New Luggage Limits

cruisePRN

We're cruising asia on the Quest next January. Will we have to become nudists (protect your eyes) to fly and comply with the new luggage restrictions? It's getting a wee bit out of hand. At least there's no need of formal clothes which saves a lot of room.

Hi there cruisePRN,

Like I said previously you lot in the USA have had it lucky with your 2 checked bags and 32Kg, while the rest of the World has been struggling with 1 checked bag and 20Kg, so now it appears the ever increasing cost of fuel has caught up with you!

I also here that if you fly through Heathrow in the UK they now strictly enforce the ONE (1) carry-on article, so ladies who used to have a carry-on bag and a handbag and a coat are now required to put the handbag and coat into their carry-on bag, or leave it in the terminal!:eek:

Also the 100ml rule for carry-on liquids applies to the container, so if you front with a 150ml container that is only half full (75ml) you will not allowed to take it on board, it’s the container not the contents!:(

It’s all good fun.;)

Regards, Bruce

There are no luggage limits. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to pay to bring too much stuff.:)

We travelled to Italy for 2 weeks in 2003 with all carry on luggage, including formal wear. Somehow in 4-1/2 years since then we've started packing everything under the sun. Honestly, I'm happy that somebody is forcing me to cut back to the old days.

Also the 100ml rule for carry-on liquids applies to the container, so if you front with a 150ml container that is only half full (75ml) you will not allowed to take it on board, it’s the container not the contents!:(

That's been the rule here, too, so we at least have that in common.

I'm a light packer, always have been but for 2 weeks one suitcase is gonna be hard. I need a place to pack all the stuff i buy abroad and on the ship. I'll just have to suck it up and pay the fee for a second suitcase and make i up by limiting DH to only one suitcase :D

If you fly on American, be prepared to pay for the first suitcase, too. I imagine that many, if not most, of the domestic carriers will follow suit. For now I think they're only going to charging on domestic flights, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it change internationally, too.

Hi Bruce

Actually, the rules have now been changed, once again just to confuse, for us in the UK with regard to hand luggage. We are now allowed two pieces to include one bag + handbag, or one bag + laptop bag or briefcase. Depending on the airline, the bag (holdall) has to comply either by size or weight. We are allowed two pieces of luggage to the US/Caribbean (23kgs each, but only one piece (23kgs but this varies according to airline) to Europe (and possibly Australia but I can't remember).

Rita

Remember that on American these charges for first bag checked do not apply when you are flying internationally.

By the time I fly to Hong Kong in January I'll bet they will have implemented a charge, the writings on the wall. Azamara uses Cathy pacific which is an American Air partner.

We're cruising asia on the Quest next January. Will we have to become nudists (protect your eyes) to fly and comply with the new luggage restrictions? It's getting a wee bit out of hand. At least there's no need of formal clothes which saves a lot of room.

Should see the posts flying fast & furious on the Celebrity forum on same subject, as those old die-hards are extolling the necessity of the formal and informal evenings to "complete their cruise experience" In the day and age of now NO free bags on airplanes there is little to recommend these antiquated mores of formal dress (required no less, or you're not admitted to other entertainments!) On our upcoming cruise 3 formal nights and 4 informal (according to them just slightly less formal) out of 14 days and NO laundromat!!! Talk about nickle & diming you to death...back to Azamara next cruise!

Hi there Mum,

There are some of us who like the opportunity to “put on the Ritz” occasionally, and get little chance at home now days, about the only “Formal” occasions you seem to see in the gossip pages are the year 12 high school formals, and the Governors Ball, but our invitation to that always seems to go missing in the post! :p

Anyway the last time we cruised on the Galaxy we took advantage of the Dinner Suit and Formal Dress Hire, it was marvellous not having to worry about having to bring anything, even the shoes were provided, and the cost for the twelve days was less than one Shore Excursion each.

I can highly recommend this as a good way to reduce the packing and make room for those little things we all seem to accumulate as we go along!:rolleyes:

Having said that we are off on the Journey in October, so no formal, however I have acquired a nice black jacket which will double as a dinner jacket for at least one “pretend” formal night!;)

Regards, Bruce

I am looking forward to my forthcoming Sept cruise on Quest. The only real disappointment for me is the no formal nights. Except for our school prom I have no occasion to dress up at home and this was normally the real highlight of my cruise.

Being British I have always had to pack in only one (not huge) case even when away for 3 weeks and surprisingly I have managed it. You will cope.

Pat

I am looking forward to my forthcoming Sept cruise on Quest. The only real disappointment for me is the no formal nights. Except for our school prom I have no occasion to dress up at home and this was normally the real highlight of my cruise.

Being British I have always had to pack in only one (not huge) case even when away for 3 weeks and surprisingly I have managed it. You will cope.

Pat

People do "dress" nice on Azamara...but only if you choose to, you aren't REQUIRED to do so, many did, tho few tuxes!

To BJC: that black suitjacket would be fine I think...my DH has never worn anything else but ordinary suit,,,even took a jacket on the Quest he wore it on the plane, a sports coat, as it was cold here when we left that worked out fine, sports coats are only good for the casual nights on Celebrity That said, as it's his 70th BD we'll celebrate I'm renting a Tux for him (Millennium has no womans rental) so will grin & bear it (He's never had one on..our children didn't want the fathers to wear them for weddings, and OUR wedding 47 yrs ago, he wore his US Marine Corp Dress Blues!) He loves to dress up more than I...and he looks really good still :D (Think Johnny Carson at 70) Me ...no such luck!

I prefer the country club casual to formal so I'm happy with Azamara's suggested dress code. I'll be checking the airlines frequently to see what changes they implement on their overseas flights regarding luggage and carry ons.

On our upcoming cruise 3 formal nights and 4 informal (according to them just slightly less formal) out of 14 days and NO laundromat!!! Talk about nickle & diming you to death...back to Azamara next cruise!

Our Millennium cruise (12 night Med) was my favorite so far ... a really fabulous cruise! :) We had no problem packing formal, informal and casual into one 25" expandable suitcase each. The formal nights aren't the highlight of our cruise but we did really enjoy them ... had thought we might skip one, but once on board, decided they were too good to pass up. And yes, no laundry rooms, but great laundry service at a reasonable price.

Archived