What To Wear - Dec 7, 2008 Sensation

Some pack a sweater for the dining room, Iv never needed one. It will be hot, mid 80s at least probably in the ports, could hit 90. You will want very summery clothes for the ports.

We did Eastern, which is just north of where you will be in January and only had one cool day. I thought the water was a tad chilly when the weather took a drop that day, but everyone else went on with their activities, we were at a private island so water activities were the only choice.

The water wouldnt be really warm, but warm enough to swim in. I like warm water. When I lived in S. Florida I got to where I didnt swim in the winter there either, Im a warm water baby. Lots from up north come down to S. Florida and swim in the winter, they dont think the water is chilly. Freeport is like 76 miles from Ft. Lauderdale, so the weather and water wouldnt be much different, even though the Bahamas are an island so be slightly warmer. Anything near the coast feels warmer from the winds off the ocean.

We are also from Michigan, last year we sailed the Eastern Carib second week of December and we will be on the Splendor December 13 this year. Summer Cloths totally. Don't forget an umbrella and/or a rain jacket and sweater but that is it. Leave the winter coat at home if at all possible - don't need to carry the extra bulk. Remember to shop the end of season specials in Michigan for the cute summer things you can bring along in December. The ship will probably be decorated for Christmas December 3. Hopefully you will be flying on a day early, last year if we had not left a day early, we would have not made it the sail date, we had a snow storm in Michigan the day we sailed. Have Fun!

I know it's cold in michigan when you leave, but I always just wore a hooded sweatshirt to the airport instead of a big winter coat. We have sailed in Jan twice and really only needed shorts and hot weather wear. I would bring some kind of sweater for the ship though. Sometimes the rooms are really chilly. We were in Nassau and I would say it was chilly in the morning when we got off the ship. But once the sun came out it warmed up. We did swim but it was kind of cold. No big deal. Much warmer than Michigan! Besides when you are in 60 degree weather it feels hot when you come from 20-30 degree michigan weather.

Hope you have a great time!

Archived