General Immersion Thread (merged)

Would you cruise an immerson cruise?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise an immerson cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - It depends how much I know about how the cruise will differ from regular cruises.

3. What is different about England than the US/Canada that could be put into an immersion cruise?

Thanks kingsgirl -- I was beginning to wonder what other posters were getting "their knickers twisted" over -- afraid to go on a "British immersion" cruise????? Yes, the Brits have an accent - but so do most of you (Americans):) . Yes, they normally speak proper English. Yes, there maybe more of them than you, but why is that a big deal? Guess I'm not getting what the whole aversion is to an immersion cruise when that cruise would still be in English (if that's the problem); English food (different meanings aside); PA's would be in English, etc. etc.

As far as an Asian immersion cruise -- sorry, but I would think that if I booked a cruise in that region I was going to be the minority -- just like when I cruise out of Miami / Ft. Lauderdale and encounter a high population of US citizens (no insult intended).

I was told by a TA that if I sailed out of San Juan to be "prepared" as the Spanish population could be high. Well, I chose to sail from San Juan and totally enjoyed the cruise and everyone I met that I got hooked on cruising!

Now, if it were an immersion cruise say from Asia, etc., I don't think it would be a good thing for us...why? Because I don't know their language, food, etc. I would feel like a foreigner.

It's just a small point, but if you are cruising in Asia, you are a foreigner! :D

I know that seeing the rest of the world from a cruise ship is only skimming the surface of another country - a sort of "Asia-lite", you could call it.

I know that many people like it that way, as they feel unsure/ unsafe/ threatened by too deep an immersion in another culture, and that is just fine for them.

We have travelled fairly widely in Asia and have found that the people are helpful, welcoming and keen to practise their English, so we would not mind an Asian immersion cruise. In fact, we're thinking of booking one based around Chinese New Year 2009.

I think that any immersion cruise (whether "British" or "Asian") would still be a US interpretation of that particular culture.

While I would willingly take such an immersion cruise, as long as I knew it from the outset, I do have some sympathy for the posters who are upset because the immersion focus of their cruise was implemented after they had booked.

PS: If our cruise ship's interpretation of "English Cheddar cheese" on our recent cruise is anything to go by, the food on a "British" cruise will still be very American!

And they will continue to be swamped with calls! :D

I'll be calling tomorrow about a cruise booked for 2009 to Greece and Egypt -- though I feel certain the vast majority of passengers will be Americans, as is usual in Europe.

I'm glad to hear the Transatlantic cruises will not be "immersion".

make sure you get whatever info you need from them in writing. i spoke to four people with four slightly different answers in the us.

apparently in the uk the answer was different.

the problem on my cruise, which leaves out of southhampton, is that over 80% of the cruisers are british. i'm not so sure that with the financial situation here in the states that as many americans will be traveling as much as before, esp internationally and definitely to europe with the devaluation of the dollar.

i want to remind everyone that this immersion thing is new for rccl re the british cruises. whatever you experienced in the past is history. i can definitely understand adding some british food and some british entertainment, but changing the entire ship after i gave the cruise line my deposit for almost one year?

i am scratching my head trying to understand the people who do not speak any chinese at all even considering to go on a cruise ship that is entirely in chinese? wow! now that's what i would consider an adventure. here's my problem. we travel as a family. i think it would be beyond difficult for my young daughter to have any fun whatsoever in the kids' club. and there are so many entertainment areas that we would be missing out on.

wow.

RCCL have assured me that there is nothing different about this cruise to all the other Independence sailings ex Southampton.

They put this 'British Immersion' header to let other markets in the world know that this is a particularly UK cruise with a large majority of UK guests onboard because it is during the traditional summer holiday period for UK residents.

Nothing will change, so I don't believe there is any reason to panic.

Actually, they now have added the "immersion" language in the description of all of the "Italian Med" cruises out of Southampton this summer, including our June 14th cruise, which has already been paid in full.

I hope the "it's not a big deal" suggestions by RCCL UK is correct, as we are well past the point of being able to do anything about it.

I would think the dining will not be a huge deal - have cruised on QM II, which has more of a British flair to their menu and definitely had more passengers from the UK. To our kids, the major disadvantage of that cruise over other cruises they have been on was not the food, but larger number of male passengers who wore Speedos. Yikes!!!

I'd do an Italian immersion cruise in a heartbeat!:D

Gee, why's that?:rolleyes: :p

I would only do one if it was in English as well. I would not like feeling isolated from everyone else. What I like best about cruising is meeting people - rather hard to do with a language barrier.

hi everyone:

here's the problem - this is a new venture for rccl. i am not used to this and apparently many other people aren't either.

i completely agree with one of the posters who said that people envision themselves "getting out there" exactly like the commercials. there are not little letters at the bottom of the screen that say that when sailing out of foreign ports, you will be immersed in that country's culture including the language. as i've said prior, i am sure that for many people that would be a cool vacation. for my family that is not.

i am angry that rccl has had my money for over one year. i am angry that i booked thousands of dollars in airfare and now have to cancel it with penalties. i am angry that i've booked a very expensive tour in rome that is non-cancellable.

i am happy that rccl told me now before my final deposit was due.

we are probably going to book another cruise on another cruise line.

Coxswain, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the most beautiful and delicious "heart attack on a plate" ever concocted -

The Ulster Fry!!!!!!!

Oh yes i'd love one now lol lol

What about some spotted dick for afters lol

jj....

That is the cruise for me!

As a transplanted New Yorker, if I opened my mouth to talk I would sound like everyone else on board. :D

A NY/NJ immersion cruise on the Explorer should have

Tony Danza as the Captain

Fran Drescher as the cruise director

Penny Marshall as the social hostess

and......

Rosie as the chief warden of the brig.

:D :) :D :) :D

Any more ideas.......

mmmmmmm, I love haggis and black pudding and bubble and squeak and heinz 57, roll on my Immersion Cruise in August, last cruise we were on we flew into Miami I was immersed in the Immigration line for two and half hours:D for those of you still reading on, At our dining table I was sat next to a wonderful chap from the USA, who immersed me quite thoroughly on grits and Chilli dogs needless to say I couldnt wait to try them:)

thanks, in that case I have just packed a pair for my cruise on Navigator in the Med this Saturday :)

Hi NellyDean. So there is someone else on here from my part of the world! Have a great time on the Navigator and don't forget to give us all some feedback :)

I wrote it down word for word from their in house 'help' system as the CSR read it to me:

On these particular sailings, there are a high percentage of guests who are sourced from outside of North America. They have been sold almost exclusively to guests from specific regions of the world, and many of the services and products onboard have been tailored to meet the needs of those guests. These include onboard programming, food & beverage, retail items onboard, and entertainment. Additionally, the primary language used onboard will, in some cases, be the local language.

Cruises affected:

Legend - Asian immersion

Enchantment, Vision and Splendour - Latin American immersion

Jewel and Vison - Scandanavian immersion

Independence - British immersion

I was one of them. Dim sum, five-spice ribs, etc. in lieu of burgers and meatloaf sounds great to me. I've been studying Mandarin for about seven months, so I think I'd have a good time even if I did manage to mangle their language.

I guess people that are bilingual or have studied the language could have fun. I am talking about people that do not speak any chinese wanting to go on a cruise with all announcements, shows, kids club, excursions, etc... are all in chinese. I think the point is that many people book interntional cruises on american cruise lines to get some of the experience of other countries but feel secure back on the ship in their native tongue. It is one thing to announce this for the future but it is another for RCCL to change the entire itinerary on a ship when many have already paid for very expensive RT airfare to that country.

You know, you are right insofar as getting the real story. You can talk to four reps and get four different answers. I'll be interested to hear what other board members hear from RCL. It's just so disappointing for some cruisers to have their dream vacation ruined like this.

And I know that some cruisers are thrilled by the decision to "immerse", but frankly, I would not be. I don't think the British immersion will cause that much disappointment, I could be wrong, but, say, an Asian or Greek one? Yes, it would absolutely ruin my plans and I would cancel.

RCL - what were you thinking??????

I say I say I say....this thread is brilliant!! Was born and raised in Rochdale (Lancs) and our family emigrated when I was 14. Here's a few more foodie stuff: mushy peas, Heinz treacle pudding (in the tin), Birds custard, Bisto, PG Tips, cheese and onion pie (from the local chippie), steak and onion pudding, HP sauce, clotted cream, real apple pie (no cinnamon!!)...but getting back to that bacon buttie....yum, American bacon just doesn't cut it does it????!!!

Trousers - Pants

Oh dear, if it is a British immerision cruise I am afriad thecoffe will be really naff!

German joke (yes there are such things - but maybe few and far between):

A German and American talking:

German: Do you know why the English drink so much tea?

American: No!

German: Have you ever tried their coffee.:eek: :D

Ron

Archived