Avalon one bag?

calguy

Avalon states that you can only take one bag 30 inches or less. The handbag is limited to 11 inches. I usually take a 16 inch roll-on in the plane as my carry on so I have room of camera, laptop, and medication. I don't want to check these items and don't see how I will have room in an 11 inch carry on. Any Avalon traveler with advice or experience regarding this rule?

We each had our 30-inch suitcase and two 'within size' carry-ons. Now we had strictly a two-week on the river cruise ... and no time on a bus for land touring. That may make a difference.

Normally, Globus asks that you do not bring large carry-ons for land tours ... as they charge extra for handling more than 1 bag per person. They strongly discourage large carry-ons due to space restrictions in the bus. I would think that Avalon may have the same rule when the tour is a combination of land and river cruise.

We are on the Magnificent Europe Tour at the end of June. So we will only be on the boat. We booked our own air, but paid for the transfers to and from the boat. We have a small bag that we will use on the excursions.

That's the same trip that we were on ... you will love it ...

We used the Avalon-supplied bags for our excursions, but did bring along the larger totes for on the plane as we did another week tour on our own afterwards ... you should be fine.

You will be fine. Avalon does not allow wheeled carryons on their coach tours due to space limitations on the bus but we have many times taken a larger tote as a carryon with out a problem even on the coach tours. On a river cruise I am sure your wheeled carryon will be fine.We have taken both coach and rivercruises with Globus(Avalon).

We are planning to check 1 bag each for the flights and also have a wheeled tote for a carry on.

We will have meds, charge of clothes, camera equipment in the wheeled carry on.

We will only be on a bus from the hotel to the river vessel and then for the transfer from Nuremburg to Prague.

Will we have problems with a wheeled carry on bag that can be put in the luggage compartment of the bus.

Thanks,

Emily

No, you should have no trouble. I think that they put in the restriction for tours that go several days via coach.

Taking meds along with you is a good idea ... with my husband's heart condition, we need to have him medications available as we travel. We also keep in the carry-on an extra set of undies and a shirt, so that if we get stranded from our bag, that we can at least change clothes.

Hope you have a wonderful time. We did ... in fact, I wish we were back on one of the ships right now ... but I guess that will have to wait until next year.

We are planning to check 1 bag each for the flights and also have a wheeled tote for a carry on.

We will have meds, charge of clothes, camera equipment in the wheeled carry on.

We will only be on a bus from the hotel to the river vessel and then for the transfer from Nuremburg to Prague.

Will we have problems with a wheeled carry on bag that can be put in the luggage compartment of the bus.

Thanks,

Emily

There should be no problem. While we were on a different itinerary, we had the same situation as you, and there was no problem.

Archived