sun. on a 7 day is actually 8 days. These would be some nice 5 days.

Day 1. Depart 4:00p.m.

Day 2. "Fun day at sea"

Day 3. Half Moon Cay

Day 4. St. Thomas

Day 5. "Fun day at sea"

Day 6. Return 8 a.m.

Day 1. Depart 4:00 p.m.

Day 2. "Fun day at sea"

Day 3. Grand Turks & Caicos

Day 4. San Juan Puerto Rico

Day 5. "Fun day at sea"

Day 6. Return 8 a.m.

Day 1. Depart 4:00 p.m.

Day 2. "Fun day at sea"

Day 3. Bermuda

Day 4. Bermuda

Day 5. "Fun day at sea"

Day 6. Return 8 a.m.

If you mixed these with the iteneraries they already have, you would have at least have a choice. It's gotta be doable, if they can make it from Ocho

Rios leaving at 3:30 on a Tuesday, with a fun day at sea the next day(Wed.) and make it back to Miami by 8 a.m. on a Thursday(which they do on the Imagination/Destiny 5-day W.Carib. cruise), then they could do it with what I have listed above. At least it would give us more choices. They could mix it up a little.

We have been doing some 5 day cruises and basically feel that HMC and Grand Turk are 2 of the best places to go so we love it. My guess in addition to what others have said is the distance and time it takes to get to some ports. A 5 day with only 1 stop probably would not be fun to many.

Our pay period runs Sat.- Friday, with Sat. starting a new week. My days off are Friday and Saturday. This is how I have been doing it (keep in mind that we work 2 1/2 days a week....work lunch, off dinner. Our 2 1/2 days off constitutes 1 full day off, that's where the 3rd day off came from.) They will not let us use this 3rd day any more or take another vacation day, we have to be off no longer than 7 days at a time.

Friday-off

Saturday-off

Sunday-off

Monday-vacation

Tuesday-vacation

Wed-vacation

Thurs-vacation

Fri-off

Sat-off

Sun-return to work

That was a total of 9 days

Now, it has to be this way

Friday-off

Sat. -off

Sun -vac

Mon -vac

Tue -vac

Wed-vac

Thur-vac

Fri. -return to work

We can no longer be away from work no more than 7 days:(

Really makes no sense, I have 2 assistants, and enough people to cover

the week with no overtime for anyone. I can't believe they won't bend 1 day.:(

The years of nice ceo's is gone in several companies I know of, the focus is short term on the bottm line, not no making employees happy and satisfied. You dont like it? you can leave, and there are plenty of folks with college degrees right not looking for jobs.

Ceo's who dont produce higher and higher earnings job is on the line now too, shareholders pushing them.

You are so right! I only have 20 weeks out of 52 that I can actually go on vacation and can only take one week at a time. And if the company decides there is a crisis in my area, all vacations may be cancelled.:mad: No ultimatums to them. They can pick up degreed people for less than I'm making. The only good thing is I have seniority and I book really early.:D

Archived